Mate 20 Pro - EMUI9 issues, bugs, dislikes, feature requests

• 30 October 2018
  • 197 replies

Userlevel 3
Is there anywhere official to log these?

I suppose just now the main issue/bug for me is that notifications dont really work and just arent useful.

e.g.

• AOD doesnt show any notification icons.
  • Cannot see expanded notifications without unlocking the device.
  • Cannot dismiss notifications without unlocking the device.
  • Cannot interact with notifications on the lockscreen at all whether locked or unlocked (e.g. marking emails as read, pausing/playing/skipping songs using Deezer).
  • Missed calls just dont appear anywhere - you get the icon notification but thats it, gotta open the dialer app and go to missed calls to see who it was.
  • Cannot remove useless icons from the status bar to make room for notification icons.
  • Also when interacting with a notification on the pull down area it takes up to 10 seconds to do what I have said (e.g. Hitting mark as read on an email but this may be an app issue on EMUI?)
These are some of the issues ive found on my Mate 20 Pro (9.0.0.108)

Not wanting to sound too negative - I do love this phone, my only issues are with EMUI9. All of the above worked fine on any of my previous phones so its made the switch to an EMUI device a bit more of a shock lol

197 replies

Userlevel 2
Agree 100% with this.

A great phone, with some silly annoyances - I don't get why you would remove some stock options/functionality from Android 9 Pie.

Biggest gripe for me is the status bar - I don't want to see the NFC or Bluetooth icons up there - I know they're on as I leave them on all the time!

To echo the original comment - the phone is great, but please address these points and improve the user experience even more!
hi, same here aod 3rd party notifications is my biggest issue, coming from pixel 2, now I have to use led for it, cmon Huawei get it finally sorted out, apparently its the same aod since mate 10 was released, anything we can do to push it up the chain?
Userlevel 3
Just to add another issue that is super annoying. I set the display size and text size to small and it is now small in the settings menus but everything else is still massive
Userlevel 2
Completely agree. Issues are not exclusive to Mate 20, my mate 10 is the same.

Why can't we interact with lockscreen notifications?

The size/design of notifications are too large compared to stock Android and other manufacturer skins. I can scarcely have 2-3 of them after pulling down the notifications shade without filling the screen.

Gesture navigation controls are extremely buggy when using alternative launchers - i hope this is fixed in an update soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi everyone,

Welcome on the Huawei Community! 🙂

Thanks for sharing these issues, bugs and missing items. We appreciate your feedback! I will forward these up the channels and hopefully we'll manage to fix everything with a next update.
Userlevel 3
@Amy Is there any page to see a version log for EMUI? and a changelog for each update?

It would be cool to get a post made here with the new version number and changelog for it.

Just now you have to browse around many forums and reddit and see comments from people saying they have an update for 9.0.0.X but never seeing a changelog so not knowing what has been fixed.

Also could you find out how the updates work? I can see people saying they are on 9.0.0.126 or .122 but mine is 9.0.0.108 and still says I am up to date and no updates available - is that a bug?
Userlevel 3
This video really highlights the notifications issues, thought I would post it here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iItCYhi8LYQ

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Good morning Havok89,

Thank you for your feedback and ideas. Just want to let you know that we are working on an update page, but I have to say that I don't know when exactly we'll be able to put this up on the community. And also thank you for sharing the video. I'm sending this to the software-team. 🙂
Userlevel 1
After previously owning both the mate 9 and 10pro and loving both phones i decided to upgrade to the mate 20 pro. I was however immediately disapointed that the phone didnt come with a screen protector fitted or a case in the box. These were 2 additions that I really appreciated on my previous 2 huawei phones. These are must haves in a phone that costs so much is nearly entirely of glass construction and very slippy to hold. Im also not likeing the curved screen, the curved edges making any text that runs to the edge hard to read from head on, and most pages reflow so the text doesnt use the outermost part of the screen which is a waste and really like having a thinner flat screen. The inscreen finger print reader is not a patch on the one one the mate 10 which worked 100% of the time and was in a position that enables the phone to be unlocked as it is picked up just on feel alone. The on screen one is proving poor by comparison as is the face unlock, forcing a pin to be used to unlock the phone. I have purchased a few screen protectors but they are hard to fit and soon begin to peel from the curved edges due to gestures so the floating dock fom the 10 pro is back.If the standard mate20 had a higher resolution screen, these cameras and the wiresless charging it would be a no brainer for me. The phone however is otherwise fast, great cameras and battery life top notch. Please Huawei dont forget the little extra touches like the case and screen protector that just make the devices real world useable for everyday use straight from box.
Userlevel 1
Agree with above also add when using app drawer you are unable to swipe back to get back to previous page, but back from floating dock works fine. Also fingerprint ID and face unlock could do with some more work. I also find the speaker phone and notification volumes are not loud enough, can the volume be increased by a software mod?. When using the swiping down gesture it links to a search page, it would be far more usefull for the swipe down gesture to lower the notification shade instead, an option could put in settings to choose the preferred action.
Thanks
Bug:

Sometimes when uninstalling from the play store the uninstall process will hang and not complete. It will only complete when the phone has been restarted.
Bug: When using easy share audio does not work properly. when watching video it give almost no audio, mainly silent with brief moments of audio. When opening a sound only file it just gives constant snippets of audio.

Tested with a Samsung 8 series 2018 model QLED tv.
Had the mate 20 Pro for a few days more after upgrading from mate 9. A few annoyances: icons don't appear in the status bar (eg can't see if I've received a text); I'm right handed and I'm finding it difficult to swipe from left using gestures and no floating dock to go back when using this one handed. Maybe a different way to do the gesture to go back should be possible (eg give option to swap swipe in from right for swipe in from left).

The status bar could be solved by making it scrolling text. I understand the notch is the issue but it's not great not having badges to tell me I have a new message or email, etc...
Userlevel 2
Had the mate 20 Pro for a few days more after upgrading from mate 9. A few annoyances: icons don't appear in the status bar (eg can't see if I've received a text); I'm right handed and I'm finding it difficult to swipe from left using gestures and no floating dock to go back when using this one handed. Maybe a different way to do the gesture to go back should be possible (eg give option to swap swipe in from right for swipe in from left).

The status bar could be solved by making it scrolling text. I understand the notch is the issue but it's not great not having badges to tell me I have a new message or email, etc...

With gestures you should be able to swipe in from either side. Both function as going back, regardless of side
I'm having issues with getting my mate 20 Pro to work properly with my Huawei watch 1. It is connected but to do so meant I had to reset my watch which means it doesn't currently have the latest version of wear OS. Basically, I don't have any notifications from my phone showing on my watch. Not sure if it is a mate 20 Pro issue or a watch issue.
Userlevel 2
I'm having issues with getting my mate 20 Pro to work properly with my Huawei watch 1. It is connected but to do so meant I had to reset my watch which means it doesn't currently have the latest version of wear OS. Basically, I don't have any notifications from my phone showing on my watch. Not sure if it is a mate 20 Pro issue or a watch issue.
To pair a wear os watch with any new phone it requires resetting. You should however be able to update it, be sure to check in settings-system-about and in play store on the watch for updates.

With gestures you should be able to swipe in from either side. Both function as going back, regardless of side

Thanks. That changes everything.
Userlevel 3
Bug:

In dark mode, the default navigation bar colour is still white. I know app developers can control this, but if they haven't specified a colour, it should default to black, not white. Even the built-in Messages app in dark mode exhibits this behaviour.

Also, some pages like App permissions are not dark mode enabled.
Happy with the phone, but have a few mentions after 3 days of use :
Estethical:
*when hide notch is activated, upper corners shouldn't have to be rounded (could be optional).

Technical:
*I've got a set of usb headphones (rechargeable), AKG N90Q. They don't work on this phone, it's forced to reverse charging mode. They work on my mate 10 pro on emui9.
*whatsapp notifications don't display message content when pulling down the banner. Just an empty box with WhatsApp (might be other apps too)

Using build 122-2 c432e
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
The app switching is dreadful as the app you want to go back to has to be center of the screen. Can't just touch the app tile to go to it.

I don't use the huawei launcher but still use the gestures. Sliding up is taking me to recent apps all the time instead of home. Could be down to that launcher though.
Userlevel 2
The app switching is dreadful as the app you want to go back to has to be center of the screen. Can't just touch the app tile to go to it.

I don't use the huawei launcher but still use the gestures. Sliding up is taking me to recent apps all the time instead of home. Could be down to that launcher though.

I really miss the ability to quick- switch to between the current and most recent app. Some very odd UX choices by Huawei to not have some of the recent great usability features in Android. Feels like a step back in a few ways.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Here is the multitasking issue I mentioned
Emui multitasking video
Yeah, lots of issues, how the heck did you take away the option for different sms-notifications on each Sim card, worked great on Mate 9 Pro but not on the flagship????
Love the phone after upgrading from a OP3, but there are a few annoyances - but I've not played with many of the functions.

The one that stands out for me, as previously mentioned by others is we can't interact with the lock screen and have to completely unlock the phone. This is a major major flaw which needs to be fixed asap.

I've got a few app issues now - and am not sure if its the fault of the app developers or the EMUI software.
Netflix often just hangs on the loading screen and Amazon Prime video has a DRM issue when watching downloaded videos in offline mode and will stop me from watching a video part way through. The only way to fix this temporarily is to restart the phone. I've escalated to Amazon - and we'll see what they say. Not had a chance to contact Neftlix yet though.

Also the fingerprint scanner/reader is quite hit and miss - I'd say it works about 75% - 80% of the time.

On the lock screen, apps take an age to acknowledge the interaction I have done - e.g. delete an email in gmail. Its about 5-10 secs after I do the interaction

Missed calls - same problem as in the original post
Userlevel 1
Coming from OnePlus 5T.

Overall phone was great so far except for the following below:

Default Launcher
  1. The customization of the default launcher is terrible, especially the magazine lock, you can't easily revert back to it original state, unless you do the lock screen with the slide up and unlock it, then it will revert back to it original switching magazine,
  2. If you change it to some other wallpaper it will appear transparent white by the bottom which make the screen look so cheap skate, (i do not know whether is this the so call green thingy of LG panel screen that affect my device or something else, im unsure, however if i set it to those default wallpaper, everything seem fine.
Notification Panel Top
  1. It has limited space, and you doesn't allow customization to remove the battery icon / if i'm using dual sim, it will both pop up, i rather u shrunk it to fit or just allow user to at least customize it or perhaps allow another bar. Would prefer more customization allow with the limited space notification bar.
Notification Lock Screen
  1. Lock screen notification disappeared once i unlock the screen. Whether I open it or i just leave it without going into the app, the lock screen notification all disappeared, so if user forget to keep track, they always need to go all the way back in to the phone scroll it down to see what's been going on.
  2. Lock screen content hidden, can you allow user to set all by default to allow all show or hidden according to user preferences. Whether w finger print unlock or not. Or face recognition to view. Rather than just all hidden?
App Permissions
  1. Be more friendly, because i basically need to set all apps 1 by 1 every single app permission, and the moment you restart your device, the permission reset. -.-"