Photography: Default storage settings

Hello Huawei community.
I'm planning to take a star trails timelapse with the P20 Pro and realized I'll need more storage. After some search on alternatives to expand memory I came across with an OTG thing, which I can connect an external flash drive to the phone. Awesome. However, I didn't find anything to change the default storage settings to the external device, so the pictures are saved to the internal storage anyway. On Settings > Storage it shows an option "Default Location", but it gives only the "Internal Storage" option, even with the external device connected and accessible. And on the stock Camera app, there's no option to change the storage settings as well 😥
Does anybody know if there Is a way to save the pictures straight to the external device, without having to move them manually? Or any other option to have the memory expanded even temporarily?

Thanks in advance.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
hi @FFerrari you might try using a different camera app. i'm not sure about your situtaion, but open camera on play store is free and very configurable and you can definately set the storage location.

cheers

steve
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
hi again

i just checked and open camera will save to an external usb drive.

cheers

steve
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I just got an update on this from the XDA forum for Android Pie (9) and there's no option in the default camera app to save on anything but internal storage.

Pro hardware, Amateur software :-(

Steve

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings