Huawei Nano Memory Card transfer questions

• 23 February 2019
  • 17 replies

I have purchased a Huawei Mate 20pro.
I also purchased a Nano Memory Card 128gb but the phone will not transfer data from the phone storage to the nm card.
Thank you for any information.
John

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Binstead5, Welcome on the community! 🙂

Thank you for asking your question. There is a long thread about moving apps to a SD Card. @Max shared in that thread that the EMUI user interface on our devices doesn't offer the possibility to transfer apps from the internal storage to an external card.

Please read that topic and let us know if you need further assistance.
Userlevel 1
Is it possible (and how) to store video/pics from the camera (by default) or install apps from Google store onto the nano card?

I cannot seem to be able to find how to do this.

Thanks
Vas
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @VasTheGreek,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read my comment above.
Userlevel 1
Hi @VasTheGreek,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read my comment above.

Thank you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi

My P20 Pro and I believe the Mate 20 Pro too stock camera has no method to change the folder or use the SD card to save photos. There are a few camera issues I've drawn together here:

P20 / Mate20 Pro - All Camera Issues/Bugs

If you're happy with jpegs, Open Camera will save your photos anywhere you like.

In the developer options there is a setting to force allow apps to move to SD card, but it doesn't work on my P20 Pro.

Hope this helps

Steve
Userlevel 1
My P20 Pro and I believe the Mate 20 Pro too stock camera has no method to change the folder or use the SD card to save photos.

Hi Steve

If you go to the camera app, click on the cog symbol to get into settings, there is a "priority save on memory card" option. By switching that setting on all pictures will be saved to the card, with the exception of burst snaps.

Thanks
Vas
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi @VasTheGreek

Thanks for that. I thought someone had told me there's no method on the Mate 20 Pro either, but I stand corrected. There's no option on my P20 pro running Pie 9.0.0.203. There was one, but Huawei removed it!

What phone is yours and what version of Pie do you have?

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 1
What phone is yours and what version of Pie do you have?

Hi Steve

I got a Mate 20 Pro with EMUI 9.0.0.187 (released January 2019).
I am guessing 203 may not be available in my region or Vodafone have not approved it or they stopped pushing it out. Do you know when you had the last update?

Thanks
Vas
Userlevel 1
Today my EMUI was updated to 9.0.0.198 and the camera option to store on the memory card is still there.

Vas
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi @VasTheGreek

I got mine 6 days ago. It was the Feb 1st security patch a bit late!

Pity they can't push the feature out to the P20 Pro :-(

Cheers

Steve
Hi All,

is it correct that the nano SD cannot be formatted as internal storage for mate 20 pro?
@Amy

I've been looking into possibly upgrading to an Huawei phone (possibly the P30 or the P Smart 2019) I know there is a huge price difference in the UK. So I'm interested in the capabilities of the NM Card on the P30, and the fact that in the P Smart 2019 User Guide it advises that not all Devices support Micro SD Cards. Does this mean that if I put my Micro SD card into the P Smart 2019 (32GB Card) it won't be able to read it?

Please can you tell me the point in the NM Card then really, if it's supposed to be a new improved version of the Micro SD Card? How can that be if it's not designed to accept the transfer of Apps from the Internal Memory? All I can see is that it's smaller, but just is capable of holding photos, which is what Google Photos does in the Cloud (More storage than 256MB).

To me this area of capability puts my off purchasing one of your phones, however nice they might look.

Plus I'm also not 100% sure that the P Smart 2019 supports NFC in the UK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hej Reena,

Thank you for your follow-up questions. Since I'm not part of the support team I am not able to answer these but I flagged this thread for our support team. 🙂
Today I purchased the P30 Pro.

I want to transfer many jpeg photos from my computer to the memory card (NM card). How can I make this transfer?

Is there a caddy that the tiny NM card can sit in so I can connect it into one of the micro SD slots in a card reader and then stream the photos from my computer to the NM card via the card reader and then put the NM card in my P30 Pro so all the photographs are then inside my phone? Can this be done?

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Sorry for the lack of replies in this thread! Do you still need help?

If so, please contact our support team directly, as the community do not seem to have an answer for your query: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Any update from this?
I have upgraded to the mate 20 pro from p20 pro because i had no memory left as its full with photos/videos.
the p20 pro has no upgradeable storage so i purchased the mate 20 pro with a 256 nm card.
Currently using phone clone to transfer all data from one to the other.
How do i move all my existing photos to NM card so that internal storage has more space?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@prits_88 if you're looking to move your photos the following should help:

Open the built in Files app and then choose the Memory card link. There you will see what files and folders (if any) you have. You can choose what to keep or delete. To see hidden files or system files, tap on the 3 dots at the top right and choose settings. There you can show hidden files and media files.

Navigate to your Internal Storage and find the folders with the photos you want to transfer to your SD card. Tap and hold on that folder and choose Move at the bottom. Then tap on Categories at the top and choose the Memory card again. Finally tap move at the bottom to move your photos.