Answered

Brand New Mate 20 Pro stuck on Checking For Updates Screen

• 13 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone. I have a brand new Mate 20 Pro on the UK network o2. I've turned the phone on and connected to WiFi however when it gets to the Checking For Updates screen it seems to get stuck for an extended period of time. I've left this on for over half an hour but with no success.
I've have so far tried resetting the phone, resetting the WiFi and turning the WiFi off altogether but no luck there either. The only thing I did manage to do was the initial transfer apps /photos / etc from my old Sony Xperia to the phone which so far I've not been able to access or see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Jmoon 13 February 2019, 21:31

If you go into settings and then system, and click 'about phone', you'll see your actual firmware version under Build number (the first bit). Mine is 9.0.0.153 for example.

Or is it that you are literally stuck on the update screen? If so, you can power off, and then do a factory reset by holding power and volume up buttons until phone reboots. You'll then get an option to wipe/ factory reset.

I'm now in the habit of setting up new phones 'fresh'. Maybe try that and see if the problem persists without the transfer of old back-up.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hey @NateEinarsson

In my own experience, sometimes transferring things over from another phone can cause some issues. Did you use Phone Clone or Google? Also, what version of EMUI are you on already?
Hey @NateEinarsson

In my own experience, sometimes transferring things over from another phone can cause some issues. Did you use Phone Clone or Google? Also, what version of EMUI are you on already?

I used Phone Clone to transfer everything over. I believe I'm on EMUI 9. If there's a way to factory reset and wipe the phone and manually move everything over that may be the solution.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
If you go into settings and then system, and click 'about phone', you'll see your actual firmware version under Build number (the first bit). Mine is 9.0.0.153 for example.

Or is it that you are literally stuck on the update screen? If so, you can power off, and then do a factory reset by holding power and volume up buttons until phone reboots. You'll then get an option to wipe/ factory reset.

I'm now in the habit of setting up new phones 'fresh'. Maybe try that and see if the problem persists without the transfer of old back-up.
It's literally stuck on the update screen sadly. I can't get any further. My network advised it can take up to 24 hours for the first update to complete but this seemed a bit strange. Possibly wiping the phone and starting again would be my best option.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
It's literally stuck on the update screen sadly. I can't get any further. My network advised it can take up to 24 hours for the first update to complete but this seemed a bit strange. Possibly wiping the phone and starting again would be my best option.

Yeah, try the above guidance for factory reset (I edited my previous post). Let us know how it goes.
Jmoon - what a star. Far more helpful than my network provider. The phone went into boot mode and advised that it could not boot from a certain source. From there it has been fine. I'm not fully into the phone. Thanks again for your help.