Mate 20 Lite: Issues & Requests

• 15 November 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
I haven't seen a thread dedicated to issues with the Mate 20 Lite, so hope people can add their issues to this one. I have two Mate 20 Lite phones and another Android 8.0.0 without a notch to compare with.

• Icons: Not enough room for notification icons (due to EMUI and the notch. From what I've seen, applies to all Mate 20 devices)
  • Notification LED: Far too dim - almost useless. An option to increase the brightness would, I believe, be appreciated by all users.
  • Notification LED: The LED supports multiple colours. Adding an option to EMUI to change colours for different applications would be appreciated.
  • Notification LED: The functionality of this is almost entirely removed when using the Smart View Flip Case (discussed more below).
  • Smart View Flip Case: When using this case, the text is blurry and hard to see.
  • Automatic brightness: This doesn't appear to work correctly. It turns the screen brightness down to a point where it's impossible to see the screen in a dark room.
  • GPU Boost: I've read reports that this feature will be rolled out to Mate 20 Lite users, but I can't see a confirmation.
  • Updates: My mobile network (Vodafone) is incredibly slow at releasing any form of update. I have updated both of my phones and only the July security updates are included. One EMUI update was found (a fix to resolve a WIFI issue)
Now the biggest issues I have with both phones: build quality.
  • The USB type C port wobbles/moves up and down when plugged in. This is appalling.
  • The USB type A end of the cable doesn't fit into the charger of one unit. I am charging both phones with one charger. I would RMA the devices but my network only accepts a full return, not individual items. I spent over three hours setting up two-factor on just one phone, so really don't want to wipe the phone back just for a charger.
  • The overall build quality is good, but the USB parts of the phone really let it down. My score goes down to a 5/10 due to this, compared to a 10/10 if the phones did not have this issue.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
And with the latest update (SNE-LX1 8.2.0.131 (C432)), notifications fail to show either as badges or at the top of the screen. I think it's time to return both phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Piers,

If you can please PM me the IMEI and Build Number i will be able to escalate this matter further.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
Hi Piers,

If you can please PM me the IMEI and Build Number i will be able to escalate this matter further.

Best wishes,
Max

Thank you for another reply, Max. Information sent. When you state that this will be "escalate this matter further", does that mean it's taken as feedback and may, or may not, be acted upon, or that it will be registered as an issue and corrected in a future update? The LED one is the most obvious that could be corrected as the controller and LED support RGB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Piers,

It means that after flagging the issue, our team will test and try to reproduce the described situation. Upon noting their findings if any troubleshooting can be addressed via our front line support we will provide it directly. If an update is needed to rectify any noted issues they are added to the update they are working upon.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
Hi Piers,

It means that after flagging the issue, our team will test and try to reproduce the described situation. Upon noting their findings if any troubleshooting can be addressed via our front line support we will provide it directly. If an update is needed to rectify any noted issues they are added to the update they are working upon.

Best wishes,
Max

Thank you for the reply. Many of these can be fixed with software updates, although a few are either hardware-related or network-related.

• Icons: This can be fixed with a software update.
  • Notification LED (all issues): This can certainly be fixed with a software update, including the brightness and colour choices.
  • Smart View Flip Case: Atrociously designed, have returned product and left 1* review
  • Automatic brightness: This can be fixed with a software update.
  • GPU Boost: No information has been released. GPU performance is terrible and GPU Boost would resolve a lot of the issues.
  • Build quality issues: This cannot be resolved by software and is the biggest weak point of the phone.
Hello,

i can really confirm the issues with the notification led brightness ... but only for the black model.
My wife has the gold one and there the notification led is bright enough and good to see. On my black model the brightness is so weak and for my opinion the led is not placed directly under the speaker mesh so it's not fully free to see.
First I thought it is a defect and the shop I bought the device replaced it by a new one. But the new one has the problem too.

It's really annoying because the led is so useful if it's work properly.

Is it possible that it is a construction fault that affects a whole batch?

Kind regards
Mario