Answered

"Huawei Email wants to access your Google Account"

• 2 October 2019
  • 5 replies

My P20 Lite was updated, and for a while I lost access to Playstore and email. Then another update happened and I can now use Play Store.

However when I try to access Gmail I now have to go through a Google authorisation page which says:
"Huawei Email wants to access your Google Account. This will allow Huawei to read, compose, send and permanently delete all your email from Gmail"

I don't think I signed up to anything so draconian before, and I can't see why Huawei needs to see my google login details - surely they are stored in the Gmal app, which directly talks to the Gmal servers?

What's happening please? I don't need to share my login details with Microsoft when I access Gmail from a Windows PC.

Thanks for your help
David
icon

Best answer by drking 2 October 2019, 14:37

Thanks - they answered the phone very quickly and it was soon clear what had happened. One of the updates had removed the Gmail app icon, and then put the Huawei email icon on the front screen. I had been trying to access Gmail through the Huawei app (which reasonably would have needed my google credentials) - thinking it was the Gmail app.

I hate updates!! But it works now, and I am glad to rejoin the 21st centruy.

Thanks again for your advice
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Do you happen to be using the Huawei ID feature on your P20 Lite?
Sometimes this can ask for your Google Services authority. I'm sure I was asked this question when I swapped to the P30 Pro.
I don't think I have a Huawei ID. But it is the Google authorisation process which seems to be asking me, not Huawei directly.

Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don't think I have a Huawei ID. But it is the Google authorisation process which seems to be asking me, not Huawei directly.

Thanks!

That's interesting.
I wonder whether its a basic functionality feature.
May be worth calling their support team on 08000 886 700.
Thanks - they answered the phone very quickly and it was soon clear what had happened. One of the updates had removed the Gmail app icon, and then put the Huawei email icon on the front screen. I had been trying to access Gmail through the Huawei app (which reasonably would have needed my google credentials) - thinking it was the Gmail app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @drking,

That's great news!
I'm glad you are sorted and continue to enjoy your P20 Lite.

Have a great day. ☺