Answered

Action images

Hi I'm new to the P20 pro and want to take some good action shots of off road cycling, any tips or suggestions please as just can not seem to get s crisp image
icon

Best answer by chillphone 22 October 2018, 22:50

I don't have the p20 but I would recommend aiming the camera at a spot the travelling object would pass thru and hold down the shutter to take multiple shots so you will hopefully capture before and after it passed your focal point. Another traditional way is to pan with the moving object and take multiple shots. Try and ensure you have good lighting as well so you can focus quickly on the object.
If it's night possible test with the light trails setting although for this it might work best with a tripod or static support for your device.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I don't have the p20 but I would recommend aiming the camera at a spot the travelling object would pass thru and hold down the shutter to take multiple shots so you will hopefully capture before and after it passed your focal point. Another traditional way is to pan with the moving object and take multiple shots. Try and ensure you have good lighting as well so you can focus quickly on the object.
If it's night possible test with the light trails setting although for this it might work best with a tripod or static support for your device.
Thanks chillphone I didn't realise you could take multiple shots I'll give it a go.
Panning and multiple shots - at least one will normally be good and in-focus. It is usually easier to get in-focus shots if you are closer to the action (but this does of course carry risks to yourself). When I have taken these types of photos I usually find a tree or barrier close to the action that I can hide behind. Also think of composition - standard side-on shots are not as exciting as shots from different angles. Think about shooting from low down looking up to the riders face. Also plan in advance - try to get a position where something will happen, e.g. a corner, or start of a sprint, or start of the race when everyone is more compact. Also hill climbs are a good place, where the bikes are going slower. On P20 you can experiment with portrait mode, which will separate a single rider from the pack for a dynamic photo.
Userlevel 4
The biggest thing here is lighting. To ensure the fastest shutter speed, which will in turn 'freeze' the action, make sure what you're shooting is in as much light as possible.

Make sure the light is even, uniform, and aimed at your subject matter. This will help the phone get the image as sharp as possible for you.

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings