Huawei Mate 20 Pro Audio Review

• 28 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
I’ve just finished my Huawei Mate 20 Audio review. We all know how great the cameras are but what about the audio.

So I’ve taken a closer look at the sound quality. The included USB C Earphones. The dongle. The audio output into external DACs, tested a range of headphones, external and internal mics plus some headphone recommendations and more.

Huawei Mate 20 Pro Audio Review - Bluetooth, Loudspeaker, Dongle & Best Headphones

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for sharing Gavin!

I embedded your video. 🙂
Hello @Amy
unfortunately no external microphone works with my Huawei Mate 20 Pro. I have read a couple of complaints of other users about this issue with their Mate 20 Pro.

A flagship phone should definitely have this capability.

I would like to use the very good video quality of the phone to livestream on Facebook. But without a decent microphone it is not possible to get a decent audio quality.

Please advice on how to overcome this problem.

best wishes

Max
Userlevel 4
Hello @Amy
unfortunately no external microphone works with my Huawei Mate 20 Pro. I have read a couple of complaints of other users about this issue with their Mate 20 Pro.

A flagship phone should definitely have this capability.

I would like to use the very good video quality of the phone to livestream on Facebook. But without a decent microphone it is not possible to get a decent audio quality.

Please advice on how to overcome this problem.

best wishes

Max

Hi Max,

External mics do work well. The trick is you need an adapter that plugs into the usb c headphone adapter to go from trrs to trs. This is an example of what you need that will work https://amzn.to/2TsCFaE

So to be clear, you plug the included headphone adapter into the mate 20 pro. Then you plug the above adapter into the other adapter, and then you plug the external mic in.

This may sound complex, its not .

Hope this helps.
Hi @gavinfabl
Thanks a lot for explaining. I have found out now, that the real culprit is the native camera app.
I had tried to get it running with the Huawei camera app, assuming that Facebook and other apps would use this in the background for their livestreams.
When I tested Facebook and Instagram livestreams, I found out that everything was working fine when everything was straightened out the way you described it.

It is still quite disappointing that the native camera app is not supporting external mics since third party apps, like Open Camera are not able to use the wide angle or tele lens capability :-(

Thanks again for your help :-)

best wishes

Max