Answered

Is there a way to increase volume when headphones are used?

• 22 November 2018
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 4
I'm using the same headphones I've used with my last three phones. I've not noticed an issue with volume, but I used my Mate 20 Lite with headphones for the first time and tested with both the Google Play app and Huawei app - the volume was quiet compared to other devices. 3.5mm jack in use.

Is this a limitation of the phone or is there a hidden setting somewhere? I did click 'accept' when the warning popped about about increasing the volume, but even on 100% it was just about OK.
icon

Best answer by Piers 26 November 2018, 23:34

Hi all,

All of our flagship devices come with a advanced audio optimization system powered either by Dolby or Histen depending on the model fo the device. regardless of the make it is located in Settings > Sound > right above the More sound settings.
Within them you will find along side a equalizer, several profiles and options to tweak each in accordance to the headset you are using.
Also dont forget that the phones prompt you for ear protection - if you tap ok it will be set to lower sound so make sure you tap cancel if you like loud music like i do ;)

And as always if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us via forum or via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/

Best wishes,
Max

When a phone costing a quarter of the RRP of the Mate 20 Lite produces superior volume, that says quite a lot about Huawei's 'optimisation'. It's similar to choosing green for the LED when using an RGB controller and compatible diode. It makes no sense at all. Green doesn't fit into the phone's aesthetics. I'll assume there's no answer for this and will accept that I need a separate phone to enjoy music.
View original

35 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi @Piers. In this case, I would suggest you check the specifications of the headphones connected to confirm they are CTIA standard (LRGM / Left, Right, Ground, Microphone, from cable base to connector end). If the headphones use a different standard, pins won't match and sound volume and quality will drop or won't work at all.

Let me know your findings!
Userlevel 4
Hi @Piers. In this case, I would suggest you check the specifications of the headphones connected to confirm they are CTIA standard (LRGM / Left, Right, Ground, Microphone, from cable base to connector end). If the headphones use a different standard, pins won't match and sound volume and quality will drop or won't work at all.

Let me know your findings!

Thank you for the reply, Juan. The quality for calls is fine and the specifications of the headphones meet the CTIA standard - this why I've been able to use them for a number of years over various handsets. The issue is with music volume, not calls. It's just not very loud compared to even a budget phone. Is this a software or hardware limitation? I've tried various options within the 'Histen' sound effects settings to no avail.
I have the same problem on the mate 20 pro, my headset worked fine on the s9 i just switched from. I'm using the doggle for the s type connector. I can change songs but unable to change volume. I appears that you must use the up and down on the side of the phone to control. you would think it would sense the headset and allow the headset control to be use but it doesnt. I would assume same with any headset. annoying for sure. Might need to switch to blue tooth type.
Userlevel 4
I have the same problem on the mate 20 pro, my headset worked fine on the s9 i just switched from. I'm using the doggle for the s type connector. I can change songs but unable to change volume. I appears that you must use the up and down on the side of the phone to control. you would think it would sense the headset and allow the headset control to be use but it doesnt. I would assume same with any headset. annoying for sure. Might need to switch to blue tooth type.

I have the 20 Lite with a 3.5mm headphone socket. I use the up/down to adjust volume, but the maximum volume offered by the device is sub-par compared to any other phone in the class, or even phones half the cost. It's a shame as the general speaker volume is incredibly good for the device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

All of our flagship devices come with a advanced audio optimization system powered either by Dolby or Histen depending on the model fo the device. regardless of the make it is located in Settings > Sound > right above the More sound settings.
Within them you will find along side a equalizer, several profiles and options to tweak each in accordance to the headset you are using.
Also dont forget that the phones prompt you for ear protection - if you tap ok it will be set to lower sound so make sure you tap cancel if you like loud music like i do ;)

And as always if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us via forum or via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
Hi all,

Best wishes,
Max

When a phone costing a quarter of the RRP of the Mate 20 Lite produces superior volume, that says quite a lot about Huawei's 'optimisation'. It's similar to choosing green for the LED when using an RGB controller and compatible diode. It makes no sense at all. Green doesn't fit into the phone's aesthetics. I'll assume there's no answer for this and will accept that I need a separate phone to enjoy music.
Userlevel 1
I am so regretful about buying this phone. Everyone hyped up this phone and I think it's absolute rubbish. The AI on the front camera and now the volume. The Dolby Atmos setting that you suggest using is rubbish. There is little to no difference not to mention the setting is not compatible to be meddled with if you have Bluetooth headphones. Wish I had just stuck with iPhone. This whole experience has dampened my experience with android not to mention Huawei phones. Can't even hear my music when I'm on the train.
Userlevel 4
I am so regretful about buying this phone. Everyone hyped up this phone and I think it's absolute rubbish. The AI on the front camera and now the volume. The Dolby Atmos setting that you suggest using is rubbish. There is little to no difference not to mention the setting is not compatible to be meddled with if you have Bluetooth headphones. Wish I had just stuck with iPhone. This whole experience has dampened my experience with android not to mention Huawei phones. Can't even hear my music when I'm on the train.

Which model did you purchase?
Userlevel 1
I bought the Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Don’t believe the hype. If you like in ear earphones then you’re fine, but I don’t like them as I like to hear the bass in my music and they always fall out of my ears. The maximum volume I received on my Huawei when using my Bluetooth headset is equivalent to half the sound volume of my iPhone 7. So £899 for what exactly?! I should be able to use whatever headphones I like and if the sound settings are so advanced they should be Bluetooth compatible. It’s 2019, I don’t have time for this nonsense nor money to waste. As much as I wanted to leave Apple looks like I’m going straight back. Better the devil you know than the one you don’t. Selling the Huawei and the most I can get for it is £455. So now out of pocket! This is why people don’t leave Apple.
Userlevel 4
I bought the Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Don’t believe the hype. If you like in ear earphones then you’re fine, but I don’t like them as I like to hear the bass in my music and they always fall out of my ears. The maximum volume I received on my Huawei when using my Bluetooth headset is equivalent to half the sound volume of my iPhone 7. So £899 for what exactly?! I should be able to use whatever headphones I like and if the sound settings are so advanced they should be Bluetooth compatible. It’s 2019, I don’t have time for this nonsense nor money to waste. As much as I wanted to leave Apple looks like I’m going straight back. Better the devil you know than the one you don’t. Selling the Huawei and the most I can get for it is £455. So now out of pocket! This is why people don’t leave Apple.

Oh, I don't believe the hype. I thought I would give Huawei one more try and for the most part, it's been terrible. The support, or lack thereof, is the major issue.
Userlevel 1
Hi,
Same...
Two days ago I buy mate 20 Pro.
The sound from this phone is incredible poor.
I use this phone to listen music from Spotify in my car using a regular AUX input. Poor and very low volume sound. My old HTC plays music from Spotify with great quality.

Others troubles:
1. The fingerprints sensor recognise one time per 10 trying...
2. Camera is a small desaster... Pictures quality is a like two dollar's camera...
I try to adjust some settings, but every time when I capture a picture with peoples, their faces looks like death corpses..
3. Battery life - about two days... Are you sure about the battery capacity?
I ask because my old HTC with 3000mah battery works about 3 days. This is a two and half years old phone....

Excuse me for this bad words, but when I pay about 800 euro I expect to got quality not like cheap phone from a aliexpress..

In this phone has only one good thing - the display.

So... Tomorrow will back to seller and return this scrap back...
After that will buy a new HTC and and never look back to your "high end phone"....
Userlevel 4

I am so regretful about buying this phone. Everyone hyped up this phone and I think it's absolute rubbish. The AI on the front camera and now the volume. The Dolby Atmos setting that you suggest using is rubbish. There is little to no difference not to mention the setting is not compatible to be meddled with if you have Bluetooth headphones. Wish I had just stuck with iPhone. This whole experience has dampened my experience with android not to mention Huawei phones. Can't even hear my music when I'm on the train.Hi,
Same...
I use this phone to listen music from Spotify in my car using a regular AUX input. Poor and very low volume sound. My old HTC plays music from Spotify with great quality.

Others troubles:
2. Camera is a small desaster... Pictures quality is a like two dollar's camera...
I try to adjust some settings, but every time when I capture a picture with peoples, their faces looks like death corpses..
I ask because my old HTC with 3000mah battery works about 3 days. This is a two and half years old phone....

Excuse me for this bad words, but when I pay about 800 euro I expect to got quality not like cheap phone from a aliexpress..

After that will buy a new HTC and and never look back to your "high end phone"....

It's a high-end phone in terms of hardware, just a low-end phone in terms of software and support.

I've been waiting over two months for updates from @Max via private message. 3/10 support compared to any other manufacturer.

Edit: And I appear to have been banned from posting topics in the Mate 20 forum, despite having two devices from the Mate 20 range and another two Huawei devices. That '3/10' support rating has changed to a 1/10.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Edit: And I appear to have been banned from posting topics in the Mate 20 forum, despite having two devices from the Mate 20 range and another two Huawei devices. That '3/10' support rating has changed to a 1/10.

Hey Piers,

I answered your questions on this topic.
Userlevel 1

I am so regretful about buying this phone. Everyone hyped up this phone and I think it's absolute rubbish. The AI on the front camera and now the volume. The Dolby Atmos setting that you suggest using is rubbish. There is little to no difference not to mention the setting is not compatible to be meddled with if you have Bluetooth headphones. Wish I had just stuck with iPhone. This whole experience has dampened my experience with android not to mention Huawei phones. Can't even hear my music when I'm on the train.Hi,
Same...

Others troubles:

It's a high-end phone in terms of hardware, just a low-end phone in terms of software and support.

I've been waiting over two months for updates from @Max via private message. 3/10 support compared to any other manufacturer.

I don't know how to comment this...

So. In Internet I found a opinions that I need to replace USB to 3.5mm jack converter with other one for better sound. Now I got another USB to 3.5mm jack converter and will test it, if the result is bad(I can not believe in miracle...) will return this phone back to seller. The laws in EU give me this option.
I'm so sad, because this phone has a nice design, but....
Userlevel 4

Same...

Others troubles:

I don't know how to comment this...

So. In Internet I found a opinions that I need to replace USB to 3.5mm jack converter with other one for better sound. Now I got another USB to 3.5mm jack converter and will test it, if the result is bad(I can not believe in miracle...) will return this phone back to seller. The laws in EU give me this option.
I'm so sad, because this phone has a nice design, but....

Sorry, what I meant to say is that the phone's hardware is well-thought-out and well-balanced, but the software lets it down and updates/fixes are slow to be rolled out. I believe some of the restrictions on volume are software, not hardware.
Userlevel 4
Hi all,

Best wishes,
Max

Why are you changing my selected 'Best Answer'? I don't agree with what you've said and I did not select that as the best answer. I'm starting to see why authorities in some countries are taking a closer look at Huawei - something I've been against.

I've honestly not seen this level of hostility towards customers from any other manufacturer of hardware 👎
Userlevel 1

Sorry, what I meant to say is that the phone's hardware is well-thought-out and well-balanced, but the software lets it down and updates/fixes are slow to be rolled out. I believe some of the restrictions on volume are software, not hardware.

I see.
But the main problem is not only volume.
I think there is a hardware problem with sound stage, I mean headphones amplifier or audio DAC.
Because sound quality is very poor just like cleap mp3 player from aliexpress...

But there is one more issue with sound, I found some discussions that the sound quality playback via Bluetooth is also poor.

So... today I spoke with seller he agree to refund money and get back this huawei...

For me the problem is solved, tomorrow I will replace this "phone" with HTC U12+ or Samsung galaxy note 9. I think this is the best way.
Userlevel 4

I see.
But the main problem is not only volume.
I think there is a hardware problem with sound stage, I mean headphones amplifier or audio DAC.
Because sound quality is very poor just like cleap mp3 player from aliexpress...

But there is one more issue with sound, I found some discussions that the sound quality playback via Bluetooth is also poor.

So... today I spoke with seller he agree to refund money and get back this huawei...

For me the problem is solved, tomorrow I will replace this "phone" with HTC U12+ or Samsung galaxy note 9. I think this is the best way.

The DAC can handle an increased volume and the equaliser allows for a good level of customisation. I tested by this by installing an "audio booster" apk I've had since Android 5 - it shows that, by headphones, the volume can be increased without degrading the quality. That's why I believe it's a software issue, not a hardware issue. I have no reason to give Huawei credit for anything - my experience on this forum has put me off ever using anything produced by Huawei-owned companies, but I believe in fairness.
This also happen with my Huawei Y Max which I purchased few weeks ago.

1. The sound on the phone speaker itself is not as loud as expected. The promote of this phone is -great loud sound that why I change from Mi Max 3 to this phone between them big screen size.

Also the blogger who reviews this phone on YouTube mention that the first version they get from China seem to be louder than the version sale in my country (Thailand) but now I think this is the software bug issue. Why? Read the 2

2. When connect to my headphones via 3.5 port, the sound can't get to the maximum. No matter what setter I have check. I go through every menus they had.

But suddenly I open Facebook app the music doing get instantly increased to the maximum volume. This is why I think it is software issue.

This sound issues is worse when you are promote it as good quality speaker. The Dolby Atmos is not Useless!

It is worse than my 4 years old iPhone 6s.

This is unacceptable and such a shame. I will post this on Facebook and will moving to another. This is first time I purchased from Huawei and sure it is not so impressed but disappointed.
Userlevel 4

1. The sound on the phone speaker itself is not as loud as expected. The promote of this phone is -great loud sound that why I change from Mi Max 3 to this phone between them big screen size.

Also the blogger who reviews this phone on YouTube mention that the first version they get from China seem to be louder than the version sale in my country (Thailand) but now I think this is the software bug issue. Why? Read the 2

2. When connect to my headphones via 3.5 port, the sound can't get to the maximum. No matter what setter I have check. I go through every menus they had.

But suddenly I open Facebook app the music doing get instantly increased to the maximum volume. This is why I think it is software issue.

This sound issues is worse when you are promote it as good quality speaker. The Dolby Atmos is not Useless!

This is unacceptable and such a shame. I will post this on Facebook and will moving to another. This is first time I purchased from Huawei and sure it is not so impressed but disappointed.

When you say the phone can't reach its maximum volume, have you disabled the safeguard? Would you mind providing a Facebook link that increases the volume for you?

When you say the phone can't reach its maximum volume, have you disabled the safeguard? Would you mind providing a Facebook link that increases the volume for you?

There are no any safeguard options at all. The Facebook inmeantion isn't about the posts. I just put the headphone and then open Spotify to listen music and increase the volume but it still not loud (I used it and I know that it can be louder) suddenly I just open Facebook app as usual and whenever I open Facebook app the volume go up loud as it should be. If I get out of Facebook then the sound is immediately more quiet again. These have nothing to do with the volume settings. It always set to maximum all the time. But it just not loud as it should be. I can say that it is just about a half of the maximum volume. Imagine I put the in-ear headphones because I want to listen music nice and loud but I can't. This kinda annoyed me.
I found out some way to fix it but I have to do this every time.

See the screenshot. When I open Facebook app it will be this Karaoke Effect settings appearing on Facebook. And I didn't know where did it come from and I could see it only when I use Facebook.

I have to reactivate the "Headset monitoring" and then the headphones will get the maximum volume as it should be.

Do you have idea what is this about?

Userlevel 4
I found out some way to fix it but I have to do this every time.

See the screenshot. When I open Facebook app it will be this Karaoke Effect settings appearing on Facebook. And I didn't know where did it come from and I could see it only when I use Facebook.

I have to reactivate the "Headset monitoring" and then the headphones will get the maximum volume as it should be.

Do you have idea what is this about?

I'm guessing that is model or OS-specific. You have a different model. Have you tried playing with those options or exploring audio enhancements in Settings?
Ok I just recently got a Mate 20 Lite and while speaker volume is ok I deffenetly felt bad about the cabled audio, while it is an unconventional way to fix the issue I stumbbled into an app called Volume Booster by Goodev on the playstore it only took a tweak to a 10% to get some decent audio keep in mind that these will boost the whole volume on the phone
Userlevel 4
Ok I just recently got a Mate 20 Lite and while speaker volume is ok I deffenetly felt bad about the cabled audio, while it is an unconventional way to fix the issue I stumbbled into an app called Volume Booster by Goodev on the playstore it only took a tweak to a 10% to get some decent audio keep in mind that these will boost the whole volume on the phone

It's a good phone (hardware) apart from that. Those apps are reasonable at doing the job and 'Histen' can be tweaked to provide proper sound levels, but it's something Huawei could easily fix (like so many other issues) but simply doesn't bother.