Question

P20 Pro Camera app freeze and front camera not working?

• 22 April 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi, I have a bit of an unusual problem with my P20 Pro.

I have had it a few months and it has been flawless up to this past weekend where I noticed the camera wouldn't switch to the selfie camera in the camera app. After trying to switch to the selfie camera, which wouldn't switch at all, the camera app itself would freeze straight away after trying to switch to the selfie camera (but the phone itself didn't, I could easily back out of the camera app and close it completely). The front camera still works no problem, but it doesn't matter if it's the camera app or snapchat for example, the selfie (front camera) won't load or switch to it at all, infact, snapchat has stopped showing the switch camera icon all together. I haven't dropped the phone or damaged it in any other way since I've had it.

I have tried many google searches for the problem but haven't found much success.
I have made sure my phone is completely up to date by visiting the phone update tab and by testing for updates via the hisuite application on my computer.
I have reset the camera app and camera cache.
I have tried restarting, shutting down and powering back on the phone a good few times.

Please note that I hadn't downloaded any new apps or changed any settings close to the time this problem started happening.

Nothing I have tried so far has worked, Has anyone got any ideas to what is happening? I pray this is just a software bug which will be fixed by an update.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Have you tried testing the hardware using the hicare app? it may unfortunately be an hardware issue but the app should be able to diagnose this for you.

Regards Jase
When I test the front camera with the hicare app it loads a black screen then asks if an image appears. When I click no I'm given these options.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Yeah it might very well be faulty and will need repaired under warranty. although a bit of a pain in behind it may be wise to try a full factory reset first though. It might just cure the problem and is worth a try. Just make sure you back everything up first. Let us know how you get on

Regards Jase
Having the same issue too. I'm having a suspicion Huawei has made these phones with planned obselence. It having problems the so close to the release of the p30pro is very sketchy
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Ajaay27,

Sorry to hear of the situation of your device.

Giving that you have performed a remote diagnosis for your device, in this case I would recommend having the device inspected by one of our engineers at the service center for a more hands-on approach.
For the UK region you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
Having the same issue too. I'm having a suspicion Huawei has made these phones with planned obselence. It having problems the so close to the release of the p30pro is very sketchy
Hello @Tameggu . I am having the same issue too. I have P30 Pro when I bought the phone everything was working just fine. Until I updated to ver. 9.1.0.153 earlier front camera was still working perfect until this happened. I have never dropped or encountered anything that may cause this issue on my phone. Now system updated to 9.1.0.168 but issue was not fixed, the front camera is still not opening/working at all. 😭

I am having this exact issue with my p20. My front facing “selfie” camera is not working. It does not show up as an option on snapchat anymore and when i open the camera app and select to switch camera, the app closes. I had a repair shop look at the phone and the camera is not damaged. This is all since a phone update. Can you please provide me with a solution as i don't want send my phone off as i need it on a daily basis.