I'm getting constantly frustrated seeing everyday in my Google feed about all these updates Mate 20 Pro gets oversees

Userlevel 3
Everyday I see Information from sites like Andriod Central talking about the most recent updates and new features. Over the last 8 weeks there has been more than 5 updates China and other countries have got including the big change of EMUI 9.1 which really should be called EMUI 10 since they have fixed and changed so much. And now even Andriod Q is getting around. While us in the UK are still on very old updates and security patches.
It is clear now Huawei do not give a crap about any country outside of China. This is clear now. And I got my Mate 20 Pro on release I even got the huawei watch 2 sport 4G even that has been abandoned by the software guys in huawei.

It's such a shame as the hardware and design is great just the software is shockly bad.

Sadly this is why I have now completely given up on checking for updates and caring about this now and I have purchased the Oneplus 7 Pro 256GB with 12GB ram Nebula blue. And I cannot wait to have a phone I know that will be supported for a long time and in software listen to the community.
It's a damn shame. I tried to like huawei they have a lot going for them. But until they can listen to the community and start communicating with us many like me who are new to huawei will not stay. They will not retain new people. They will like me come hoping for the best and leave as soon as somthing else comes.

So this is my official goodbye to huawei, everything from the phone, 3 official huawei cases, official wireless charger and the huawei watch sport 2 4G watch have all been as good as sold.
As excluding the watch I've sold for £650 the phone, cases and charger. All mint as new condition. And the watch I'm given to a friend. I'll be adding the £149 extra to it for the £799 top spec 12gb ram 256gb starage oneplus 7 Pro. And I'll never look back.

Take care.

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I don't understand these daily tantrums users throw over updates.... They won't change much in your life. They won't cure cancer, your depression or magically make you rich. They won't transform your device into some kind of futuristic machine.

Sure, they add features... But do you use any of them? The answer is no, you don't use those features:

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/emui/

Here's the basic list of what EMUI9.1 adds compared to EMUI9.0:

Faster phone, not like the Kirin 980 isn't fast enough and fluid to the point you don't notice much.
New file management.... Alright won't do much
Huawei Onehop... Alright it's cool but do you even own one of the latest Huawei notebooks? Only the Matebook 13 is out in Europe.
GPU Turbo.... Do you play any of the games listed on the list? Most likely not.
Car key for BMW? I doubt you own one of the few cars listed.

So? Do you absolutely need the update? It's not like Huawei doesn't release a monthly security patch on high-end devices, on top of other fixes/camera optimizations from time to time.

Concerning China's priority, it's logical, as its their main market. On top of that, many of these updates are China-only because they have a different version of Android, without Google services & such but with extra features for their local market.

In any case, enjoy your 0+ "7 Pro 256GB with 12GB ram Nebula blue". I can't wait to see you throw the same tantrum on their forum in a few months when they don't release a specific update you deem so important.
Userlevel 3
I don't understand these daily tantrums users throw over updates.... They won't change much in your life. They won't cure cancer, your depression or magically make you rich. They won't transform your device into some kind of futuristic machine.

Sure, they add features... But do you use any of them? The answer is no, you don't use those features:

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/emui/

Here's the basic list of what EMUI9.1 adds compared to EMUI9.0:

Faster phone, not like the Kirin 980 isn't fast enough and fluid to the point you don't notice much.
New file management.... Alright won't do much
Huawei Onehop... Alright it's cool but do you even own one of the latest Huawei notebooks? Only the Matebook 13 is out in Europe.
GPU Turbo.... Do you play any of the games listed on the list? Most likely not.
Car key for BMW? I doubt you own one of the few cars listed.

So? Do you absolutely need the update? It's not like Huawei doesn't release a monthly security patch on high-end devices, on top of other fixes/camera optimizations from time to time.

Concerning China's priority, it's logical, as its their main market. On top of that, many of these updates are China-only because they have a different version of Android, without Google services & such but with extra features for their local market.

In any case, enjoy your 0+ "7 Pro 256GB with 12GB ram Nebula blue". I can't wait to see you throw the same tantrum on their forum in a few months when they don't release a specific update you deem so important.

Hahah. Nice. I will buddy. And if you look I did care much about this phone. And was willing to stick around. But I've had it. And I assure you I doubt very much I'd be getting annoyed at oxegen os and one plus. Everyone know they listen and care about feedback. Have a good one though. Take care.
Userlevel 2
Actually, there is one very big thing about 9.1: a working AOD that supports notifications from external apps like WhatsApp. That's enough for me to demand the update. Because other premium phones support it. It's just standard functionality that's missing right now. And that feature I will use maybe 100 times a day.
I bought my phone on April 1st .. It was updated in the 1st setup, I'm in version 9.0.0.210.
We are on May 16 and I have not received any update, security patch April or May..
Userlevel 3
Actually, there is one very big thing about 9.1: a working AOD that supports notifications from external apps like WhatsApp. That's enough for me to demand the update. Because other premium phones support it. It's just standard functionality that's missing right now. And that feature I will use maybe 100 times a day.
This is something most desperately want. Listen guys my son has the xiaomi pocophone f1 and I swear this phone gets updates every week and major update and fixes every month. And it gets security updates every month within days of Google own pixel phone. And I could of bought 4 of his phones for the cost of this phone. Its not much to demand fixes and security updates from a $1000 premuim flagship smart phone. And to listen and work with the community. And not just China. Xiaomi pocophone is a budget phone but the devs listen to the community give constant updates on there website and update the phone with new features and fixes all the time. AND NOT JUST IN CHINA EVERYWHERE. Again this is a budget £250 phone with great hardware and what they are doing with the community and software and updates is what one would expect from a expensive flagship phone. Frankly I have high hopes for the pocophone f2. Seeing new features and updates and fixes every week available world wide on my sons phone all the time their's me with 4 times the price phone and I feel bad each time I see a new update on his phone and then look and mine everyweek pressing search for a new update with fingers crossed. On pocophones forum the software devs even post what they are working on and ask what they would like worked on and what they would like to see in the future. They even somehow managed to update Widevine L1 certification when people said no way they could as its hardware based. And the software devs said they would do everything possible and they managed it. Honestly f knows how but they did.
I'd just like to see huawei speak to the community ask what they want to see and tell us what they are working on. Even their own staff here (who do a great job and the best they can) struggle answering questions as they don't really have contact with them or knowledge of what's going on. All they can do is email over our concerns and issues which may never get looked at.
Userlevel 3
And I'm not ranting. This comes from someone who after years and years since iPhone 3G,4,4s,5,5se,6,8,8plus then jumped to Andriod for first time ever to this Mate 20 Pro I also bought the huawei power bank. Three huawei cases including the smart cover, the official wirless charger and the huawei watch 2 sport 4G watch. (let's not talk about how they abandoned the wear os updates too and left it on Andriod 8 oreo, and 8 months behind on security updates) So I cared and wanted to be all in with huawei. I was also going to buy one of their tablets. So I was all in. But its all up for sale.
Userlevel 2
I'm all with you on that, @DelBoyJamie. I think, Huawei makes some of the best hardware, maybe even the leading one (in case of cameras etc.). But the "strategy" on customer connections and updates is not on the level I would expect when buying flagship phones. For me, that really damages the impression I get from Huawei. And I'm not really sure if I'd buy another phone from them. It just leaves a bitter taste. Too bad.
Userlevel 1
I totally agree with you @DelBoyJamie . If any manufacture sells outside of their established point of sale then they should support the device equally and also provide alternative ways to update other than wait for the ota.

I own a mate 20 pro too here in the uk, I have however just rec'd an update to cover April security updates. However, why 9.1 cannot be pushed out even given a timescale for release is beyond me and also extremely frustrating.

Huawei have come out and said the mate 20 pro will get the Android q on release but then provide updates as quickly? I very much doubt it.

I spent a lot of money on the phone and expect high levels of updates accordingly. I know other brands may not be as quick but One Plus do consistently offer quicker updates and appear to b genuinely listen to it's customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Updates are not just dependant on Huawei.

If you bought from a network example on contract, the network will dictate when the update is pushed out to their devices after they have done their own testing. This is standard for ALL manufacturers.

The updates are also staggered by imei groups so its a staggered rollout.

You have stated you have April update, in June you will get May update.

Huawei are under no obligation to upgrade your EMUI , although they are going to do so to same release as P30 pro (is my understanding)

Waiting on a software update?
Please contact the support team directly. Phone the Hotline: 08000 886 700 Mon - Fri 09:00 - 21:00,Sat. 9:00~17:00 (Except bank holidays). The support team will create an update request for you, if possible. Are you outside the UK? Please contact the support team in your region.
Userlevel 1
Wheneveri I have spoken to ee they have insisted software updates are nothing to do with them. The updates are provided by Huawei.

Speaking to Huawei support did not give me an update.
Updates are carrier and IMEI dependent.
If you have dual SIM, changing data SIM can change update status (update available on one carrier and not for the other).

OP was talking about OnePlus, I used their devices for 4 years.
When an update is out, you have an official post on forum with changelog, staged rollout based on location (VPN to Germany or Canada usually unlock update) and possibility for anyone to force update (you can download update from OnePlus' servers and execute manually in settings).
It's a way more consumer friendly than what Huawei does because it gives choice.

So no it's not a standard for every manufacturer, it's a standard for Huawei and Samsung.