Answered

Is there a way to remove stock apps?

• 14 November 2018
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 4
I've owned quite a few phones since my first Ericsson T10 as a child, including the P10, but I've never experienced a phone that comes with so many bloatware apps.

1. Why do I have two file managers?
  2. Why do I have two calendars (one from Google)?
  3. Why are so many of the apps I don't want, but can't remove, from a company called 'tctap'?
It would be nice to be given an option to remove some of these apps. I really don't see a need for two file managers and two calendars, for example.

Apart from that, the Mate 20 Lite is OK, although I'm returning the second unit I bought.
icon

Best answer by Max 20 November 2018, 14:59

Hi Piers,

Thank you for the screenshots and glad to hear that the surplussed apps are removable. I will inquire into this matter further with our R&D team and do my best to keep you updated with any findings.

Best wishes,
Max
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Piers,

Thank you for your feedback for the Mate 20 Lite. It's good to know what we could improve to our device with future updates.
To answer to your questions, you may encounter indeed some system apps which you can't uninstall from your device. However if the phone is branded by your network provider, they may also have added some of their apps as system ones just to configurate the phone for their specific features. It might possible to have two files managers just because of that or because there is a file manager app installed by the customer. Any third party app you could disable and uninstall it.

And as always if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us via forum or via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
Hi Piers,

Thank you for your feedback for the Mate 20 Lite. It's good to know what we could improve to our device with future updates.
To answer to your questions, you may encounter indeed some system apps which you can't uninstall from your device. However if the phone is branded by your network provider, they may also have added some of their apps as system ones just to configurate the phone for their specific features. It might possible to have two files managers just because of that or because there is a file manager app installed by the customer. Any third party app you could disable and uninstall it.

And as always if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us via forum or via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/

Best wishes,
Max

Thank you for your reply. The phone is not branded from my network operator, although it was provided by them. No apps came pre-installed and they provided a stock handset.

Why are there two file managers, neither of which can be removed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Piers,
Could you by chance post a print screen so we have a image upon witch to discus.
Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
Hello Max,

Thank you for your reply. Here's a screenshot. I have no installed any of these apps and Vodafone (my network) provided a non-branded handset. Upon inserting my sim card, the usual network settings were obtained and the My Vodafone app was installed. I have checked this with Vodafone and they have stated that they are not customising the Mate 20 series.

Information from the apps is as following:

Files: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
File Manager: I have managed to remove this app using HiSuite. Seals on the box were not broken - I have two Mate 20 Lite phones and both have the same apps. The file information seems to point towards TCL. I've never owned a TCL/Nokia/Alcatel device.

Calendar: The one with the horrible icon is a stock app from Huawei I believe.
Calendar: Google's version - can be removed, but came with the phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Piers,

Thank you for the screenshots and glad to hear that the surplussed apps are removable. I will inquire into this matter further with our R&D team and do my best to keep you updated with any findings.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 1
One thing I find annoying is that many of the Android native apps like mediastorage can be uninstalled on the mate 20 pro. Shouldn't those all be locked down and un installable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi, @tyw7 ,

Those apps that you are seeing are provided by the Android developers, therfore are external from Huawei and that's why you can uninstall them.

Hope this answers your question.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 1
Hi, @tyw7 ,

Those apps that you are seeing are provided by the Android developers, therfore are external from Huawei and that's why you can uninstall them.

Hope this answers your question.

Best wishes,
Max

Yeah but wouldn't uninstalling it break your mobile?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @tyw7,

It can cause software malfunctions or system errors, therefore we do not recommend having them removed.
It is best to keep the software depended apps installed as they are required for a smooth and compatible working software.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Max
Userlevel 1
Hi @tyw7,

It can cause software malfunctions or system errors, therefore we do not recommend having them removed.
It is best to keep the software depended apps installed as they are required for a smooth and compatible working software.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Max

Then why not lock them and make them un installable?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @tyw7,

As previously stated, the applications that you are seeing are provided by the Android developers, independent from Huawei. That is why you are able to uninstall them- but not recommended to do so.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Max
Userlevel 1
Well on the other PHONES, Android apps are locked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @tyw7,

We completely understand, but as this is specifically the Huawei forum, we can only provide assistance in regards to our Huawei devices!
Hopefully the above have provided a better insight on the situation.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Max