Question

Bluetooth unstable Mate 20 Pro

Hi I have had my new P20 Mate Pro for 3 days now and love everything about it apart from the Bluetooth connection , when connecting it to my car hands free it connects as soon as i get in the car but every 2 mins it drop out and reconnects constantly which causes the music/radio to stop for 3-4 seconds every time , This is VERY annoying .

I have tried reconnecting, re paring, clearing ALL other existing handsets from car ( my Sony ZX which had no such issues for over 2 years) , cleared all cache , updated to the latest software on both phone and car sat and STILL it connects then reconnect constantly. when i look at the handset as it is reconnecting the Bluetooth setting are switching calls and media share on and off ??

If i don't get this sorted in the next couple of days i will be sending the phone back to Vodafone for an alternative.

HAS ANYONE OUT THERE FOUND A SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM?

thanks one frustrated 1st time Huawei customer .

17 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hey @capitalcookie, welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing this on your first Huawei device!

Have you tried resetting the network settings? Please attempt fixing this issue by following these steps: open Settings > System > Reset > Network Settings reset > Tap on Reset network settings button! Restart your device, then try connecting again!

Please let us know if this was helpful!

Kind regards,
Jack
Hi JackJ

Yes i spoke to an adviser from Huawei yesterday and did what you suggest , but it has not helped at all.

it seems to be a common fault with the bluetooth by all accounts? , i only wish i had read reviews before I picked the Huawei
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I'm sorry about the disappointment!

Your device might have a manufacturing fault. If you have purchased it less then a month ago, you might want to take it back to the retailer for a replacement.

If that's not possible, you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Or if you would like I can also facilitate this for you via PM.

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Might be the power save functionality closing whatever car app you are using. In power management, you can switch to manual, try that see if you can find the app effected.

As it's early days the device tries to learn your power use habits when in auto mode and u fortunately sometimes has some odd quirks like this.
I'm having the exact same problem with my p30 pro, and you are right, it is insanely annoying. I have found a work around which might help.

If you start your car then restart the phone before you set off, it seems to put the phone into a state where whatever power saving thing causing the problem kicks in, keeping your Bluetooth connection stable. You can still make and receive calls using your hands free.

It is annoying having to remember to do this before every journey, but not as annoying as it losing its connection every 90 seconds.

Hope this is useful. Let me know if it works for you.
Hi.

I recently purchased a Mate 20 pro. I Have two problems with the phon3:

1.- The earphones that comes with the Phone are not detected. I Have to open Spotify for the Phone to detect them, but if put the music on pause and the screen goes off, I have to unplug and plug the earphones again to be able to hear the music.

2.- This is the most annoying. The Phone connects fine to my car vía Bluetooth. But when I receive a call, I cannot hear the other person, but they can hear me. I checked the connection, and turned on the enable calls button, but it did not help.

I had a Motorola Z play 2, never had these issues. The mate is supposed to be a better phone.

Please help. This is really annoying.

Riky Vargas.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @El riky welcome to the community. I've moved your post here as this thread covers similar issues with the bluetooth. Can you follow JackJ's advice and let us know if this works?

Have you tried resetting the network settings? Please attempt fixing this issue by following these steps: open Settings > System > Reset > Network Settings reset > Tap on Reset network settings button! Restart your device, then try connecting again!

Kind regards,
Jack
I have also tried the suggestions above and having no luck.

Please can this be looked into further. As I mentioned in an earlier message. When the device is restarted at not unlocked, the connection remains stable.

Please can Huawei developers look further into this extremely annoying problem.

This is really spoiling my enjoyment of the phone.
Userlevel 2
I have a Mate 20x and have similar problems. It started with some cheap Bluetooth earbuds cymutting out which I put down to them being low budget. But I've since noticed my phone disconnecting from my car and my LG Bluetooth speaker in our living room.

I tried connecting my wife's iPhone to the LG speaker and I can walk round the house and it still work. With my phone I can literally leave the phone on the speaker and it keeps cutting out. I've tried to resolve this too with the above steps but nothing has changed.

I think this will just be one of those annoying features that never gets fixed and next time makes us consider other devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I flagged this thread for our support team again. 🙂
I'm having the same problem, brand new Mate 20 with the latest available EMUI.

Moved from my old faithfull P8, stable and reliable bluetooth conection is a must! I'm about to return the device.

Kind regards,
Jack

I can confirm that this procedure solved my bluetooth issues🙂. Thanks!
Hi. I've had the occasional disconnection problem with my Mate 20 Pro in the past. It didn't happen with the car but did with my Sony WH-1000MX2s. After the latest software update on the Mate, however, it is much worse. It doesn't disconnect and reconnect but seems to stall for 0.5 second every minute or so. It seems to lose synchronisation. Sometimes sufficiently badly that if playing a video (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon etc) the video can pause just a tiny bit. I thought it was a problem with the streaming at first but removing the headphone connection solves it. Oh and there's a huge lag in the sound synchronisation that wasn't there before either.

I've tried all the resets and different settings on the headphones but nothing solves the problem.

Any further ideas?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello there @DMcClune, welcome!

Thank you for sharing this with me!

I would like to ask you to send me your build number in a private message so I can check which software update caused this issue!

Looking forward to your message!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have further issues!

Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
Hey @BarneyT I have no idea how to send a private message and I can't find any help topics on it. Anyway, my build number may be irrelevant as I've found something that seems to be causing the problem.

Just in case you need it, my build number is: 9.1.0.320(C432E10R1P16) GPU Turbo

OK, so what have I discovered? LE. Well, actually LE_

If I unpair the WH-1000XM2 headphones and then pair them again, they connect and are named WH-1000XM2. No surprise there. The surprising thing is that they now work. The quality is good. There is no stutter or skipping and the sound synchronisation is almost perfect.

When I connect them the next time, there is stuttering and skipping and lousy audio sync. They are unlistenable to - it's so frustrating. However, when I went to unpair them again, I noticed that the Bluetooth device name had changed to ... yes, you've probably guessed ... LE_WH-1000XM2. They seem to have switched to a Low Energy profile and renamed themselves (or maybe the phone has forced it or something).

Now, even more intriguing, I actually heard the damned things switch in the middle of listening to a podcast. Having unpaired them and re-paired them (not repaired, you understand) I settled down to listen to a 1hr podcast. The quality was good. There was no stuttering or skipping. Obviously, being an audio podcast, I couldn't tell anything about the audio sync but all was well otherwise. At least it was for about 45-50 minutes when the sound stopped for a little over a second, maybe 2. When the sound came back on again it was different. It sounded slightly muffled. The volume wasn't quite as loud. Treble wasn't quite so crisp and then ... glitch!. Then another. And another. It was back to skipping an stuttering. A brief peruse at the connected device showed that it had indeed changed itself to its evil LE_WH-1000XM2 device twin.

So, there is something going on with an LE profile somewhere.

Can it be forced to never consider connecting using LE. Just give me full warp power, Mr Scott, unless the dilithium crystals cannae take it!
Hi
I have been having problems with my Bluetooth randomly disconnecting from my car. When this happens it takes numerous attempts to reconnect.
I have now recently purchased a Fitbit versa 2. The phone cannot hold Bluetooth connectivity for more that about 20mins then message appears saying notifications not running, restart your phone to fix problem.
Restart will temporarily fix but for a VERY short time.
I have paired and unpaired numerous times with no joy.
Sorry I ever bought Huawei now. Never again.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Linda.mulholland I moved your post to this thread as it appears you're having a similar issue. Please first try the troubleshoot suggestion of JackJ:

Kind regards,
Jack