Having problems with your device? Try to reset your phone!

• 5 December 2018
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Community Manager
  • 2360 replies
In some cases it's possible to fix some issues yourself. If you are having issues with your device, please try the tips below!

Having issues after a recent update?
We recommend that you delete the cache memory of the phone, following the steps below:

1. Turn the device off completely.
2. Press and hold the volume up + power key at the same time, until you get into the recovery menu.
3. Select "Wipe cache partition" (navigate by using the volume keys and power button to select).
4. Confirm the action by selecting "Wipe cache partition" again.
5. At the end of this process, the recovery menu appears for the second time - select "Reboot system now".

Note: Please make sure to select Wipe cache partition, and not Wipe data/factory reset - the latter will erase all data on the internal storage of the device.

If this doesn't work, please try to reset your device as described below:

Reset your phone
Reset network settings
If your phone starts to slow down, this can be due to long-term accumulation of caches and residual files, you can reset your Phone to erase these cached files completely. This will restore your Wi-Fi, mobile data network, and Bluetooth settings, including hotspot tethering and Bluetooth pairing information. It won"t change other settings on your Phone, or delete any data or files.

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset network settings, touch Reset network settings, and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Restore all settings
This will restore your device"s initial network settings, fingerprint data, face data, and lock screen passwords. It won't reset settings for Find my Phone or HUAWEI ID, nor will it delete any data or files.

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset all settings, touch Reset all settings, and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Restore factory settings
First, make a back-up. Restoring the factory settings will delete all data in your device"s memory and storage, including your account settings, system settings, app data, installed apps, music, images, and documents, and restore your Phone to its original factory settings. So, back up your data before restoring your device!

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset phone, touch Reset phone, enter the screen unlock password (if any), and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Still having issues? Go to our F.A.Q. topic or ask a question.

27 replies

but, i buy this phone only 2 days ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Md. Rayhan Islam,

What phone are you using? And are you having problems with your device? If so, it's best to try the reset, even if you only bought it 2 days ago. Please let us know if this solved your issues. 🙂
Hi there ...i have the same issue...the volume is very low....youtube ...duo call. phone calls....even in duo is decreasing....during the call...if i restart.....on youtube and music...is getting ok...but after a few minutes willl decrease.....very low quality phone....mate 20 pro...i mean...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Doggy6666,

I just answered your topic. 🙂 Please take a look at my comment here.
My work profile is locked every time after a system update on 10 pro:

https://uk.community.huawei.com/software-17/work-profile-broken-876

Does a backup include a locked work profile? Last time I lost my data in the work profile and this time I' m still searching for a solution but It seems you can either use the work profile or disable the system updates. 😕
We are waiting just wanna say that the p30 pro is also affected by the bug 😉
Same for my p20 pro. None of the steps above did the trick.
Hello I have problem and I hope I get solution ,Whenever I plug the original earphone for Huawei mate 20 pro I start listening and when I stop listening for a while it stop working like it's unplugged and thank you.
Good afternoon. I have a problem and I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have even reset the settings and performed a factory reset. The GPS on my P Smart 2019, will not use mobile data to find location. The option isn't even available in the settings, only WiFi scanning and Bluetooth scanning are available. I have followed the path; Settings> Security & Privacy> Location access> Advanced settings.

This issue means that when I am out and about I can't use apps such as Google maps, or any games where it tracks your location. I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue as all phones should be able to perform this task easily.
Hi @Amy

Restore factory settings:
What can I do, when Huawei pushes an update automatically onto my phone WITHOUT asking me first? How do I make a backup so I don't loose all my data when the update fails and I get stuck with a non working eRecovery?

https://uk.community.huawei.com/software-40/load-honor-screen-after-reboot-stf-l09-9-0-1-162-c432e2r1p5-4131

We really like to know how to recover from Huawei's mistake with our data intact!
After restet of the phone and recovery of all data the keyboard is not working anymore. What should I do? I was not able to use my phone anymore..
In some cases it's possible to fix some issues yourself. If you are having issues with your device, please try the tips below!

Reset your phone
Reset network settings
If your phone starts to slow down, this can be due to long-term accumulation of caches and residual files, you can reset your Phone to erase these cached files completely. This will restore your Wi-Fi, mobile data network, and Bluetooth settings, including hotspot tethering and Bluetooth pairing information. It won"t change other settings on your Phone, or delete any data or files.

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset network settings, touch Reset network settings, and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Restore all settings
This will restore your device"s initial network settings, fingerprint data, face data, and lock screen passwords. It won't reset settings for Find my Phone or HUAWEI ID, nor will it delete any data or files.

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset all settings, touch Reset all settings, and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Restore factory settings
First, make a back-up. Restoring the factory settings will delete all data in your device"s memory and storage, including your account settings, system settings, app data, installed apps, music, images, and documents, and restore your Phone to its original factory settings. So, back up your data before restoring your device!

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset phone, touch Reset phone, enter the screen unlock password (if any), and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Still having issues? Go to our F.A.Q. topic or ask a question.

Maybe you can right but I don't want to losing my data! When I woke up in the this morning, my phone wanted to screen lock password instead of fingerprints. I tried opening my fingerprint but it didin't work. How can I open my phone with my fingerprint ? Additionally when I first created screen lock, system took some information from me. Where is forgot password setting of the closed phone ?
I'm not getting system updates for half a year still mui 8.2
I don't want to lose the necessary info. i will go better on iphone. I didn't have such a problem with them.
Userlevel 1
Much problems will get solved by reseting a phone, but for me there is alot of important data on it. I could create a backup of my whole phone with titanium backup, does anyone could confirm that this is actually safe?
Much problems will be solved if you buy another phone....not huawei...if you like to reset weekly very fine...stay with huawei...if you don t change...i prefer to tell everybody to avoid huawei...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Doggy6666,

Sorry to see that you feel this way... . Please reach out to our official support channels if you still need assistance: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/.

I hope we can do something for you!
a lighter variator will be replaced by a telephone manufacturer in another manufacturer
Hi All,
day before yesterday i got a update and after that my phone (Honor 9 lite ) complete slow process if i want to any application it will take hardly 5 mins and suddenly it will open automatically some of the application.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Jayalekshmi t - I moved your post here as this topic covers how to back up and reset your phone, which i hope resolves your problem. Let me know if this doesn't help.
another offer without reset offer. because nothing new i do.without reset?
Just delete the cache in Huawei Health app, no need to reset phone in Android 9.
I am not sure is it because of latest updates. But since yesterday I am not able to play any media files in my phone. Even whatsapp stops working when I try to download or play video in it.
On trying to restart device pop-up does not come which shows options as Turn Off and restart.
is performing 'factory reset' is the ultimate solution for almost any issue?
Why?
should we assume that the software updates released periodically are corrupting the system?
for example my Huawei P20 Pro had been having GPS issues since the last major update early this year and i couldn't find other solution others than reset my phone
why is that?
Since the overnight update to EMUI 9.1.0, I have not been able to access my wifi - it keeps telling me 'access denied'. I have tried re-setting everything short of a factory reset. Is a factory reset seriously the only solution offered in cases of problems after updates? Why issue updates if they're not fail-safe! I do not currently have the time to factory reset and reinstall everything on my phone.