Answered

Huawei Mate 20 - Regionlock for USA

• 5 July 2019
  • 1 reply

• Fresh Fortune Cookie
  • 0 replies
Hello everybody,I have a Huawei Mate 20 with Dual Sim and I want to use it on my trip to USA with an American Sim Card. After a little research I found out that some Huawei models have a regionlock which makes it impossible to use it in other countries. I know that my handy has no simlock but does it also mean it works with American Sim cards? How can I find out if my phone is Regionlocked? I bought my phone in Germany.
Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by DRSC Media 5 July 2019, 12:21

I'm not aware about a regionlock. I do know some devices are carrier-locked, meaning locked to a specific network, but in theory, your device should work just fine in the US with a local SIM.

Keep in mind that in the US, you have two network technologies, being GSM and CDMA. Your device is GSM, meaning you'll need a SIM from a GSM US carrier.

Maybe somebody else could confirm this regionlock thing (@Danjl ?), although the quickest would be calling Huawei's hotline in the UK (if you live there) or Huawei's hotline in Germany (since you mention buying the phone there).
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I'm not aware about a regionlock. I do know some devices are carrier-locked, meaning locked to a specific network, but in theory, your device should work just fine in the US with a local SIM.

Keep in mind that in the US, you have two network technologies, being GSM and CDMA. Your device is GSM, meaning you'll need a SIM from a GSM US carrier.

Maybe somebody else could confirm this regionlock thing (@Danjl ?), although the quickest would be calling Huawei's hotline in the UK (if you live there) or Huawei's hotline in Germany (since you mention buying the phone there).