Answered

Gmail app not showing numeric icon on unread emails

• 30 November 2018
  • 27 replies

Hello guys,

I am using Mate 20 pro, I could no get my Gmail app to show numeric icon on the unread emails.

In the gmail app, I have already allowed all kind notifications.

Under the phone settings->notification, I could not find Gmail app. Not sure why, is this a bug?

I am using emui 9

Nova launcher able to display unread emails on the gmail app but I have issues with the gestures, hence I am not using Nova launcher for now. Tried using fluid gestures or navigation gestures app to override the gestures on Nova launcher but I failed.
icon

Best answer by Max 25 January 2019, 19:26

Hi all!

Thank you very much for the suggestions and feedback left in regards to the notification badges displaying on certain apps.
We will take those into consideration and forward them further to our development department!

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!😀
Max
View original

27 replies

Hi,
I found this topic looking for answers. I've had iphones for the last 10 years and just switched to a huawei mate 20 lite. I cannot find a way to have a badge with the number or unread email on Gmail. If I understood well, it is not possible at all ? No way ? If that's the case, I think I will sell my Huawei and buy an iphone, which would really piss me off....but for me it's just a basic that I need for mu day to day organisation.
thanks !
Let's hope that EMUI 10 solve this issue.

Yes.. idk how such a basic function like cannot work lol
Userlevel 1
Let's hope that EMUI 10 solve this issue.
Same here !! I just buy a P30 Pro few days ago and I don't have the badge icon on Snapchat & Gmail. What a shame ! My old samsung galaxy can do this since 7 years !

I'll go back on Samsung.
I was laughed at too by Huawei customer service, they totally blew me off and "No F***'s where give" that I and many of you are having this issue.

Seems like such a simple fix, my next phone will be a Samsung if this not fixed.
Userlevel 1
"Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!" Max said. Max is no one. Customers are clows.
Hi all!

Thank you very much for the suggestions and feedback left in regards to the notification badges displaying on certain apps.
We will take those into consideration and forward them further to our development department!

Max

Max there still is no fix for the Gmail icon issue.
thanks for the reply!

This really caught me off guard, didn't know such a basic notification could be missing besides the no notification on the lock screen.Hello guys,

I am using Mate 20 pro, I could no get my Gmail app to show numeric icon on the unread emails.

In the gmail app, I have already allowed all kind notifications.

Under the phone settings->notification, I could not find Gmail app. Not sure why, is this a bug?

I am using emui 9

Nova launcher able to display unread emails on the gmail app but I have issues with the gestures, hence I am not using Nova launcher for now. Tried using fluid gestures or navigation gestures app to override the gestures on Nova launcher but I failed.

I called Huawei customer service and they blew me off and even laughed. Very frustrating the icons do not work
Userlevel 1
when I receive messages at any App there is number or dot , but snapchat not . I enabled from badge icon but still not working .
please advise .

Honda can you confirm that you get notifications with numbers on Gmail icon? If you do, please inform your phone model and firmware. Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @honda I've moved your post here as this thread discusses the issue of notifications / badge numbers.
when I receive messages at any App there is number or dot , but snapchat not . I enabled from badge icon but still not working .
please advise .
I moved from iPhone to a huawei after 11 years. This failure is the first Major drawback I've encountered. I hope their isn't more because I will easily switch back.
Userlevel 1
Mate 20 pro let's you choose, but the limited apps you have when you choose to have badge with number of unread notifications is not worthy. Not even Gmail is part of that list.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I could've sworn my Mate 9 allowed me to choose between dots and notification numbers for each app so it seems odd the Mate 20 Pro doesn't. Still, I don't mind too much.
Userlevel 1

Hi all!

Max
HI all,

I just got my good new P30 Pro top of line phone and I am almost happy with it. But missing standard function is not a thing at all if you continue to Improve the software. Maybe this subject need to be bring to attention as this disscustions is months ago and still not resolved.

So brand new software with new brand and costly phone with no improvements on a such basic feature. It´s unbelievable.
Hi all!

Max

HI all,

I just got my good new P30 Pro top of line phone and I am almost happy with it. But missing standard function is not a thing at all if you continue to Improve the software. Maybe this subject need to be bring to attention as this disscustions is months ago and still not resolved.
This is really bad. I recently purchased a Huawei Mate SE and did not realize there was no numeric badge for the Gmail app. My Samsung Galaxy S5 that is over 5 years old had the feature. Talk about behind the times. Wake up Huawei!
What could possible explain a so expensive device that doesn't have the simple ability to show badges with numbers of unread messages/notifications to all apps? Not even for the most used e-mail app on planet earth, Gmail.
That is a real shame for Huawei, so I'd like to ask the admins of this group how long we will need to wait until get this via software update, because I refuse myself to believe that this is not even on dev roadmap.
Great hardware with such abyssal software failure is what will keep you way of mobile phone market domination.

Thanks!

Zenaldo Borges

+ 1
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @zenaldo,

Thank you very much for providing us with your honest insight!

We are welcoming feedback from our users as we are constantly seeking to improve our devices and provide the best experience for you.

Any sort of positive or negative feedback is appreciated as we forward this further to the development team to be taken into consideration with further updates, new devices and overall to create the most friendly based experience for our current users and potential new customers.

Hopefully the feature you have proposed will be added in the near future to our devices with an upcoming update!

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 1

What could possible explain a so expensive device that doesn't have the simple ability to show badges with numbers of unread messages/notifications to all apps? Not even for the most used e-mail app on planet earth, Gmail.
That is a real shame for Huawei, so I'd like to ask the admins of this group how long we will need to wait until get this via software update, because I refuse myself to believe that this is not even on dev roadmap.
Great hardware with such abyssal software failure is what will keep you way of mobile phone market domination.

Thanks!

Zenaldo Borges
I generally agree, but it's clear that Huawei would prefer people to use its inferior app that includes unread notification badges. I also believe Google left that ability up to the manufacturer to include - especially with Android 7.0 onward.

The problem is that this is not limited only to Gmail, you have only a limited list of apps that support the notification badge with numbers ans apparently this is somehting "normal" to Huawei, but any 100 dollrs dumbphone can do.
Userlevel 1
Hi all!

Max

Nice vague and automatic response that means nothing for your customer that paid more than 1k USD in a phone. Lesson learned!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all!

Max
Userlevel 4

Thanks!

Zenaldo Borges

I generally agree, but it's clear that Huawei would prefer people to use its inferior app that includes unread notification badges. I also believe Google left that ability up to the manufacturer to include - especially with Android 7.0 onward.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey @zenaldo,

Sorry, I moved your question to the wrong topic. I now moved it to this thread about numeric icons i the Gmail app. 🙂
Userlevel 1

Thanks!

Zenaldo Borges