Answered

Mate 20 lite - All SD cards appear as damaged

• 30 October 2018
  • 199 replies

Show first post

199 replies

Userlevel 4

Read and write capabilities of the SD card are below average.
Create a back-up of your data and replace you...

You can ignore that message. It merely means that the microSD you are using is not very fast. It's actually a helpful, if not confusing, message. It does not indicate any form of corruption.

I have now tested numerous cards - different speeds, brands, sizes - and found no issue on both handsets. I've found Kingston 'HyperX' cards to be the most compatible.
Bit the SD card is a Samsung EVO XC1 Class 10 card. How can that be to slow? It's an older card so maybe the new Samsungs EVO's are faster. But I can't imagine that to be honest.

I believe Huawei uses the SD card's reported embedded data to form that message. There should be nothing wrong with that class of mircoSD card at all - I've tested using slower cards and not seen that message. I now have a 128GB Kingston card with 70GB of music and video.

Given that many of the people reporting this have the same software as I do and that Huawei has been incredibly quiet, it's only reasonable to conclude that either Huawei's software team is incompetent, or that there is a hardware fault with some batches of the Mate 20 that Huawei doesn't want to recognise.

If it's the latter, Huawei could make it right by recognising the issue and offering to replace the faulty device with a new replacement model.
Userlevel 4
Well, I will do Huawei's job now, with a statement that's not official but should be:

"To all frustrated Mate 20 Lite users out there: If you want/need a working SD-card reader in your phone, please send your device to your Huawei service for a motherboard replacement as there is no software fix to the fault"

After more than 4 months the Huawei service division seems to have acknowledged the problem as a hardware failure and by now there is a fixed motherboard revision available.

There are already some reports from users on the german forum, that got a MB-replacement at a service point. The error didn't occur afterwards! My device is for service the second time at the moment...

So we can stop the endless discussion here about different SD card models, classes and formats as it's plain useless and a waste of time.

Thank you Huawei...
Well, I will do Huawei's job now, with a statement that's not official but should be:

"To all frustrated Mate 20 Lite users out there: If you want/need a working SD-card reader in your phone, please send your device to your Huawei service for a motherboard replacement as there is no software fix to the fault"

After more than 4 months the Huawei service division seems to have acknowledged the problem as a hardware failure and by now there is a fixed motherboard revision available.

There are already some reports from users on the german forum, that got a MB-replacement at a service point. The error didn't occur afterwards! My device is for service the second time at the moment...

So we can stop the endless discussion here about different SD card models, classes and formats as it's plain useless and a waste of time.

Thank you Huawei...

Hi
Can I just ask when you put you device in for service - do you get your own phone back or was it a refurb unit. I have held off sending mine back in case its a refurb they return
Userlevel 4
Got my device back today. New motherboard, not refurbished. No SD card error after a few hours... Will keep on testing....
Userlevel 3
as we hit 20.000 views, the software patches are still just a way of huawei to further disrespect users by raising false expectations.

@sskopnik you can be a Huawei spokesperson now. accurate summary!

If you have sent the phone for service, could you please confirm if
a) you got a refurbished phone, a new one or "your same one"
b) if the problem has been resolved for you or if it reappeared after receiving from service.

in my case: 2 phones, updated to 8.2.0.140 C432
SD error message shows up at intervals of 2 to 48 hours, dismissing message sometimes allows contents to be read, other times all media in Sd card disapperars and a reboot is needed.
Userlevel 4
Okay, here's a short status update:
I'm on my 6th day with my Mate 20 Lite and a new motherboard. Of course I got new IMEI/Serial Nr. but I'm pretty sure I got the same device, no refurbished one. My software version is 8.2.0.142.

I got NO errors since 6 days: Camera writes to SD without any errors/warnings. Google photo synchronizes correct, no loosing photos, no SD-card damaged error. No reboot necessary. Before I was able to reproduce within 2 days.
Well, I would say my SD card errors have gone... but on the german forum there is a report from an Austrian user that got his devices mainboard replaced on a Huawei service point in Vienna and the error occurred after 1 week!

So I'm still a bit carefully! Will keep on testing, but I'm pretty hopeful... and yes it is a hardware defect to my opinion!
Hi from Portugal!

After having this issue on my mate 20 lite, i started to search for information until i found this thread.

I started having error´s saving taken photos to SD Card ereryday and many times a day and was noticing that sometimes photos would be corrupted or dissapeared from the gallery until i rebooted the phone.

The card is an Kingston 32Gb Class 10, and is new, tested on the computer with an USB adapter and it´s fine, could read and write fine.

Ready to take the phone to my nearest service center, i dismounted the SIM card and SDCard tray, cleaned the card ( i think that was not necessary, i din´t touch the contacts and the card was new, but i did it anyway ), and i noticed that the card was a little ( you have to look closely really ) misaligned, i pressed it down to seat it properly on the tray till it made like a "click". Then i mounted the tray back on the phone, and to my surprise i am already at the 3rd consequitive day without error´s and corruption, i am taking some "fake" photos at random, then try to delete them, i am trying to replicate the pattern that before was problematic.

Well, it´s not time enough to see if it is fixed, but, it´s something.

I am not saying that this could fix everybody´s phone, but, it MIGHT be the cause of a few...i till try to update as the test´s go on.
thanks Juan. i've fomatted using my PC in NTFS format 3 days ago. it works very well till now

Hi all.
Today my brand new Mate 20 lite after two weeks of use went to service.
On the begining i used my Kingston 128 GB, phone said that card is broken, so I bought brand new Samsung 128GB - it was the same, information that card is bad was many times a day, no matter what I did.
I formatted it many times and left empty in phone.
On Friday phone said that card is broken, but now I cannot format it in phone and not in computer. Card is dead. - WTF ?

Waiting for answer from service

Poland, T-Mobile
After 3 days in service, I received my M20Lite back.
They replaced the mainboard.
It was 4 days ago, still working on the card that was rejected by the phone as first.
I hope this is the end of the problems

Good luck

It was working properly no more than 5 days.
After that all problems appeared again
When in camera I set writing priority to phone memory, information about card fault I see only once a week - but this is not a good solution.
Hope that service will replace my mainboard once again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

If you are still experiencing the same issues with your device, could you kindly PM me in private with the following:
  • Serial Number
  • Current Build Number
  • The SD Card type, speed, class, size and how has it been formatted.
With the information provided I will be able to push an escalation further to our developers.

Best wishes,
Max
Hi all,

If you are still experiencing the same issues with your device, could you kindly PM me in private with the following:
  • Serial Number
  • Current Build Number
  • The SD Card type, speed, class, size and how has it been formatted.
With the information provided I will be able to push an escalation further to our developers.

Best wishes,
Max

Max, PM send with all information.

I spoke with local huawei service - they told me that they received information that it is software problem - I don't believe rather ...
Userlevel 2
Bugger, just recently I've noticed I can't save photos to my SD card and I can't move or delete to and from my SD card. It's only happened in the last few days. Not changed anything that I'm aware of. So frustrating.
I am having the same problem. Brand new 256gb SD card. "System UI reformat SD card" I did this and error kept coming back. I returned the phone (just missed the 4 week exchange window due to Christmas busyness) so it was sent off for repair. Phone came back. 2 weeks later the error appears. Phone goes off for repair again. Can't be fixed so given a brand new phone in exchange. TWO DAYS later the error appears.

Have I made a big mistake in switching to Huawei? Is there a fix for this issue?
Userlevel 3
I am having the same problem. Brand new 256gb SD card. "System UI reformat SD card" I did this and error kept coming back. I returned the phone (just missed the 4 week exchange window due to Christmas busyness) so it was sent off for repair. Phone came back. 2 weeks later the error appears. Phone goes off for repair again. Can't be fixed so given a brand new phone in exchange. TWO DAYS later the error appears.

Have I made a big mistake in switching to Huawei? Is there a fix for this issue?

All of us who bought huawei and are having sd cards problems:

Userlevel 2
I had no choice, but to get a Huawei phone, thanks Carphone Warehouse.
Userlevel 2
Could a dual drive usb type-c be used as a storage option??
Hi
Thought I would post an update on my experience. Decided that I would send my device into the UK service centre as my Lite 20 had destroyed 4 genuine brand new class 10 micro sd cards.
I contacted Huawei support who created a repair reference and stated that I would receive a padded envelope with labels to return to their UK Service centre which is actually SBE ltd Ashford,Kent. I had to contact Huawei twice as I had not received their envelope after there promised 3 days. In fact it was over a week.

I had to provide a copy of who my provider was, the IMEI plus also the cost. Thankfully Sky mobile did this in a few hours so I sent off my mobile well padded and in a box which was received on the 12 April.
SBE Ltd have a tracking screen so i input my IMEI and repair reference and nothing. After a few days I emailed them and they confirmed they had received it and were looking at it. For 8 days their tracking system stated "no match found" when i put in my details and was getting worried until yesterday i see the Royal Mail person coming up my drive with a box.

So I have my original phone back as it still has it tempered glass protector on it but the repair was stated as
"Adjustment / Cleaning / Screening"
What is the heck that meant to be- sounds like nothing done to me. So I have another brand new micro sd card in it but the 1st sign of an error its going back and demanding a new phone.
16 days later and same issue again - another micro sd card destroyed. Never buy another huawei ever again. I am £80 out of pockit for memory cards. A complete joke
Userlevel 2
I'm never having a Hauwei phone again, once my contract is up with Carphone Warehouse, I'm going back to Samsung or Sony. Thanks Carphone Warehouse for not giving me a choice.
Well today I posted my phone back in for repair. Will see how long it takes and what happens. Really annoyed for the amount of money all these memory cards have cost me.
Userlevel 2
Mine is a weird problem. I can see everything on my SD card but I can't move or delete or in the case of the camera,use the SD card as storage. It comes up, with something about a path, if I try and move or delete?? I can even open everything that's stored on the SD card, like I say weird.
Well yesterday I received my phone back from the UK Service Centre after having the motherboard replaced. So we will see if thats it sorted although I must admit I am tempted not to use external memory cards. What is most annoying is that the extra expense we have had to incur from buying memory cards that Huawei will not offer a good will gesture for our extra expense. I also had to buy a spare phone to use while mine was away. I must add that the cheap Umidigi A3 pro phone worked flawlessly with no memory card issues and that cost £80 from Amazon. So for all this hassle I got a free Huawei pen in the box when it came back to me - Whoop Whoop.
With all this hassle and with the news that no future Android support for new Huawei phones I can assure that I will never buy a Huawei product ever again. I will not fork out any extra money for SD cards for this phone
Userlevel 2
Could a dual drive usb type-c be used as a storage option??
I have tried this and it works, they don't open AVI files but open MP4s for films. So now I have a 64gb, SD card that seems ok at the moment, touch wood and a 256gb dual drive type-C. So I'm quite happy now.
Romania. Mate 20 lite same problem with The SD CARD error. had the Phone for almost a year now. SNE LX1 9.1.0.229. tried 3 different SD cards. currently i use SanDisk 64 GB. i still get The error almost every week. after restart IT goes away, then after a few days i have The same error. Huawei, you don't deserve your clients!