Answered

Mate 20 lite - All SD cards appear as damaged

Userlevel 3
Mate 20 lite, bought in germany, 1 month of use.
SD card formated in phone has failed with the error "your sd card is damaged, format to fix"
after formatting, and not putting data back in it, the error showed up again.
error shows up at random intervals., until card is not readable again.

formatted again in the phone, added data (5gb of music). problem appears at random until is not readable anymore.
formatted on PC this time, and retried with and without data. problem reappears after 1 or 2 days each time.

ordered a brand new sd card.--- Sandisk ultra 64gb

Put it in, format it. even with no data on it, the error still appears.

hypothesis - SD card functionality faulty on phone.

still got a 3rd card -brand new again-
same problems happen.

3 failures in a row with sandisk 64gb 10 A1's.
cards are readable just fine in PC with USB card reader.

---------------------------
Please let me know if it is fixable via update.

First huawei hpone after a lifetime of samsung s's, note's and LG's g's and v's.
Please don't fail me huawei.
icon

Best answer by Max 3 December 2018, 15:35

Hello all,

In case that all the troubleshooting presented above are not effective for some, the last step would be to have them inspected by a Huawei Service center.
To facilitate the service repairs or inspections for the UK region we offer a postal repair service that is free of charge, for in warranty repairs.
To make a booking you just need to contact a huawei operator via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/ either by mail, chat or hotline.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Max
View original

199 replies

Userlevel 4
I've just ordered two of these phones and this is concerning. Can anyone at Huawei reply?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I have put in sd card into my phone without issue.

I formatted the card on the device.
Userlevel 3
Chillphone,

thanks for your input. How long have you have the phone for?
what type of memory card (brand/capacity)
how long have you used the card and memory card (together) for?

I dont expect _all_ mate 20 lites to present this problem...but if mine is, chances are that some others out there are having the same problem too.
Same problem of my 2 Mate 20 Lite (1 Black and 1 Gold). I've bought 4SD, 64gb (sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb, Samsung 64gb evo). Everyday a lot of "your sd card is damaged, format to fix".
Userlevel 3
Issue is not solved yet , i accidentally pressed "best answer" and now it is not possible to take it back.
Man, who designs this stufff?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Issue is not solved yet , i accidentally pressed "best answer" and now it is not possible to take it back.
Man, who designs this stufff?

Unsolved it. Also asked our support team to check this topic.
I have the same problem, bought in Russia
Userlevel 2
Hi all,

Regarding the issue you mentioned with the 64 GB micro SD card, I would suggest you make sure the micro SD card is type UHS-I level or Class 10 level and formatted in FAT32 (exFAT) or NTFS formats. You can format the microSD card using a computer or from the tablet itself (Settings > Storage). I would recommend not selecting the microSD card as a default storage since phones are optimized to ensure a fast and user friendly experience and the writing speed of an SD card plus the risk of data loss due to it becoming either demagnetized or corrupted are factors to take into account. Does the issue appears with 64 GB only? Please, try with a 32 GB micro SD card to see if the same error message appears. If the issue only appears when using 64 GB SD cards or higher, I would like to report the issue to our development department.

Please, let me know the results of the test suggested to be able to assist you further if the issue persists.

I look forward to your reply!

Juan
Userlevel 4
I have a 32GB Sandisk card in one of my Mate 20 Lite phones, and a 128GB in another. So far, I've not seen any corruption. I've been using the main phone for a week and have 6GB of music. I've also checked the images stored on the microSD for any sign of silent corruption - nothing so far.

I did have this issue on a non-Huawei phone and it got to the point where I stopped using SD cards.

I formatted the cards using the phone's built-in software and have transferred files using the provided cable - not sure if that helps at all.

This may seem like a stupid suggestion, but have you tried cleaning the card's contacts with (not manufacturer recommended) an alcohol-based wipe and leaving it to dry?
Userlevel 4
Any update on this? Curious if you managed to resolve the issue.
Userlevel 1
After a long line os Samsungs I also decided to buy a mate 20 lite just 20 days ago. Since then I have tried two brand new sandisk 64 and an old sandisk 32 that worked in my sams for a long time. Every now and then the phone rejects the memory and returns to internal storage issuing the above mentioned messages.I have tried formatting the cards using my desktop or the phone. All three cards seem to work perfectly with a usb3 adapter on the desktop.
I am really frustrated with this issue since doa period has passed and have to go through the service check procedures...
Userlevel 4
After a long line os Samsungs I also decided to buy a mate 20 lite just 20 days ago. Since then I have tried two brand new sandisk 64 and an old sandisk 32 that worked in my sams for a long time. Every now and then the phone rejects the memory and returns to internal storage issuing the above mentioned messages.I have tried formatting the cards using my desktop or the phone. All three cards seem to work perfectly with a usb3 adapter on the desktop.
I am really frustrated with this issue since doa period has passed and have to go through the service check procedures...

I suggest this above, but have you tried making sure the contacts are completely clean? I've tried four microSD cards in one of my phones and cleaned the contact pins with alcohol wipes followed by a spectacles cleaning cloth. Only then did I insert the cards and, so far, haven't seen an issue with corruption.

Cards tried (all class 10/U1 or U3):
  • Kingston 256GB
  • Samsung 128GB
  • Sandisk 64GB
  • Sandisk 32GB
  • I have a really old Sandisk 16GB card that I could try.
Userlevel 2
Hi @Piers. Thanks for sharing these recommendations with the community. We look forward to the replies of the community members to see whether the issue was resolved. Please, let us know your findings when you try this out. We'll be here to assist you.
Userlevel 1
Hi Piers,
Thanks for the reply.
All cards are class 10. As a matter of fact I didn’t clean any of the new ones, but on the other hand I have never cleaned any other new sd card that I have bought. I just tried an older Transcend 32 from my camera (also class 10).I thoroughly cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol.I already have an error code for an SD card error as I tried to use the express photo feature. The camera changed its seething and is now saving in the internal memory....
@Juan
Thank you for your recommendations earlier. Being a member of the support team, could you please help by checking if there is any official recommendation for not using external memory cards or any hints referring to the type of cards that should be used.
Userlevel 4
Hi Piers,
Thanks for the reply.
All cards are class 10. As a matter of fact I didn’t clean any of the new ones, but on the other hand I have never cleaned any other new sd card that I have bought. I just tried an older Transcend 32 from my camera (also class 10).I thoroughly cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol.I already have an error code for and SD card error as I tried to use the express photo feature. The camera changed its seething and is now saving in the internal memory....

That's really odd. I can't think of anything else and I don't believe Huawei publishes a QVL for microSD cards. It would be helpful if the company did so. As I've mentioned higher up in this thread, I did have an issue with an older phone where SD cards kept corrupting data. There was no fix and I ended up using the internal memory instead. I would suggest one of the following, although check with Huawei first if you wish:

• Check with Huawei if they can provide a solution (seems unlikely)
  • Perform a hard-reset on the phone
Out of interest, which firmware version do you have? I only started to notice issues with my phones after the .131 (C432) update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Eloidar,

As Juan has mentioned before the official recommendation for SD cards in regards to any Huawei product is micro SD card type UHS-I level or Class 10 level and formatted in FAT32 (exFAT) or NTFS formats.

And as always if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us via forum or via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 2
Same problem here in Romania. Mate 20 lite with sd card error message every 2-3 days. What i did : bought two microsd cards: Kingston 64Gig, SanDisk 32Gig hy speed cards. Format both cards in the phone, factory reset the phone. Memory used is the internal memory of the phone. All this and the error message appeared again. In all this time i can see and access the files from the sdcard. This is frustrating. I inserted those cards in my pc and checked for errors. It seems some files to be corrupted. I think is a software problem with the mate 20 lite. Hope a software update will fix this annoying error. Is not about dirty contacts on the cards as soon those are brand new and the phone as well.
Userlevel 3
I have tried the contact cleaning recommendations with no success. The 3 cards i have, formatted via phone and PC fail in each test after 2-3 days. They still fail when empty and when holding 25 songs only.

Dear reader; if you are having the same problem i encourage you to add a comment here so that we can get more visibility.
This would seem to point at a software issue or a "hardware reader module" intermittent failure.
Userlevel 4
I have tried the contact cleaning recommendations with no success. The 3 cards i have, formatted via phone and PC fail in each test after 2-3 days. They still fail when empty and when holding 25 songs only.

Dear reader; if you are having the same problem i encourage you to add a comment here so that we can get more visibility.
This would seem to point at a software issue or a "hardware reader module" intermittent failure.

It seems as though you have a faulty phone. It would be best to speak with Huawei's customer support, but no amount of resetting the phone or additional cleaning of contacts is likely to fix the problem.
2 different Mate 20 lite. Both newly bought Samsung SD cards. Also tried about 4 old SD cards. Frequent SD card damaged notification. Sometimes works after restart. It's very annoying. Waiting for a fix or I will return the phone. Found many threads on the web with similar issues. It's not just a problem of a few faulty devices.
Userlevel 4
2 different Mate 20 lite. Both newly bought Samsung SD cards. Also tried about 4 old SD cards. Frequent SD card damaged notification. Sometimes works after restart. It's very annoying. Waiting for a fix or I will return the phone. Found many threads on the web with similar issues. It's not just a problem of a few faulty devices.

Out of the many issues with the Mate 20 Lite, I haven't yet seen any SD issues on my two phones.
Userlevel 1
Hello, I bought my Mate 20 lite in Slovenia, one week ago. It seems to have the same problems as one described above. I tried 3 brand new SD cards, 64GB Sandisk, 32GB Sandisk and 16GB Samsung. Also tried to hard reset phone, formating the SD card, and everything.
It seems nothing can fix the problem, the notification ''SD card is demaged, try to formate it'', still apears.
Two of the people I know also have the same problem.
I now have phone on the service. Hope they fix it.

Update: I talked to the support team and they confirmed that it’s a software problem and an update is in the making. It should be released soon. It may be possible that the sd-cards suffer permanent damage (I can hardly imagine that) and they advise to remove the card until the update is released.
Userlevel 1
Nice to hear that, what does that mean? That we would just have to update, or we will have to send phone to servis?
Userlevel 2
Hello, I bought my Mate 20 lite in Slovenia, one week ago. It seems to have the same problems as one described above. I tried 3 brand new SD cards, 64GB Sandisk, 32GB Sandisk and 16GB Samsung. Also tried to hard reset phone, formating the SD card, and everything.
It seems nothing can fix the problem, the notification ''SD card is demaged, try to formate it'', still apears.
Two of the people I know also have the same problem.
I now have phone on the service. Hope they fix it.

Please let us know what the problem is when is comming from service.