Answered

LYA-L29 // OTG USB DAC audio works only with Reverse Wireless Charging on

• 19 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi Huawei,

I'm a frequent user who appreciates good audio.
Since Mate 20 pro was released without a headphone jack, I thought of using my own external DAC to play music from my phone. However I have not been able to as somehow using OTG USB to my DAC it powered it up but audio is not routing there but instead plays on the phone speaker itself.

It has been a dreadful experience as I do not get to enjoy music via my DAC.
Today I stumbled across few posts and some mentioned to turn on performance mode and reverse wireless charging. I have tried it and confirmed that turning on reverse wireless charging somehow works, with my audio going through my DAC. However with reverse wireless charging, the problem is it will automatically turn itself off if there is no wireless charging initiated.
steps that was taken:

1) Turn on Performance Mode
2) Turn on Reverse Wireless Charging
3) Plug in my OTG USB DAC (Audio played through it)
4) Turn off Performance Mode (Audio still works via DAC)
5) Turn off Reverse Wireless Charging (Audio disconnected)
6) Turn on Reverse Wireless Charging (DAC detected and audio works through it)
7) Wait till Reverse Wireless Charging turns off by itself (audio disconnected)
😎 Repeated steps 6 and 7 for another 2 times, result remained the same.
9) Plug out and in the OTG USB DAC whilst Reverse Wireless Charging remained on (Audio still work through DAC after connecting it to phone)

From here it is obvious that somehow turning on reverse wireless charging worked albeit only for a while.
Huawei, I beg you please work on this and find out a solution to this.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Ethan
icon

Best answer by BarneyT 14 August 2019, 16:52

Hello @BenAtWork, welcome to the community!

We appreciate the customer's input and are very thankful that you took the time to write these suggestions regarding Mate 20 Pro.

Your requests have been passed on to the development team and we can assure you that they will be taken into account for future updates & development.

Thank you for your feedback!

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any kind of problems in the future. You can also send me a private message for further assistance. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
View original

4 replies

I can only second that request #Huawei. I have a P30 Pro, which SHOULD be top of the shelf, but frankly lacks in the audio section, regardless the Dolby implementation.

Like Ethan, I do like to listen to my cabled 3.5mm open audiophile AKG K712 pro headphones, from the Huawei P30 Pro. To do so, I can use on my Google Pixel 2 and my XIOMI Pocophone F1 any OTG USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. I use the adapter that's coming with the Pixel2, and I bought another independent one from Hidizs.

While these are working fine on the other phones, the P30 Pro does acknowledge that there IS a USB device, but in USB settings it only offers for that device "Reverse Charge". I cannot choose any other option, it always falls back to that setting.

Although it is technically true that the phone provides power, the aim is to let audio play. THe program I use (USB Audio Player Pro) does recognize the #OTG #USB #DAC, but cannot play.

The steps mentioned by Ethan do not work at all on the P30 Pro, unfortunately, although it sounds pretty similar.

I can only play through USB-C with my S.M.S.L. IQ DAC, which has it's own power - there, it works like a charm. Why does a regular USB-C to 3.5mm adapter not work, and why do you not provide right away such an adapter? It shouldn't be a problem with such a pricey flagship phone!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello @BenAtWork, welcome to the community!

We appreciate the customer's input and are very thankful that you took the time to write these suggestions regarding Mate 20 Pro.

Your requests have been passed on to the development team and we can assure you that they will be taken into account for future updates & development.

Thank you for your feedback!

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any kind of problems in the future. You can also send me a private message for further assistance. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
Same issue here, however I love in Australia so I think the issue is Universial. Got the Mate 20 Pro, I rang up the customer service a while ago and they do not know what to do and dven ask me to turn Reverse Wireless Charging on and off. Please fix the issue!
Same issue here. I regretted bought this phone. This feature works on all phones including iPhones but not on Mate 20 Pro. Like a joke.