Answered

[Help] Mate 20 does not pass Google Pay security checking when trying to add a public transport ticket.

• 1 April 2019
  • 5 replies

I am living in Melbourne Australia, but there is no Huawei community for Australian user so I do not know where to post this problem.

I purchased Mate 20 from official retailer (Harvey Norman) and NEVER rooted or unlocked the bootloader. Google Pay works just fine when buying things (i.e., using credit card added to Google Pay).

Recently, the public transport system allows people to use their phone as a ticket (by adding the ticket in Google Pay app). However, my device did not pass the security verification. The app prompted that the device was rooted or the bootloader was unlocked (see photo attached).

Anyone living in Melbourne has the same issue? Any suggestion?

icon

Best answer by jskasia 5 April 2019, 00:13

Hi there,

I can confirm this also happened to other people in Melbourne.

I reported via Huawei chat. They escalated the case, I got a phonecall and talked with staff.

This morning, I got a firmware update prompted on my phone (last update I received was in March). So I tried it again. And the problem was fixed. I am so happy now.

Thanks guys for your support.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I wonder if you have what may typically be thought of a rooting app on your phone like magisk maybe?

The reason I asked is that when changing phones, my Barclays banking app complained my new device was rooted, but it wasn't.

However Google restored my old copy of magisk and that's one of the checks that the banking app did to check for a rooted phone.

Just an idea....

Steve
I wonder if you have what may typically be thought of a rooting app on your phone like magisk maybe?

The reason I asked is that when changing phones, my Barclays banking app complained my new device was rooted, but it wasn't.

However Google restored my old copy of magisk and that's one of the checks that the banking app did to check for a rooted phone.

Just an idea....

Steve

I never try magisk, so I have no idea how to check. By using root checker apps, I found nothing.

Today, I contacted Huawei support team. They escalated the case and promised someone will contact me in 24 hours. I will update if there anyone come back to me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
OK it doesn't sound like anything I was thinking. Let us know how you get on :-)

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 4
Badge
Do you have any security on your device like an unlock code or fingerprint unlock. If you aren't using them then sometimes it doesn't let you set up payment cards unless these security features are active. ?
Hi there,

I can confirm this also happened to other people in Melbourne.

I reported via Huawei chat. They escalated the case, I got a phonecall and talked with staff.

This morning, I got a firmware update prompted on my phone (last update I received was in March). So I tried it again. And the problem was fixed. I am so happy now.

Thanks guys for your support.