Question

AOD with Official Huawei Mate 20 Pro Smart View Flip Case

• 11 November 2018
  • 18 replies

Hello everyone !

here is the issue, i don't think its a bug but might be, i have purchased with my phone this case :

Official Huawei Mate 20 Pro Smart View Flip Case - Black

Its the official huawei smart flip case, and huawei have an option to turn on Alway on display on the window of the case.
When i close the case, the AOD show's up for 10sec and dissapear, the only way to make it come back is to press the power button and it show the time for 10sec and then turn off again.

i tried everything but can't make it work :
here is the model : LYA-L29
EMUI 9.0.0
build 9.0.0.122 (C432E10R1P16)

Is this a bug ? a software problem ? or is it designed that way ?

for example when i listen to music and close the case the control appear on the window of the case but dissapear after 10sec so completly useless the point of the case is to access to some information via that windows and you should not need to press the power button to acces them its the entire purpose of this type of case..

i'm kinda mad because the phone is awesome but this with the notification issue just make huawei look bad you know..

Thank you for your time !
Sincerly Token

18 replies

Agree! Bought it today - love the design and everything but why on earth does it deactivate always on display??!! Huawei, please fix it or at least give us the option to choose. Without aod the case loses its purpose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I think this is as intended, as leaving always on without moving pixels might lead to screen burn.
Don't think that's the reason because the aod works fine without the case and the pixels stays up without moving
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Don't think that's the reason because the aod works fine without the case and the pixels stays up without moving
I think they do change.. Or maybe I'm going mad lol but swear it moves a little...
If burn in is the reason they could just move the clock up an down in the visible window until something 7s triggered at which point the clock could return to it's standard upper position.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
If burn in is the reason they could just move the clock up an down in the visible window until something 7s triggered at which point the clock could return to it's standard upper position.
Hopefully they will change this in a software update.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I don't generally like flip cases, but given the absence of decent screen protection and the added functionality of the 'smart view' I opted for this. It's decent quality but the view is very basic with no third party notifications (just like the AOD). In the absence of AOD notifications, what puzzles me is why they didn't provide a cut out to allow you to see the led notification light. As it stands, with the case closed there is now no way whatsoever to see whether you have a notification. That's not too smart is it?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I understand why the AOD doesn't stay on in the window - this would be a burn in risk. It comes on when you receive a notification (although only displays what it is if it's an SMS, call or alarm (Huawei defaults)) and then switches off again in 10 seconds.

My main issue here is, that in the absence of third party notifications on the AOD, the notifications led is a godsend - and this case covers it! I'm sure the case could have been designed to allow the led to remain visible. If I'm feeling brave I might try my own modification. Perhaps a leather punch would allow creation of a neat hole in the right place?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hello everyone !

here is the issue, i don't think its a bug but might be, i have purchased with my phone this case :

Official Huawei Mate 20 Pro Smart View Flip Case - Black

Its the official huawei smart flip case, and huawei have an option to turn on Alway on display on the window of the case.
When i close the case, the AOD show's up for 10sec and dissapear, the only way to make it come back is to press the power button and it show the time for 10sec and then turn off again.

i tried everything but can't make it work :
here is the model : LYA-L29
EMUI 9.0.0
build 9.0.0.122 (C432E10R1P16)

Is this a bug ? a software problem ? or is it designed that way ?

for example when i listen to music and close the case the control appear on the window of the case but dissapear after 10sec so completly useless the point of the case is to access to some information via that windows and you should not need to press the power button to acces them its the entire purpose of this type of case..

i'm kinda mad because the phone is awesome but this with the notification issue just make huawei look bad you know..

Thank you for your time !
Sincerly Token

Unfortunately, it's designed that way.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Don't think that's the reason because the aod works fine without the case and the pixels stays up without movingI think they do change.. Or maybe I'm going mad lol but swear it moves a little...

Yeah, the AOD definitely moves. More restricted space for movement within the smart view window so that might explain why no AOD option with it.
This is really a shame. I feel huawei is right up there in terms of hardware but the software Emui 9 is really behind. Why provide a cover with a view if the oad turns off? It is almost like a bad prank. Notifications management is also really poor. The phone is your main communication device so these things are the absolute basics. Such a shame given the device itself is great.
Same problem! I've already send email in official Huawei support. I'll be waiting...
Huawei update software ASAP!
Hi,same problem, ive just brought a case and am really disappointed that the time etc goes off in seconds 🤔 pretty pointless really as that's one reason i purchased x
Userlevel 4

That's the generally accepted norm, but it would require effort and taking consumer feedback - very little chance of that happening with Huawei.
Yeah, same issue here unfortunately. I bought this case thinking it would allow me to use the AOD. Was very disappointed to discover that wasn't the case.

The cover is of great quality and has a nice tactile feel to it. I also like that is protects both sides of the phone, but not being able to see the notification LED or the AOD is annoying.

If I can use the AOD without a case, why wouldn't it function with a case? Surely this Huawei can fix this via a software patch.
Userlevel 4
Yeah, same issue here unfortunately. I bought this case thinking it would allow me to use the AOD. Was very disappointed to discover that wasn't the case.

The cover is of great quality and has a nice tactile feel to it. I also like that is protects both sides of the phone, but not being able to see the notification LED or the AOD is annoying.

If I can use the AOD without a case, why wouldn't it function with a case? Surely this Huawei can fix this via a software patch.

There are many things Huawei could fix with a software patch
6 months later and still the same 😕 no answer no development. Actually, the p30 has exactly the same issue. Either huawei doesn't listen or doesn't apply common sense. What's the point of a window if you can't see through it? It's like building a house where the windows have a permanent shutter. OK, if you press a button it would open for 10 seconds... I still love the 20x with its 5000 mAh battery and the cover is such a great idea. It was just too close to perfection to be true 😞
The crazy thing is when I first got the smart view case for my Mate 10 Pro the smart view used to show both album art and music controls for 3rd party apps, Power Amp definitely worked with artwork and controls in the window, may have worked with Spotify too but I'm not 100% sure. After an update I lost this functionality so I really don't understand why things went backwards at all! Very annoying to loose a function that was so useful.