Answered

Issue when using 40 mp camera

• 22 November 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
This is for AI turned off.:

When you choose to use the 40mp resolution on the main camera, it removes the ability to switch to the 20mp wide angle camera.

Example, if i want to take a wide angle photo, i have to go into settings, set the camera to 10mp and then "zoom" out to get the 20 mp wideangle camera.

Its fustrating that i have to do a 4-step operation just to take a wide angle photo. And I don't want 10mp on my main camera. This is 2018, and i have a phone with 40mp camera. Not 10.

Why is it like this?
icon

Best answer by Juan 23 November 2018, 13:00

Hi @Terkje. Thanks for sharing your suggestion with us. The explanation for this is that the only way of obtaining a 40 MP photography is using the main 40 MP camera and not zooming in. When zooming in, the total MP of the photo will be less than that and, when using the ultra-wide camera, the maximum will be 20 MP.

I understand that your main point is not having to do 4-steps operation to change between these two resolutions, but that's tricky since if you want to take 40 MP and you navigate to different camera mode, that resolution won't be 40 MP. To avoid this, 10 MP resolution is set as default.

Starting with P20 Pro, 40 MP camera, a new processing system was used to improve image quality, especially in low light. Every 4 pixels will gather the data to generate 1 pixel in the photo. That's the key for obtaining the best results in low light conditions among all the smartphones, so that's something to take into account. 😉 It might not be perfect, but it's nice!

In addition to this, find below the specifications of the Mate 20 Pro camera are the following:

40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide)
20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultra-wide)
8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto) 5x optical zoom

Rest assured we will pass your suggestion as well.

If you require further assistance, please let us know!

Have a great day!
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Thank you answering.

I understand why the zooming is disabled when you have it on 40 mp.
But why mix the wide angle camera into the zoom bar? Using the main camera compared to the wide angle is totally two very different photo results. I dont agree that wide angle is a "zoom out" of the regular lens.

"... but that's tricky since if you want to take 40 MP and you navigate to different camera mode, that resolution won't be 40 MP. To avoid this, 10 MP resolution is set as default."

How is that logic? When you have main camera on 10 mp and change to the wide angle, it changes to 20 mp anyway?? Why cant you have main camera on 40 mp and change to the 20 mp wide angle. Its the same thing isnt it?

Feels wierd and unlogic running around with a 40mp camera and only use 10mp.

At least, please give us the option to download a wide angle option on the "More" menu or something.
Why dont they do like the iPhone that it automaticcly changes the resoulusion as you zoom in or out. That would have been so useful and easy to use insted of going into settings!!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Why dont they do like the iPhone that it automaticcly changes the resoulusion as you zoom in or out. That would have been so useful and easy to use insted of going into settings!!
I agree with @ttj99 the more intuitive thing to do would be to switch the resolution/camera on the fly when zooming in/out, and that way you are just static in one screen without having to mess about in settings, which would a much more elegant way of doing things
🙂
Userlevel 2
Hi @Terkje. Thanks for sharing your suggestion with us. The explanation for this is that the only way of obtaining a 40 MP photography is using the main 40 MP camera and not zooming in. When zooming in, the total MP of the photo will be less than that and, when using the ultra-wide camera, the maximum will be 20 MP.

I understand that your main point is not having to do 4-steps operation to change between these two resolutions, but that's tricky since if you want to take 40 MP and you navigate to different camera mode, that resolution won't be 40 MP. To avoid this, 10 MP resolution is set as default.

Starting with P20 Pro, 40 MP camera, a new processing system was used to improve image quality, especially in low light. Every 4 pixels will gather the data to generate 1 pixel in the photo. That's the key for obtaining the best results in low light conditions among all the smartphones, so that's something to take into account. 😉 It might not be perfect, but it's nice!

In addition to this, find below the specifications of the Mate 20 Pro camera are the following:

40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide)
20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultra-wide)
8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto) 5x optical zoom

Rest assured we will pass your suggestion as well.

If you require further assistance, please let us know!

Have a great day!
Good (and not good) to hear this isn't just something that annoys me. I just got a P30 Pro moving from LG and I've noticed the 10MP images to be just a bit too smoothed. It really takes away the potential of this camera. Switching to 40MP though, the photos are as good as you'd expect. But not having the option to go wide without first changing back to 10MP is annoying to say the least, especially when if you select 10MP, you can switch to the wide angle and get 20MP.

All they need to do is allow you to select 0.6x @ 20MP, 1x @ 40MP, and 5x @ 8MP and this camera would be perfect. Forget all the inbetween digital zoom stuff.
Hi,

Joining this thread just to say that I'd like Huawei to update the camera with 2 things:
1. Give me ability to choose the camera I want to. It is annoying to zoom in when recording a video and seeing the jump from one camera to the other. I understand if the 40mp camera has no zoom so as not to lose detail, but when I record video, I don't want to see jumps. Let me choose the camera.
2. Give me the ability to disable beauty in selfie camera. I hate how unreal I look in video calls.

Hope you guys do some updates with the camera. It is the one factor that made me buy this phone, and these 2 things are making my experience camera experience terrible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Terkje,

As Juan has mentioned before we are always collecting feedback and adding them. I will also make a note of this and perhaps it will be available in a future update.

Best wishes,
Max
hello,
trying to revive this.

i've been using the p30 for a few weeks now, an i must say this is the top inconvenience for me as far as camera goes.
i understand the logic behind the decision.
but i would like that a request be passed upwords to the devs.

please add separate setings for camera modes.

let me set the regula photos to 10mp, but also let me set the pro mode to 40mp.
and remember these settings individually!

that way i can use the photo mode for point and shoot stuff, and can quick switch between cameras or zoom modes as huawey sees them, but when i switch to pro i will ALWAYS be in 40mp mode.

right now whatever i set in photo is a global setting for all modes that use main camera.

thanks, hope somebody finds this worth adding in a future update.