Answered

Can't update while roaming

• 8 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I'm on holiday at the moment with no access to WiFi but for some reason even though I've got my phone set to allow use of data while roaming I can't update the software. It comes up with a prompt do you want to install while roaming, I click ok and it says please update over WiFi. Any thoughts on a setting I may have missed?

icon

Best answer by Jase 9 December 2018, 16:11

Updated over WiFi today using pub WiFi, took over an hour. Such a hardship having to drink alcohol while waiting on your phone updating 😂
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Could be your provider blocking it due to the increased amount of data used during a software update.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Could be your provider blocking it due to the increased amount of data used during a software update.
I've been using the phone for the past few days with no problems watching videos or uploading pictures which I'd assume uses more data and I've got 15gb allowance which is more than enough. Might try using a VPN though just to see if it works.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
It didn't 🙄
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
This is quite common, lots of network providers restrict updates while roaming and the reason is because they can be done automatically and may change you if your plan doesn't allow for free roaming. For example, yes you may have 15gb of data and you can watch videos online but you are choosing to do that. A lot of phones update automatically, if you were on a plan which charged for roaming and your phone connected to a cellular service and downloaded a large update while you were unaware then you may incur a charge for this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
This is quite common, lots of network providers restrict updates while roaming and the reason is because they can be done automatically and may change you if your plan doesn't allow for free roaming. For example, yes you may have 15gb of data and you can watch videos online but you are choosing to do that. A lot of phones update automatically, if you were on a plan which charged for roaming and your phone connected to a cellular service and downloaded a large update while you were unaware then you may incur a charge for this.
Yeah I get it but I'm with three on an unlimited plan that allows up to 15gb roaming, just seems silly to block me but I guess you could be correct. I might be able to get free WiFi in town over the next few days or I'll just wait until I get home, it's not exactly urgent just annoying lol.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Updated over WiFi today using pub WiFi, took over an hour. Such a hardship having to drink alcohol while waiting on your phone updating 😂