Answered

Huawei Health: Significant Problems After May 5th Update (9.0.4.393)

I know this is covered in a couple of threads, but I seem to have had more problems than most, so I'm going to document them here.

1. Step count is now useless. At best, it only records the steps on the 'phone and ignores the wearable (Band 3 Pro) completely. As such, it can genuinely be thousands of steps out unless you carry your 'phone at all times. Accessing the wearable from within the app gives the correct information, however, so the 'phone can still see it.
  2. Home screen steps no longer graph either. While it records a number (... but see #1, above), it will sit forever trying to show the hourly breakdown
  3. Sleep tracking is the other way around... it shows the graph/breakdown, but doesn't give an aggregate value on the main app screen
You'll know if you have the dodgy latest version not just by the broken functionality, but by the new QR scanner function in the top-right, next to your wearable "icon".

Headline: Huawei, you critically broke this application five days ago, to the point where it's borderline useless. Don't just look to identify and fix the problem - revert the latest commits, re-tag the application, and push a rolled-back apk to the Play Store ASAP, please. That would immediately give everyone back the functionality they've lost without resorting to the steps below, which many users will be wary of and no user should have to do anyway.

Workaround

1. Download 9.0.4.387 from apkmirror.com (you may need to check your chip instruction set)
  2. Enable third-party sources
  3. Sync your device and the app (to make sure latest data is in the cloud)
  4. Uninstall 9.0.4.393 (you need to do this because Play will prevent you from downgrading otherwise)
  5. Install the downloaded version
  6. Re-connect your device
  7. If required, re-connect your account
Other Observations

I didn't lose any data by uninstalling/re-installing. YMMV, so at your own risk. If you lose data, if your house collapses, or if your kitten drowns as a result, it's not my fault.

After installing the earlier version, all graph data is available. That means that the sync is working properly - it feels like a database error, therefore. Similarly, the correct wearable step count is now shown, which means that value is being captured and processed correctly - it's the display in the app that's broken beyond repair.

I expect that the application will not now automatically update from the Play Store if and when a new version is released. That's because it's no longer installed from the Play Store, so that link has been broken. As such, anyone who goes down the road above will need to keep an eye on play.google.com or the Play app to see if the "last updated" date changes, then re-install.

Devices/versions

• Huawei Band 3 Pro firmware 1.0.10.52(C00)
  • OnePlus 6t A6013 (OxygenOS9.0.13, build A6013_41_190403)
  • Huawei Health 9.0.4.393
Other threads here and here.
icon

Best answer by Ove 13 May 2019, 03:52

Dear friends,
This issue has been fixed in version 9.0.4.396, and new version is released in batches, please wait patiently for update.
View original

19 replies

Update: I can't seem to edit the original post any more, so....

1. No, the link with the Play Store is not broken. As such, you'll still be offered updates - initially, straight back to the current, broken version. I suggest you switch off automatic updating for the time being, therefore (you can do it at the app level, so other apps still update).

2. If you've linked Health with e.g. Google Fit, you'll need to re-associate these applications after un/re-installing as well. In my case, Fit still knew about Health (pull), but Health didn't know about Fit any more to allow the data sharing, so I simply had to toggle that again.
Userlevel 4
Badge
It looks like Huawei have now pulled update .393. My play store only shows .387
.393 still available here (UK), both web and 'phone.
Userlevel 4
Badge
.396 just out.

Userlevel 4
Badge
I've just updated to .396 and left my phone at home whilst I went on a walk. Came back to find the steps updated correctly so fingers crossed, but this update seems to have fixed it.
Userlevel 1
I've just updated : it's fix now 🙂 🙂 All works good
.387 showing for me, but I guess that's just a propagation delay. Thanks for the update.
I updated to ver. 396. Steps counting and synchronizing is ok but bluetooth connection with honor band 4 is not stable. I came back again to ver. 387 which works correctly for me.
Interestingly....

1. play.google.com is showing a version from May 10th (no version number shown, but presume .396)
  2. My 'phone is offering me .387 from the Play Store
  3. My wife's 'phone (same carrier, same brand, same location!) is offering .393
Some serious CDN/caching issues going on somewhere in the mix, but pay attention if you are updating!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Dear friends,
This issue has been fixed in version 9.0.4.396, and new version is released in batches, please wait patiently for update.
.396 installed here now, and seemingly working. I'll keep an eye on sleep tracking, however, given reports if problems with that.
Userlevel 4
Badge
.396 installed here now, and seemingly working. I'll keep an eye on sleep tracking, however, given reports if problems with that.

Sleep, steps etc, are syncing fine for me with my Mate 20 Pro and Watch 2.
I have an Huawei Watch GT-E54 and for the past couple of days the app is not updating or syncing with the watch. Will there be a software update to fix this problem?

Cheers
Corey
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Corey ,

I've moved your post to this thread, which covers the recent issues with the health app. Hopefully you'll have an update and this will resolve the issue as Ove highlights:

Dear friends,
Confirmation that all seems to work well once again with .396.

@Corey check your version in the app (Me -> About) and get/await an update from Google Play, especially if you're on .393.
Appreciate the responses...Firmware update = 1.0.7.42

click on CHECK FOR UPDATES = No new version.

When will there be a software update to fix this problem?

Cheers
Corey
updated....sleep not displaying!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

@Ove just replied in this thread about the bugs since the last update. There should be a new version available.
Userlevel 1
.393 still available here (UK), both web and 'phone.Interestingly....

1. play.google.com is showing a version from May 10th (no version number shown, but presume .396)
  2. My 'phone is offering me .387 from the Play Store
  3. My wife's 'phone (same carrier, same brand, same location!) is offering .393
Some serious CDN/caching issues going on somewhere in the mix, but pay attention if you are updating!

If u still have problems try hard factory reset but make a backup first before doing.
I had the same problem on some apps turns out hard factory reset fixed it.