Answered

Hide app suggestions

• 16 February 2019
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 4
Is there a way to hide the app suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Tboy2000 8 August 2019, 02:33

Yes you can disable the suggestions which also disables the search field but you need to use the ADB command:

STEPS:

Enable Developer Option and ADB debuging on your phone.

Connect the phone to computer.

Test connection between phone and PC.
$adb devices

Remote shell into the device.
$adb shell

To see installed apps type
$pm list packages

Disable HiSearch
$pm disable-user --user 0 com.huawei.search

$exit

Disconnect the phone from PC and reboot phone.

To enable Hi Search again use:
$pm enable --user 0 com.huawei.search

Taken from XDA but in the link below it shows you how to uninstall it. Better to disable it above so you can always put it back if you want.

How to disable Hi Search (XDA)
View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @RajassHuawei,

Thank you for bringing this up!

At the moment, there is no way to hide it, as the suggestions are meant to help you navigate easier through your apps and features.

Nevertheless, I will inquire this with our developers so this will be considered on a future update.

If you have any other suggestions or questions, do not hesitate to let me know!

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
@Max I'm having to use the nova launcher because of not being able to hide the app suggestions and search bar. Another thing Huawei need to do is bring back the option to block unwanted/private/unknown calls and messages. When I got the phone in November this was available through block rules under my phone manager app, but then after the Dec 5th security update Huawei took away this option, and now I have to manually enter the numbers I want to block.
I have no idea why this was taken away from us. So frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi RajassHuawei,

Please keep this thread on topic. There is another topic on the option to block unwanted calls and messages.
A feature that can't be turned off is a bug!

This is a classic example of this.

I would also advise a different launcher. As EMUI is by far the worst I have ever seen. In their quest to steal as much as possible from Apple, and to lock in users, they include all sorts of "features" (read BUGS!). Other examples are: no app drawer, universal search,...
I got my Huawei phones for free from my employer, and while the hardware is very good the software is so bad, bloated and iPhone inspired that I'm thinking of buying a decent Android phone for myself
Is there any progress on fixing this issue? It has been 7 months since this bug has been introduced.
Userlevel 1
Anyone figure out how to remove this yet. It's horrid. Just had an os update and now have the suggested bar in my app draw and on hisearch screen.

Can be turned off on pretty much every other android phone but not Huawei anymore.

Its a useless feature, people have the most used apps on their home screens, don't need an extra bar with the same ones taking up space.

Please give us back a way to remove it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello all!

We are sorry for this unpleasant issue!

We appreciate the customer's input and are very thankful that you took the time to write these suggestions regarding the app suggestions.

Your requests have been passed on to the development team and we can assure you that they will be taken into account for future updates & development.

Thank you for your feedback!

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any kind of problems in the future. You can also send me a private message for further assistance. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
I have never seen a feature this useless, it suggests app's, I already have installed and use regularly, some of them on daily basis. Why the h... would it suggest app's, I already know and use??? If it at least would suggest app's I don't know, it could be useful (for some), but I would still look for a way to turn it off. I'm fully capable of searching for things, I need.
I guess my next phone won't be a Huawei... And I'm switching in half a year. And, as it is right now, I won't recommend Huawei to others.
Take for instance support for Google Daydream, I have the (then) top model (Mate 20 Pro), and nothing, can't even get a decent answer if it's on the way!
EMUI seems to be all glitter and no substance... Very disappointing! Best hardware is nothing worth without decent software.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Bob Lublawe - this apps suggestion seems a common feature across phones. My old iphone has a similar feature (I hardly used it) but it highlighted apps which might be relevant, usually the ones I used the most.
Haven't seen it before the last update to IMUI 9.1. It's new, annoying and as BarneyT admits, an unpleasant issue. Takes up a fourth of the space in the app-drawer.
Might be your old iPhone has the feature, but when you say, you hardly use it, I understand it as in you're turning it off. Not possible here, just sits there, suggesting apps I use all the time. I don't need suggestions for something I already know I have.
Please, Huawei, make it possible to turn the suggestions off! That's all we're asking, can't be so difficult to understand. And just because an iPhone has the feature, doesn't mean my Android has to have it too (otherwise I could just buy an iPhone next time) - there's a reason why I buy Android. And it's not because I want a cheap iPhone - clone...
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Yes you can disable the suggestions which also disables the search field but you need to use the ADB command:

STEPS:

Enable Developer Option and ADB debuging on your phone.

Connect the phone to computer.

Test connection between phone and PC.
$adb devices

Remote shell into the device.
$adb shell

To see installed apps type
$pm list packages

Disable HiSearch
$pm disable-user --user 0 com.huawei.search

$exit

Disconnect the phone from PC and reboot phone.

To enable Hi Search again use:
$pm enable --user 0 com.huawei.search

Taken from XDA but in the link below it shows you how to uninstall it. Better to disable it above so you can always put it back if you want.

How to disable Hi Search (XDA)
Userlevel 1
Unfortunately the suggested fix just disables hisearch and does not remove the annoying Suggested Apps bar from the app draw. So doesnt really fix the whole problem.

Rarely using Hisearch this does nothing for me. Its purely the suggested apps in the app draw that are the problem. Takes up loads of space for no real purpose. Used to be disabled in the hisearch options as they were linked before. But not anymore.
Userlevel 1
This is the issue I get. That huge bar in the app draw. Disabling Hisearch does not remove this and it often shows apps I never use.

Just takes up space and drives my ocd to the point where opening the app draw is too much trouble to be worth it.

Anyone got a way to remove it. The old setting was removed in the update I got a few days ago.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Unfortunately the suggested fix just disables hisearch and does not remove the annoying Suggested Apps bar from the app draw. So doesnt really fix the whole problem.

Rarely using Hisearch this does nothing for me. Its purely the suggested apps in the app draw that are the problem. Takes up loads of space for no real purpose. Used to be disabled in the hisearch options as they were linked before. But not anymore.

Strange. When I disabled HiSearch via ADB on my Mate 10, it got rid of the search bar and suggestions. I think I know the difference. It disables it showing when you swipe downwards on the home screen which is what I wanted. I never used the app drawer so didn't see if it was still there. Perhaps there is another setting one can disable by searching through the package names in adb.
Hi @RajassHuawei,

Thank you for bringing this up!

At the moment, there is no way to hide it, as the suggestions are meant to help you navigate easier through your apps and features.

Nevertheless, I will inquire this with our developers so this will be considered on a future update.

If you have any other suggestions or questions, do not hesitate to let me know!

Best wishes,
Max

Sooner the better please this is the only thing I hate in my new phone
Yes, this whole incident has convinced me to never buy another Huawei product. It really grinds my gears when these software updates are forced on us with no option to keep our current settings.
Phone just updated today and am having the same problem!

Not been having the best day anyway, this was really the last thing I needed. Finding this thread and learning it's a 'feature' that can NOT be disabled? Kind of devestated tbh. I was so happy with this phone and now the app drawer is broken and useless. My fingers go to certain apps as a reflex and now I'm constantly opening the wrong apps, plus it's aesthetically hideous. And of course, pointless, as I'm well aware of what apps I own.

Please please please please please sort out this ridiculous issue!!!
Also, even if there was an ADB fix...I don't know how to do all that. My grandma certainly wouldn't be able to. I could probably follow step by step instructions, but why should I have to? Why should anyone have to? I didn't sign up for a phone I have to change the code of using a computer. I just want to be able to change the very basic settings for the home screen/app drawer. It should really NOT be a big deal. It was a standard feature and there was no reason to get rid of it. If I wanted something with rubbish features I couldn't get rid of or change I could buy an apple product...I thought Huawei was better than this!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Doodles thanks for your feedback. As @BarneyT mentioned, the feedback is shared with the development team, so a future update might allow more flexibility to change this.

Same for me on my P30 Lite! It's so annoying, and such an unnecessary feature to remove! I don't mind the suggested apps in the Hisearch, when swiping down on the homescreen, but having it in the app drawer is a waste of space! I already know what my most used apps are, because I have it on my homescreen, thanks! 🙄
I bought a P30 today and this one feature made me return it. You should never add a feature that you aren't able to disable. Who would ever spend time adding such an annoying useless feature.