Answered

Huawei Mate 20 Pro- NM Card slot cannot be used as 2nd SIM

• 3 November 2018
  • 22 replies

Hi All,
Huawei Mate 20 Pro- NM Card slot cannot be use as 2nd SIM- Contract phone with O2

Kindly advice how to use NM Card slot as 2nd sim. I have got 2 sims with O2. But identify only 1 sim after inserting both sims to sim tray. I have gone through Huwawei guidance.

Huwawei Mate pro 20 quick guide- 2nd page clearly shown that NM card slot can be used as NM CARD SLOT or NANO SIM 2.
https://about:blank

Even I checked the Demo phones setting in O2 shops. Clearly SIM 2 settings are there.
But SIM 2 settings not available in the given contract phone.
Please advice any kind of a activation or settings on this.

Thank so much in advance
icon

Best answer by chillphone 3 November 2018, 23:07

The UK version is single sim its NOT dual sim.

LYA-L29 is the dual sim version in Europe.

The UK version will therefor take a nano sim and a NM card.

Some retailers incorrectly listed dual sim but them later changed to reflect correct details.
View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Some retailers incorrectly listed dual sim but them later changed to reflect correct details.

Thank you so much for the information and appreciate.
So lesson learnt is demo phones inside the showrooms are not the exact phone we are getting. settings could be changed OR could be other version. As it is clearly show sim 2 settings in O2 demo phones.

Thank you so much for your time..., Best
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I think UK version is BLA.

I know elsewhere in forum somebody had similar issue with argos, who then amended their website info.
I went to several o2 locations. In 2 stores they told that it is a single sim phone. But 3 other stores they confirmed that it is dual sim which is exactly as display phone. After O2 help chat also confirmed the same as it is a Dual sim phone. Based on this I assumed it is a dual sim. Finally I got single sim phone.

But one friend told that there is a possibility for, Huawei Phones to change the settings using "Rebrand-Convert to Dual Sim-Change Region" service. which can convert SINGLE SIM PHONE TO DUAL SIM PHONE. This is to be done only by professional which override the region software to International software.

I do not know how it works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@GavinBray anything like you mention would invalidate your device warranty and is illegal as your spoofing an IMEI which I wouldn't recommend.

If you want the dual sim, your retailer should refund you (if they told you it was a dual sim) and then you could try and correctly source a dual sim model.
@GavinBray anything like you mention would invalidate your device warranty and is illegal as your spoofing an IMEI which I wouldn't recommend.

If you want the dual sim, your retailer should refund you (if they told you it was a dual sim) and then you could try and correctly source a dual sim model.

I never knew that it would invalidate device warranty and is illegal.
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE AND I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE.....,
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Got mine from 3 and its dual sim even though the tray only shows 1 sim and the other shows for the nano card.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
9h and the one from 3 is the European LYA-L29. Was a pre order phone so this could have changed since then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

About the Mate 20 Pro dual sim variant: this variant is available from the Three Network. 🙂
This phone is so much better than others but I am very very sad about the fact the LYA-L09 exsists. And so confused. Why is the Mate 20 Pro second sim slot disabled at all in the UK Huawei? Why is there a LYA-L09? And only in UK? Not very Matey or Pro....Can I assume all UK networks (except Three) requested this so customers are not using competitors sims? Why do Huawei allow this restriction as it's a huge feature? Oneplus6T is dual sim on EVERY network in UK I think including o2.

If I want UK dual sim Mate 20 Pro and want a contract there is no choice of network as I'm reading only Three have LYA-L29. Only viable tariff Three offer is £51p/m, £8.50 more than Vodafone upgrades (£202 more over 2 years) Also the Huawei/network marketing as mentioned previously repeated dual sim everywhere, as well as every UK YouTuber that Huawei gave phones to review!

And don't get me started as to why Green colour is only with Carphone Warehouse (went into 5 stores- none to see only dummy phones) and no Midnight Blue in UK at all.... Come on Huawei!
Hi all,

About the Mate 20 Pro dual sim variant: this variant is available from the Three Network. :)

Amy can you ask why do the Uk get the distinct privilege of having limited colours and only being able to use one sim card at the same price as rest of Europe? Thanks
Userlevel 1

Hi all,

About the Mate 20 Pro dual sim variant: this variant is available from the Three Network. :)
Amy can you ask why do the Uk get the distinct privilege of having limited colours and only being able to use one sim card at the same price as rest of Europe? Thanks

Just as easy to order from France and it saves a bit of money as well. However I agree that it would be easier if all phones were dual sim
That is precisely why my Mate 20 Pro went back to O2 and I now have a OnePlus 6T. I too was told by O2 that it was dual s and was single SIM when I received it. Even Apple are offering dual SIM functionality on their phones. Come p. Huawei, her with the programme... You've lost a customer here (BTW, I had a Mate 20 Pro, my wife has a P20 Pro and my kids have Huaweis.... might need to rethink that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Three are selling the dual sim variant.

That is precisely why my Mate 20 Pro went back to O2 and I now have a OnePlus 6T. I too was told by O2 that it was dual s and was single SIM when I received it. Even Apple are offering dual SIM functionality on their phones. Come p. Huawei, her with the programme... You've lost a customer here (BTW, I had a Mate 20 Pro, my wife has a P20 Pro and my kids have Huaweis.... might need to rethink that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi all,

It depends on the retailer.

Three sell the dual sim variant.
Hi guys. I just thought I'd clear up some confusion regarding the Mate 20 Pro. Yes, it comes in two versions. One that can take only one SIM + a NM (Nano Memory) card - this is known as version L09.

The other version is a dual SIM, known as version L29, which is a hybrid. ie. It can take either two SIM's, or one SIM and one NM memory card.

Here's the thing, the only place you can currently get the dual SIM version is from Three (UK mobile network). You have to get it on a contract (or upgrade, if you're already with them). It's not available as a PAYG. It's not available anywhere else.

The way to get around it is get the phone on the cheapest contract, currently GBP £42 per month (24 months). You can cancel the contract within the statutory 14 period (only if you buy online), but in order to cancel the contract, you HAVE to return the phone. So this won't work! What I did, was cancel the contract after the 14 days. I had to pay 24 x £42 (just over £1000) and they gave me a 5% discount. I wasn't bothered about the discount...

Anyway, if you're in the UK, and you're desperate for the dual SIM, you end up paying around £100 more, but this is the only way to get it!
Another victim of EE fraudulent selling practices

I was told in the Kensington store that the P20 mate Pro I signed up for was dual-SIM.

I returned to Hong Kong, where I spend much of the year to discover the trick. When I contacted EE via phone they told me that they would not be held responsible for their sales staff's claims and asked me to return the phone to get my money back.

Has this happened to anyone else here?
Hi guys. I’ve just won a mate20pro in a competition at work, it’s sealed and wrapped and it comes direct from huawei - I’m selling it and someone has asked me if it’s dual sim.

Anyone that hat can help would be great?
Why sell it lol use it there great phones
I have the inverse problem that my Huawei P30 Pro VOG-L29 just ignores my NM card.
The phone was perhaps set up as a dual SIM, but does that mean that it won't accept NM cards?
In general there seems to be a dire lack of documentation on how to use NM cards, how to start and test them as well as on transferring data. The latter is to some degree documented, but the underlying protocols are never mentioned. Instead the docs just tell me to click microsoft interfaces which I don't use. Even NFC, HiSuite and other Huawei software is really useless to me. Instead what helped me as a file manager app that assigned my phone an IP address and allowed me to use FTP.
Also, there is no documentation that would tell me on which directory of the Huawei file system the NM card would be mounted. It was even difficult to find out that the 128 GB of memory that my phone has do not come from the NM card.
If the system is set up in a way to ignore NM cards, it could at least say so and warn me.