Answered

Mate 20 lite - All SD cards appear as damaged

• 30 October 2018
  • 199 replies

Show first post

199 replies

I've have had problems with my honor 7 and now mate 20 lite. Phone is saying sd card is damaged. And this is second Kingston sd card with this same problem. Both phones are from Finland.
Userlevel 1
I am facing the same problem here in Slovenia. I send the phone to the service several times. At first they change the main board but the error was still there. Then I send the device back two times more and they argued that the is no error of the SD card. When I get a phone back the error was still there. Finally they give me a new Mate 20 lite anyway (because of the good business association as they said). And this new phone has the same problem with the SD card. I call the service and now they finally admit that there is a program mistake. They arrange me an update to the SNE LX 1 8.2.0. 138(C432) version, but the error of the SD card is still there. I am very angry! I just don't know what to do!
Userlevel 2
Badge

@Ben92 this is exactly what other users have shared; they sent the phone back and got another defective unit, or a repaired-but-still-with-issues phone.

@Amy could you give us a hand here with the amount of people needed to get a official huawei statement/refund/recall event?

as of now we have 7.400 views by the way.
Do we know if this is only for the Huawei Mate 20 Lite or does it affect other Huawei phone models as well? My Mate 10 lite did not have any SD card issues whatsover.

For now, this should only be the case for this product, and your Mate 10 lite is fine.
Userlevel 1
I had the same problems that complained ... I tried various sd cards of various brands and capacities (sandisk, samsung) the only one that does not seem to give me problems is that of kingston, I do not know why, but does not create problems. I tested a 4 GB GB for 7 days, then a 16GB for 1 day and a 64GB SD for 15 days and no problems. Here is my experience. Although I believe it is not a normal thing to make a single type of card work. Hoping for a software update soon. Never again Huawei.
Today is January 9, 2019. I have the same problem with the micro SD card on Huawei Mate 20 Lite that I got on Christmas day 2018. I would give out the information of my micro SD card, but it is being formatted on my computer right now. It is a SanDisk 64 GB... what class?... I will type them out as soon as the info is available. Oh Huawei,.... great lenses, but this micro SD card problem is epidemic.
Userlevel 4
I am now seeking at a refund or least partial compensation for this defective phone.

The retailer that i bought it from says that I should contact Huawei, and Huawei refers me to the retailer.

Got a reply from Huawei.

And @Amy the community manager just stopped answering in this thread. :/
we have 8600+ views as of now, with confirmed reports form Poland, greece, germany, italy one can only infer that there are at least hundreds of customers out there with this same problem.

------

CXXXX, MXXXX (Huawei Support)
Hello XXXXXXX

thank you for the request.
That is a big pity that you got destroyed two new memory cards by the Mate 20 Lite.

Please do not keep trying to contact this number. You will not reach somebody.
If you want to withdraw from the sales contract, then I ask you to take up contact with your dealer, since we are not your contracting party. If you want to let it replace you have also to contact your retailer.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact us again.
--------

That's appalling customer service and there is simply no excuse for it. If these phones have defective SD readers, that needs to be acknowledged and a replacement for a new (note: not refurbished unit) unit needs to be issued for affected devices. If it's a software issue, an apology and ETA for a fix would be suitable. Consumer retention matters to most companies...

I stopped posting here as it's useless. If you want Huawei's attention, make noise on Twitter, Reddit, and Facebook - they will care about the negative publicity on those platforms.

Huawei, I've just re-read this entire thread and your approach really isn't acceptable for the world's second largest phone manufacturer.

PS: I've still not seen this problem on my Mate 20 Lite, but I rarely use it and have moved to a Note 9. I have tested various cards.
Userlevel 4
I just got a status update from Huawei Service here in Germany where I sent my Mate 20 Lite for repair.
"The error is not reproducible for them. I may check the SD-card for defects at my dealer and reformat the card insider the device..."

Of course I reformatted the Card (Samsung 128 GB) inside the Phone several times. And the same card now works flawlessly inside an old Samsung S4 since 2 weeks!

So I will get a defective device back without any fix! Great news, This is awesome 😡
Userlevel 2
This sucks so bad!
If they only could give a reliable statement what's wrong but every Huawei employee including Amy and Max seem to tell something different.
I feel they are making fools out of us. Very annoying.
Userlevel 2
Hey guys, why don't we all just post this on Twitter, Reddit or Facebook, as suggested? It is obvious that no one is hearing our complaints in this forum. This is a joke and it is becoming a vicious circle. There is a serious issue with the Mate 20 Lite on all markets globally and Huawei doesn't want to admit it. This way more people will fall victim to this. So let's all change the way we approach this and stop wasting our time on this forum. I wish you all a faster resolution. My Mate 20 is already sold and I am not using the brand anymore.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi, guys, as far as I know, huawei has known about this problem, and there should be a version update to solve this problem later.
Userlevel 4
Hi, guys, as far as I know, huawei has known about this problem, and there should be a version update to solve this problem later.

Has it been confirmed to be a software issue? Where did you hear about this?
Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, guys, as far as I know, huawei has known about this problem, and there should be a version update to solve this problem later.Has it been confirmed to be a software issue? Where did you hear about this?

The specific cause of the problem is not very clear. I have seen some users' feedback about this problem in China before. They said that huawei is solving this problem, and the result is expected soon.
Userlevel 4

Hi, guys, as far as I know, huawei has known about this problem, and there should be a version update to solve this problem later.Has it been confirmed to be a software issue? Where did you hear about this?
The specific cause of the problem is not very clear. I have seen some users' feedback about this problem in China before. They said that huawei is solving this problem, and the result is expected soon.

Whilst it's good that you are reporting a rumour, there is no confirmation from the support staff on this forum. I've seen two replies from support staff claiming it's a software issue, not a software issue, a hardware issue, and that refurbished units are returned to consumers. Why is that considered acceptable? Providing a refurbished unit within three months of initial purchase violates one consumer protection law in the United Kingdom.

• This issue was first reported here two months a go.
  • Huawei is the world's second largest manufacturer of mobile phones.
  • It appears quality control and testing procedures need to be overhauled.
  • Support from staff members has not been acceptable for such a large company.
I've seen better support from small Chinese companies few people have heard of it and I've personally tested over 1,000 phones from various companies. All Huawei needs to do is acknowledge the issue, apologise, and offer an estimated fix date as well as a gesture, such as a voucher for a memory card for affected users. It's very simple and restores consumer confidence. It's really not anywhere near acceptable. I own six Huawei phones and only use one, rarely, because of many issues with EMUI and hardware build quality.
Userlevel 1
Hello everyone,
Unfortunately, I do not provide a solution but just to point out the same problem on my new p20 lite bought in Belgium. test with different card and always the error.
More than disappointed Huawei.
I will be reimbursed and go back to Samsung.
Userlevel 4
My "unrepaired" Phone is on it's was back home. So I called the German Huawei Service yesterday, once again. A lot of apologies and understanding and once again the information:

"Our development team did work hard on a software fix and has found the cause. An update to fix the problem has been rolled out, so that all involved customers can use their phones without restrictions..."

Not clear if the rollout is in progress or is already completed. No infos on exact firmware version...
Well, not much info at all. Will wait for the next update, test again and off it goes again... I will not live with this defect!
Userlevel 2
Mate 10 lite

Userlevel 2
I have the same issue, trying to add files to a 256gb card. Formatted via phone and then by pc.

Cheers

Jeff
Same problem. Two SD cards rejected. Started after only a week. Not impressed.
Hi all.
Today my brand new Mate 20 lite after two weeks of use went to service.
On the begining i used my Kingston 128 GB, phone said that card is broken, so I bought brand new Samsung 128GB - it was the same, information that card is bad was many times a day, no matter what I did.
I formatted it many times and left empty in phone.
On Friday phone said that card is broken, but now I cannot format it in phone and not in computer. Card is dead. - WTF ?

Waiting for answer from service

Poland, T-Mobile

After 3 days in service, I received my M20Lite back.
They replaced the mainboard.
It was 4 days ago, still working on the card that was rejected by the phone as first.
I hope this is the end of the problems

Good luck
Userlevel 1
Bonjour,
Après avoir échangé des messages avec Huawei, il sera disponible d'ici la fin du mois. (plus que d'attendre)

ils ont également confirmé le passage à Android 9
Userlevel 3
Bonjour,
Après avoir échangé des messages avec Huawei, il sera disponible d'ici la fin du mois. (plus que d'attendre)

Bien compris, Lauren! Nous serions heureux de connaître les résultats! Bonne Chance!
Userlevel 1

Bonjour,

Bien compris, Lauren! Nous serions heureux de connaître les résultats! Bonne Chance!

Thanks
I am also looking forward to it.
I will come back.
Userlevel 2
Would getting a Huawei NM card be the way to go, to sort out the extra storage??

Jeff
Userlevel 2
Would getting a Huawei NM card be the way to go, to sort out the extra storage??

Jeff

I thought of this. Is funny but could be real.
Userlevel 1
Hello! I would like to know which program version you have on your phones. I was updated to the version SNE LX 1 8.2.0. 138(C432). On Huawei here in Slovenia they traying to convince me that this version fix the problem with SD card, but in my case it is not thrue.