Question

Cant connect to pc, tried usb debugging and all that already

• 12 August 2019
  • 4 replies

• Opening Fortune Cookie
  • 2 replies
Overall its an ok phone, however like every previous device i had there are issues with it. Returning auto brightness, which i have to switch off almost everyday, silly proportions on front facing camera which makes my chin look like a banana, beauty mode etc.. I was able to ignore most of these until today when ive spent maybe 3 hours trying to connect my phone to one of the 3 computers i own (2 asus laptops, 1 mac). Followed tips in every forum (tried developer mode, usb debugging, turned on file sharing on my laptop network settings...) but part from slowly charging my phone i was unable to actually access the files within my phone and to transfer them to my computer. Because i have around 12 gb photos and videos spread through multiple albums uploading it on one of the cloud apps to download on computer later seems like it would be even more a pain in the ass. Any people who have managed to solve this issue? All i want is to store my photos on my computer 😢

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
When you plug the phone to your PC, you should get a box on the phone giving you various options, such as charge only, transfer files etc. If this box doesn't pop up, you should have it on the notification tray.

If this box doesn't appear in any case, even after trying on multiple machines, then either:
  • Install HiSuite on the machine before connecting the phone.
  • Try with a different cable (first try with the supplied cable)

If after installing HiSuite on your PC and checking with a different cable it still doesn't work, you might want to try a factory reset, and, if still nothing, send the device to Huawei for a repair, as there might be an issue with the connector.

Out of curiosity, on which OS does your machine run? Win7? Win10?
Ive tried all of those already apart from trying a different cable. One laptop is win 10, the other is win 7. Doing a factory reset would wipe the information i want to store on my computer, would it not?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Ive tried all of those already apart from trying a different cable. One laptop is win 10, the other is win 7. Doing a factory reset would wipe the information i want to store on my computer, would it not?

In this case it might just be the cable that is faulty then.

Yes, a factory reset would wipe all the data. There are various options to backup the information without using HiSuite on PC, such as the Huawei Cloud (sync all your pictures, 5GB for free, then it's 0.99€/month for 50GB more gigs) or other solutions such as Google Drive. Preferably, wiping your data and doing a factory reset should be your last option, especially in your case since backing up all isn't as easy as it should be.

For the OS, I was just making sure it's not something like Windows98 or WinXP (I think it should work fine on WinXP, but you never know).
Ill try a different cable and let you know. Thank you for your time. Hopefully its just the cable.