Answered

Mate 20 lite - All SD cards appear as damaged



Show first post

175 replies

Hi Kat
I have done all of the above and only yesterday did the phone report another error with the card. I for one and others can't keep forking out for memory cards and Huawei should provide the affected people with free Huawei nano memory cards as temporary compensation and or replacement if the phone reports error. This is my 1st time with a Huawei phone and I'm losing confidence with the brand.
I contacted support through chat over Christmas and tried the steps in the chat transcript

Chat Transcript

  1. 15:44:39 - Server said : Please wait. An operator will be with you shortly.
  2. 15:44:51 - Eddy said : Hello christopher Carr. Thank you for contacting Huawei UK & Ireland. My name is Eddy . How can I help you?
  3. 15:47:26 - christopher Carr said : hi Eddy merry christmas. I have a new mate 20 lite a month old from Sky mobile. popped in my 3 yr old micro sd card and after a month came up with a card error. So i thought its 3 yrs old its failing so got a new samsung evo class 10 and it came up with an error once asking to format the card. Googling i see theres been several issues
  4. 15:48:51 - Eddy said : There's an issue with the SD card?
  5. 15:49:55 - christopher Carr said : no its brand new and a genuine card. My old card had no issues before
  6. 15:50:04 - Eddy said : Oh, I apologise. I understood what the issue is now.
  7. 15:50:36 - christopher Carr said : its happened twice once with my old card and once with my new card
  8. 15:50:54 - Eddy said : Please try to wipe the cache partition of the device and also try a network settings reset. To reset the network settings, please go into Settings > in the search bar, please type in 'network settings reset' and follow the highlighted text until it gives you an option to reset the SIM card.
  9. 15:51:24 - Eddy said : To wipe the cache partition, you must power off the device. After the device goes off, hold the volume up key + power button key at the same time. This will take you to the recovery menu mode, where you must select 'wipe cache partition'
  10. 15:51:57 - christopher Carr said : ok all well and good but have a look here https://uk.community.huawei.com/mate-20-series-20/mate-20-lite-all-sd-cards-appear-as-damaged-680
  11. 15:53:44 - Eddy said : The troubleshooting would be required, in case we can avoid the service centre.
  12. 15:54:18 - christopher Carr said : seems to be a well documented issue
  13. 15:55:47 - Eddy said : I see, but please try the troubleshooting steps provided earlier.
  14. 15:55:48 - christopher Carr said : i dont want to be forking out for sd cards as the phone is damaging them as well as losing data
  15. 15:56:24 - Eddy said : I'm sorry about the incovenience. I can book the device in if you'd like me to.
  16. 15:56:56 - christopher Carr said : how long does it take to turn around out with holidays normally
  17. 15:58:21 - Eddy said : With the holidays it could take longer, indeed. I believe it's best if you could contact us after the holidays.
  18. 15:58:51 - christopher Carr said : thats what i was asking whats the turnaround in normal time
  19. 15:59:15 - Eddy said : The total turn-around time is 8-10 days, but this may vary according to the necessary spare parts or
  20. logistics.
  21. 16:00:06 - christopher Carr said : ok I will try the steps above
Userlevel 2
Hey Kat. Thank you for your swift, shall we say, reply 🙂 If you actually read most of the responses here you are aware that nothing which you suggest actually works. My phone is already sold, but I thank you for the courtesy
Userlevel 1
Kat wrote:

Hi @jimbox99, @Gutterfox, @ZooMzOOm, @Eloidar, @Mariana , @Flo9 , @stasas , @DanKnott, @LouisJean, @DUNGEONZ, @Katschunga, @Ben92, @ccarr32051, @Cookie




This issue has been reported to our other departments. Yes, there will be a software update in the near future that will optimize this issue, but by the time it happens..

..please check the following recommendations from our Support and other Community members:

If you have tried those steps but it does not really help, it's recommended to ask Huawei service center for help. Let us know if any of those solutions helped.

Kat


Hey @Kat,

After three months waiting, two faulty phones and a tone of Xmas photos that disappeared your answer with these suggestions sounds like a joke. It is obvious that Huawei is either unable to understand the issue or tries to buy time.Should we wait for a new update or should we take our phones to the service?
I sincerely question whether some of the Huawei reps work for Huawei or Samsung /apple/ htc ....
We, consumers, are not Huawei beta testers. We bought some new devices and we expected them to work as promised. I do not see any reason to bring a new device for repair. Samsung once recalled all its faulty devices (the faulty battery case if I remember).
Why don’t you do the same and provide us with functional phones?
It is time to show some respect to your customers.

Eloidar
Userlevel 4
Eloidar wrote:


Kat wrote:

This issue has been reported to our other departments. Yes, there will be a software update in the near future that will optimize this issue, but by the time it happens..

..please check the following recommendations from our Support and other Community members:

If you have tried those steps but it does not really help, it's recommended to ask Huawei service center for help. Let us know if any of those solutions helped.

Kat

Hey @Kat,

After three months waiting, two faulty phones and a tone of Xmas photos that disappeared your answer with these suggestions sounds like a joke. It is obvious that Huawei is either unable to understand the issue or tries to buy time.Should we wait for a new update or should we take our phones to the service?
I sincerely question whether some of the Huawei reps work for Huawei or Samsung /apple/ htc ....
We, consumers, are not Huawei beta testers. We bought some new devices and we expected them to work as promised. I do not see any reason to bring a new device for repair. Samsung once recalled all its faulty devices (the faulty battery case if I remember).
Why don’t you do the same and provide us with functional phones?
It is time to show some respect to your customers.

Eloidar



A recall would be wise if it's not software related as they've now claimed three times, but that doesn't explain the two devices I own where I've filled up memory cards (some old, some new) with music and other content and not experienced error notices.

One thing I've very curious about for the people seeing this problem: Do you use the cards as an extension of the internal memory - e.g. do you save photos directly to the microSD card instead of the internal storage?

A question for Huawei: Do you not realise that the service you're offering, whether due to company policy or otherwise, comes across as worse than buying the cheapest of cheap ODM products made from refurbished parts in China? It's incredibly disappointing to see 😢 for (I'll write it again) the world's second largest manufacturer of mobile phones and one of the world's largest suppliers of corporate and cellular communications infrastructure.
Userlevel 1
Piers wrote:


Eloidar wrote:


Kat wrote:

This issue has been reported to our other departments. Yes, there will be a software update in the near future that will optimize this issue, but by the time it happens..

..please check the following recommendations from our Support and other Community members:

If you have tried those steps but it does not really help, it's recommended to ask Huawei service center for help. Let us know if any of those solutions helped.

Kat

Hey @Kat,

After three months waiting, two faulty phones and a tone of Xmas photos that disappeared your answer with these suggestions sounds like a joke. It is obvious that Huawei is either unable to understand the issue or tries to buy time.Should we wait for a new update or should we take our phones to the service?
I sincerely question whether some of the Huawei reps work for Huawei or Samsung /apple/ htc ....
We, consumers, are not Huawei beta testers. We bought some new devices and we expected them to work as promised. I do not see any reason to bring a new device for repair. Samsung once recalled all its faulty devices (the faulty battery case if I remember).
Why don’t you do the same and provide us with functional phones?
It is time to show some respect to your customers.

Eloidar

A recall would be wise if it's not software related as they've now claimed three times, but that doesn't explain the two devices I own where I've filled up memory cards (some old, some new) with music and other content and not experienced error notices.

One thing I've very curious about for the people seeing this problem: Do you use the cards as an extension of the internal memory - e.g. do you save photos directly to the microSD card instead of the internal storage?

A question for Huawei: Do you not realise that the service you're offering, whether due to company policy or otherwise, comes across as worse than buying the cheapest of cheap ODM products made from refurbished parts in China? It's incredibly disappointing to see 😢 for (I'll write it again) the world's second largest manufacturer of mobile phones and one of the world's largest suppliers of corporate and cellular communications infrastructure.



Hello,
personally that the card serves as main storage or simply insert in the p20 the error appears. with cards 32 and 64 in Sandisk and Kingston.
Userlevel 4
Laurentsteut wrote:


Piers wrote:


Eloidar wrote:


Kat wrote:

This issue has been reported to our other departments. Yes, there will be a software update in the near future that will optimize this issue, but by the time it happens..

..please check the following recommendations from our Support and other Community members:

If you have tried those steps but it does not really help, it's recommended to ask Huawei service center for help. Let us know if any of those solutions helped.

Kat

Hey @Kat,

After three months waiting, two faulty phones and a tone of Xmas photos that disappeared your answer with these suggestions sounds like a joke. It is obvious that Huawei is either unable to understand the issue or tries to buy time.Should we wait for a new update or should we take our phones to the service?
I sincerely question whether some of the Huawei reps work for Huawei or Samsung /apple/ htc ....
We, consumers, are not Huawei beta testers. We bought some new devices and we expected them to work as promised. I do not see any reason to bring a new device for repair. Samsung once recalled all its faulty devices (the faulty battery case if I remember).
Why don’t you do the same and provide us with functional phones?
It is time to show some respect to your customers.

Eloidar

A recall would be wise if it's not software related as they've now claimed three times, but that doesn't explain the two devices I own where I've filled up memory cards (some old, some new) with music and other content and not experienced error notices.

One thing I've very curious about for the people seeing this problem: Do you use the cards as an extension of the internal memory - e.g. do you save photos directly to the microSD card instead of the internal storage?

A question for Huawei: Do you not realise that the service you're offering, whether due to company policy or otherwise, comes across as worse than buying the cheapest of cheap ODM products made from refurbished parts in China? It's incredibly disappointing to see 😢 for (I'll write it again) the world's second largest manufacturer of mobile phones and one of the world's largest suppliers of corporate and cellular communications infrastructure.

Hello,
personally that the card serves as main storage or simply insert in the p20 the error appears. with cards 32 and 64 in Sandisk and Kingston.


So you don't just use it for media, but use it for app data and as an extension of your internal nand?
Userlevel 1
Piers wrote:


Laurentsteut wrote:


Piers wrote:


Eloidar wrote:


Kat wrote:

This issue has been reported to our other departments. Yes, there will be a software update in the near future that will optimize this issue, but by the time it happens..

..please check the following recommendations from our Support and other Community members:

If you have tried those steps but it does not really help, it's recommended to ask Huawei service center for help. Let us know if any of those solutions helped.

Kat

Hey @Kat,

After three months waiting, two faulty phones and a tone of Xmas photos that disappeared your answer with these suggestions sounds like a joke. It is obvious that Huawei is either unable to understand the issue or tries to buy time.Should we wait for a new update or should we take our phones to the service?
I sincerely question whether some of the Huawei reps work for Huawei or Samsung /apple/ htc ....
We, consumers, are not Huawei beta testers. We bought some new devices and we expected them to work as promised. I do not see any reason to bring a new device for repair. Samsung once recalled all its faulty devices (the faulty battery case if I remember).
Why don’t you do the same and provide us with functional phones?
It is time to show some respect to your customers.

Eloidar

A recall would be wise if it's not software related as they've now claimed three times, but that doesn't explain the two devices I own where I've filled up memory cards (some old, some new) with music and other content and not experienced error notices.

One thing I've very curious about for the people seeing this problem: Do you use the cards as an extension of the internal memory - e.g. do you save photos directly to the microSD card instead of the internal storage?

A question for Huawei: Do you not realise that the service you're offering, whether due to company policy or otherwise, comes across as worse than buying the cheapest of cheap ODM products made from refurbished parts in China? It's incredibly disappointing to see 😢 for (I'll write it again) the world's second largest manufacturer of mobile phones and one of the world's largest suppliers of corporate and cellular communications infrastructure.

Hello,
personally that the card serves as main storage or simply insert in the p20 the error appears. with cards 32 and 64 in Sandisk and Kingston.

So you don't just use it for media, but use it for app data and as an extension of your internal nand?



Hello,
I have tried both possibilities and I have the error every time.
After a week of exchange of mail with the service after sale here is their answer:

Dear Mr.

Thank you for the return email and the information provided.

Further in your situation, we thank you for waiting for a corrective update for the problems of the SD cards, as for the radio application, we advise you to install a radio application via the play store

Thank you for your understanding, we wish you a good day.
Userlevel 4
Laurentsteut wrote:


Piers wrote:


Laurentsteut wrote:


Piers wrote:


Eloidar wrote:


Kat wrote:

This issue has been reported to our other departments. Yes, there will be a software update in the near future that will optimize this issue, but by the time it happens..

..please check the following recommendations from our Support and other Community members:

If you have tried those steps but it does not really help, it's recommended to ask Huawei service center for help. Let us know if any of those solutions helped.

Kat

Hey @Kat,

After three months waiting, two faulty phones and a tone of Xmas photos that disappeared your answer with these suggestions sounds like a joke. It is obvious that Huawei is either unable to understand the issue or tries to buy time.Should we wait for a new update or should we take our phones to the service?
I sincerely question whether some of the Huawei reps work for Huawei or Samsung /apple/ htc ....
We, consumers, are not Huawei beta testers. We bought some new devices and we expected them to work as promised. I do not see any reason to bring a new device for repair. Samsung once recalled all its faulty devices (the faulty battery case if I remember).
Why don’t you do the same and provide us with functional phones?
It is time to show some respect to your customers.

Eloidar

A recall would be wise if it's not software related as they've now claimed three times, but that doesn't explain the two devices I own where I've filled up memory cards (some old, some new) with music and other content and not experienced error notices.

One thing I've very curious about for the people seeing this problem: Do you use the cards as an extension of the internal memory - e.g. do you save photos directly to the microSD card instead of the internal storage?

A question for Huawei: Do you not realise that the service you're offering, whether due to company policy or otherwise, comes across as worse than buying the cheapest of cheap ODM products made from refurbished parts in China? It's incredibly disappointing to see 😢 for (I'll write it again) the world's second largest manufacturer of mobile phones and one of the world's largest suppliers of corporate and cellular communications infrastructure.

Hello,
personally that the card serves as main storage or simply insert in the p20 the error appears. with cards 32 and 64 in Sandisk and Kingston.

So you don't just use it for media, but use it for app data and as an extension of your internal nand?

Hello,
I have tried both possibilities and I have the error every time.
After a week of exchange of mail with the service after sale here is their answer:

Dear Mr.

Thank you for the return email and the information provided.

Further in your situation, we thank you for waiting for a corrective update for the problems of the SD cards, as for the radio application, we advise you to install a radio application via the play store

Thank you for your understanding, we wish you a good day.



Did they not provide an ETA for a fix to a device-breaking feature? That's atrocious 👎
Userlevel 1
Here in Slovenia my service provider comfirm that the version SNE LX 1 8.2.0. 138(C432) did not solve the problem. After that Huawei provide a new update to the version SNE LX 1 8.2.0. 140(C432). My phone is still on service. They will test this version. I am waiting for results.
Userlevel 2
I give up. I removed my MicroSd card and replaced with a SIM card. That's working fine.
Userlevel 4
Mariana wrote:

I give up. I removed my MicroSd card and replaced with a SIM card. That's working fine.



It's good that the additional SIM feature is working, but you shouldn't have to do that - Huawei should be offering a fix, or at least an explanation, after two months of user reports to go by. Requesting a faulty device from a user (and replacing it with a new one) to see the issue in action would have been the first thing that should've been done.
I'm from Portugal and start to have this issue. My sd card it's a 64gb SanDisk ultra xc classe 10 and the software compilation is 8.2.0.131(c33). The phone have only 4 day's use and for 3 times lost contact with sd card, losing phone ring tones and was unable to reading photos... Etc... Restart solved the problem. But after this 3 times the system tell me that the sd card was damage and need to format. I transfer every sd data to Windows, formated sd with phone software, and replaced every data to sd card again. After that i'm waiting for problems to repeat to get to ask a refund or change to other brand. 😞
Userlevel 1
Poor response from Huawei, in my opinion. They know about this issue but have done sweet FA about it.
Brilliant. I bought my Mate 20 lite yesterday. Took the SD card out of my p8 lite, put it in the Mate 20 lite and two hours later I got my first SD warning.
Today I got my second warning.

It doesn't say that the SD card is corrupt. Instead it says:

Matige lees-/schrijfprestaties van SD-kaart
Maak een back-up van uw gegevens en vervang u...

Translated from Dutch into English:

Read and write capabilities of the SD card are below average.
Create a back-up of your data and replace you...

That's all I could see.

Is this really a warning that my SD card is getting old (it is possible, it is almost 2 years old and has seen a lot of use) or is this related to the corruption warning others had and just poorly translated into Dutch?

Additional question. What brand of SD card does Huawei advises?

General information:

I use my card to store my photos, books, music and one data file that contains my passwords that is being used by a password app.
Not to install apps.

My phone is running SNE-LX1 8.2.0.140(C432)


Userlevel 4
@Martin_1: Welcome to our club 😉

Forget about any "Huawei SD-card recommendation". There is no! Testet 3 brands! I've seen different kind of error messages... It all ended with lost files/directories on the card and a corrupt file structure. I would recommend not saving any photos / important data on the SD card at the moment, wait for the next real firmware update (whenever this will happen... not those google patches) and send back the device if the error persists (which i'm rather sure of...)
Sending it back is not an option. Who knows how long it will be gone and I can't do without my phone for work.

I will buy a new SD card (I wanted a larger one anyway) and see where it leads me. If it also gives an arror the phone goes back and I'll buy another brand.

It would be a shame because I really like Huawei and also have (besides my previous P8 lite) their Mediapad M5 10.8 tablet.

Strange thing is that the tablet also has the same SD card in it that is as old (I bought the tablet a few months ago to replace my Samsung) and it doesn't give this error.

Reading through all the posts here it doesn't seem to be a software issue but more of a hardware issue. That is also not easily fixed I saw.
Userlevel 1
I strongly advise you to save yourself from the frustration and return the phone before you get to attached. Get a different model/brand instead.
Userlevel 4
Android Pie Beta 9.0.1.150 for Mate 20 Lite has been released here in Germany (for 200 Betatesters). Will test and report...
Userlevel 4
Martin_1 wrote:

Brilliant. I bought my Mate 20 lite yesterday. Took the SD card out of my p8 lite, put it in the Mate 20 lite and two hours later I got my first SD warning.
Today I got my second warning.

It doesn't say that the SD card is corrupt. Instead it says:

Matige lees-/schrijfprestaties van SD-kaart
Maak een back-up van uw gegevens en vervang u...

Translated from Dutch into English:

Read and write capabilities of the SD card are below average.
Create a back-up of your data and replace you...

That's all I could see.

Is this really a warning that my SD card is getting old (it is possible, it is almost 2 years old and has seen a lot of use) or is this related to the corruption warning others had and just poorly translated into Dutch?

Additional question. What brand of SD card does Huawei advises?

General information:

I use my card to store my photos, books, music and one data file that contains my passwords that is being used by a password app.
Not to install apps.

My phone is running SNE-LX1 8.2.0.140(C432)




You can ignore that message. It merely means that the microSD you are using is not very fast. It's actually a helpful, if not confusing, message. It does not indicate any form of corruption.

I have now tested numerous cards - different speeds, brands, sizes - and found no issue on both handsets. I've found Kingston 'HyperX' cards to be the most compatible.
Userlevel 4
Katschunga wrote:

I strongly advise you to save yourself from the frustration and return the phone before you get to attached. Get a different model/brand instead.



I agree. Over two months and seven pages of reports with no suitable reply or explanation from Huawei. That's not acceptable and it's not worth your time to wait for a refurbished unit to be sent. If you have the option of returning your Huawei phone and using another brand, do it.
Hello,
Shorty after the ANE-LX1 8.0.0.170 update (had it 2 days ago), I've gotten the "SD card is damaged, please replace" notification this morning. My phone, a Huawei P20 Lite bought last year in June, was left untouched, turned on for the night. It is a 128 GB Kingston SD card of which 62 GB was used for mainly photos and videos, bought at the same time as the phone. Due to my own thought that something like this would never happen, I didn't back up any of it on my laptop because my laptop would freeze and I found it a hassle, unfortunately. I will be anticipating updates and good news, I won't give up on this phone just yet . We'll wait and see
Userlevel 4
mizupon wrote:

Hello,
Shorty after the ANE-LX1 8.0.0.170 update (had it 2 days ago), I've gotten the "SD card is damaged, please replace" notification this morning. My phone, a Huawei P20 Lite bought last year in June, was left untouched, turned on for the night. It is a 128 GB Kingston SD card of which 62 GB was used for mainly photos and videos, bought at the same time as the phone. Due to my own thought that something like this would never happen, I didn't back up any of it on my laptop because my laptop would freeze and I found it a hassle, unfortunately. I will be anticipating updates and good news, I won't give up on this phone just yet . We'll wait and see



I strongly advise that you take the microSD card out of the phone and create a backup of the data. If the phone is corrupting data, leaving it in the phone is unwise.
Piers wrote:


Martin_1 wrote:


Read and write capabilities of the SD card are below average.
Create a back-up of your data and replace you...

You can ignore that message. It merely means that the microSD you are using is not very fast. It's actually a helpful, if not confusing, message. It does not indicate any form of corruption.

I have now tested numerous cards - different speeds, brands, sizes - and found no issue on both handsets. I've found Kingston 'HyperX' cards to be the most compatible.



Bit the SD card is a Samsung EVO XC1 Class 10 card. How can that be to slow? It's an older card so maybe the new Samsungs EVO's are faster. But I can't imagine that to be honest.
Userlevel 4
Tested the Beta 9.0.1.150... and what's your guess, aye?

Yes: Same SD-card error reproduced within 12 Hours! Photos disappear, Card error messages, etc.

THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE FIX FOR DEFECT SD CARD READER IN THE MATE 20 LITE!!!

I guess Huawei will have to deal with recycling a lot returned Mate 20 Lite models in the near future..
Mine will be going back to service for the second time.

I'm curious, at what point the hardware defect of the Mate 20 Lite will be acknowledged by Huawei, finally?
Userlevel 1
Thats the feckin 64,000 dollar question. I thought Nokia were bad with their Nokia 8.

Reply

    Cookie policy

    By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

    Accept cookies Cookie settings