Answered

ip68 water resistance - Mate 20 Pro

• 26 July 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello everybody, has anyone had a problem of water infiltration in their ip68 rated phone?
I had this big issue with my mate 20 pro 6 months old. just had the idea to enjoy some music on Spotify under the shower and i took a phone call under the water pouring down, literally 2 minutes, everything was fine at that time.
After 30 minutes i came back to the phone and touchscreen was weird. I made sure was all dry and then i notice some moisture inside my front camera lense. When i check the back there was moisture on the back camera lenses aswell. Everything was working fine for exception of the speaker.... Since that moment speaker has been just crackling..... I have sent my mate 20 pro to repair center through Huawei customer service, my phone was still on warranty and they sent the phone back without touching it. They reckon warranty is void for water infiltration.... To repair the bill is 1143 pounds..... I find this quite ridiculous on a months old phone that should be ip68 rated. My outdoor floodlight is ip55 and has been outside for 3 years under thunderstorm and still working.
icon

Best answer by Plymalan 27 July 2019, 01:53

Hmm.
Ip68 is laboratory conditions. In those conditions it should be OK being dropped into water on standby for 30 minutes

Using the phone is another issue.
The speaker was in use during the phone call, which vibrates to make sound.
Shower water is hot and has a different effect on materials.
Outdoor lights have 2 bits of insulated wire and thick rubber seals. There's not much to go wrong there and we don't get hot rain.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Other manufacturers have been fined for showing phones being used underwater (Sony & Samsung) so I can understand why you thought a shower would be fine. Clearly it was too much for the phone.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Hmm.
Ip68 is laboratory conditions. In those conditions it should be OK being dropped into water on standby for 30 minutes

Using the phone is another issue.
The speaker was in use during the phone call, which vibrates to make sound.
Shower water is hot and has a different effect on materials.
Outdoor lights have 2 bits of insulated wire and thick rubber seals. There's not much to go wrong there and we don't get hot rain.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Other manufacturers have been fined for showing phones being used underwater (Sony & Samsung) so I can understand why you thought a shower would be fine. Clearly it was too much for the phone.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
as @Plymalan mentioned, IP rating is done in-lab with specific conditions, these being clear water and no real water pressure. The IP67/68 is more a way of protecting your device against accidental damage rather than using it in the water, which manufacturers strongly recommend against and do not cover in their warranties.

For the Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro, Huawei sells proper snorkel cases, allowing you to put the phone under water (beach, pool), each having their own conditions (mate 20 pro: 5 metres/60 minutes max, P30 pro: 10 metres/60 minutes max)

For those who might come accross this post later on, PLEASE don't put your phone in the water voluntarily, unless it is truly marketed as "waterproof" and meant for, such as heavy duty ("rugged") smartphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctGhcJ9jIqo