Question

HDR colour banding on YouTube, mate 20pro

• 14 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
This is kinda a question and also perhaps a request for a fix please.

I noticed while watching hdr content on YouTube that on some scenes (specifically the sky) there is colour banding (lines of bands where the colour changes from one shade to the next) where it should be a more gradual change and therefore not noticeable as bands. I tried to take a screen capture and adjusted the image to try and best highlight the issue and I've linked to the video as well so others can see if it's affecting them.

Please not this is nothing to do with YouTube compression as I tested the exact same video on both an Lg oled TV and a Samsung s9+ oled phone and both do not have this banding.
This is also very likely just a processing issues as opposed to a screen problem, so if it can be addressed that would be great. Assuming it's not just my phone that is.

Regards Jase.

Ps I'd like to point out that it's really not that bad at all, just something that could perhaps be improved so I thought I'd at least mention it. https://youtu.be/tO01J-M3g0U

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi Jase, will it also appear in any other video apps?
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I've not tested others as I think only youtube works with HDR at the moment
I have this exact issue. It isn't related to Youtube as it happens on all videos and not just on hdr on mine. This company is a joke. 4th replacement phone now and another awful display. I literally will never in my life go near a Huawei product again. I'm actually so fed up.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I have this exact issue. It isn't related to Youtube as it happens on all videos and not just on hdr on mine. This company is a joke. 4th replacement phone now and another awful display. I literally will never in my life go near a Huawei product again. I'm actually so fed up.
Colour banding is more of a processing issue rather than a hardware problem, so it can definitely be addressed with a firmware update hopefully.
Regards Jase
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,
Thank you for the technical feedback .
If you could provide with some more details and also your build number and serial number via pm, we could investigate and review further with our technical department.

Best wishes,
Max.