Answered

Battery Mate Pro 20.

• 23 November 2018
  • 19 replies

So I recently upgraded to the Mate 20 Pro and love it. However I've noticed something unusual.

When I go into settings > battery. One minute it tells me at 75% I have over 30 hours remaining and then at 70 I have over 16 hours. I dunno how it can go down dramatically.

Is this normal??
icon

Best answer by chillphone 24 November 2018, 20:58

The AI chip is continually developing battery optimisation based on your ongoing usage so it will never be the same hours at a particular percentage based on the users historical use.

Over time it should balance out as it develops a battery optimisation based on your historical use.

Importantly you should easily be getting a full days use without a charge and fast charging will get you to around 70% battery in around 30mins or so.
View original

19 replies

*bump* can any one answer this or tell me what time duration they have when at 100% as I swear mine use to be over 40 hours at full charge but now at full charge it says 34.. Is this a software issue not reading the battery properly? Only had phone for a week. Would hate to think I have faulty battery.

Plus how are these reviews saying Netflix etc are only using 5% for an hour stream. Mine uses up 20% for an hour. I'm I missing something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
The AI chip is continually developing battery optimisation based on your ongoing usage so it will never be the same hours at a particular percentage based on the users historical use.

Over time it should balance out as it develops a battery optimisation based on your historical use.

Importantly you should easily be getting a full days use without a charge and fast charging will get you to around 70% battery in around 30mins or so.
Thank you so much for your reply. It must be because I'm constantly on Netflix and its taken that into account. Does that mean then with me watching Netflix all the time I'm essentially weakening the battery life or its just calculating the hours remaining due to my usage?
Userlevel 3
Badge
The software is trying to tell you more accurately how long you specifically will get from the battery. The battery of the phone isn't getting weaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Netflix isn't ruining your battery.

Your phone is just estimating battery life based on various usage.

I'm getting around 6/7 hours screen time.
I don't really worry about the battery as I know I'll get a full days use without issue.

Certain applications are more power intensive like games etc as they require more processing power.

If I ever get to 10% I just drop it into ultra power saving mode so I know I'll easily have 10+ hours battery for just calls / text until I can charge again.

Your phone battery anxiety days should be over 😀
Thank you both for your replies it starting to make sense now. I do feel though, although the battery is learning, I feel that the power is still being consumed a lot more than originally purchased.

For example I watch YouTube videos and when I first got the phone the percentage would stay at 100 for a good 20mins but now I can consume 5% in 5 minutes.

So I was worried had a default battery but as you said its giving me more accurate times etc

Hi Guys I'm back. Yes I'm paranoid about my battery. I understand the battery optimises itself based on previous usage but surely this isn't right as my battery drains quickly just from using the Internet. Normally my 100 % would last me a good mins but now it drops 6% within 10 mins and the battery says I have 14h. That's not even a day. So surely the battery is optima sing all wrong?? Help would be grateful xx

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
For comparison

So should I be worried?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Look at your battery and apps which apps are taking resources?

I'm guessing you have a rogue app.
I will do, but all the apps are the defaults ones

These are all my apps, can anyone see any rogue apps? *
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Fenris1988,

Rogue apps none that i can see, but there is a high consumption on Snapchat, but don`t worry given time the AI of the phone will optimize the device even more to ensure you have a full days worth of battery.

Hope this helps,
Max
Thank you Max. Appreciate the feedback.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Sorry to dig up an old topic but roughly how long does the AI take to do it's thing and improve its optimisation?

Thanks,

Rik.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Rik,

Looks like the community doesn't have an answer. Please reach out to our official support channels for more information https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Your phone constantly monitors battery usage so it can give a fairly accurate prediction of what's remaining. This is always an approximation so shouldn't be seen to be too exact.

Sometimes the monitoring electronics gets it's knickers in a twist and can report false values. The old trick to reset this is to fully discharge the battery and then the monitoring start again from scratch, then charge it fully.

If you want to discharge your phone completely, you can run one of the riveting 10 hour videos here:

[9:56 Hours] Train Journey to the Norwegian Arctic Circle, WINTER [1080HD] SlowTV

Run the battery all the way down, then charge it fully and that can often reset the internal battery electronics.

Hope this helps

Steve
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Sorry to dig up an old topic but roughly how long does the AI take to do it's thing and improve its optimisation?

Thanks,

Rik.

Im not totally sure ( couldnt find a definitive mention) but you should get a full days use from day one regardless.

It will get better over time but I think a good few weeks of cycling the battery , back on charge etc would be enough for the phone to establish your battery consumption habits.