Mate 20 Pro - EMUI9 issues, bugs, dislikes, feature requests

• 30 October 2018
  • 196 replies

Show first post

196 replies

Missing an icon hidding feature.

I set alarm for everyday but don't need the "alarm icon" next to the battery icon all times.

As same as "location icon", "NFC icon" is not needed all the time at the top of the screen. Even if NFC is ON.

You can hide these icons.... I really can't recollect how i did... Google it
Userlevel 1
I agree with all the above, the phone is great but the software is awful.

1 notifications really needs to be fixed and how the phone handless notifications overall. Some apps not receiving notifications at all now matter what the settings and how many times you reset the phone.
What was wrong with sliding 2 fingers to expand the notifications, now you have to aim to tap the stupid arrow arrow twice. You dismiss the notifications on the lock screen the page icon is gone as well. Why ?

2 AOD the only notification that shows on the AOD is the SMS icon, but other apps like what's app, gmail missed calls etc nothing.

3 Why the annoying knock gestures? Who supported to remember them all. Cant you just add a button when you take a screenshot to start the extended screenshot like on the OnePlus devices. knock twice and draw an S. really now ? Who taught that it is a good idea and it is intuitive. But you have million options do do the same thing. why not just one option hmmmm I don't know say swipe down with 3 fingers to take a screenshot and add a button to take an extended screenshot. I think it sounds much easier.

4 and a quick toggle to put the phone is silent and then back out of the silent mode would be nice without unlocking the phone every time would nice as well. Tripple tapping the volume up button could do the trick while the phone is locked.

Other that that the phone is good. Screen is nice, nice quality and nice camera.

1 notifications really needs to be fixed and how the phone handless notifications overall. Some apps not receiving notifications at all now matter what the settings and how many times you reset the phone.
What was wrong with sliding 2 fingers to expand the notifications, now you have to aim to tap the stupid arrow arrow twice. You dismiss the notifications on the lock screen the page icon is gone as well. Why ?

2 AOD the only notification that shows on the AOD is the SMS icon, but other apps like what's app, gmail missed calls etc nothing.

3 Why the annoying knock gestures? Who supported to remember them all. Cant you just add a button when you take a screenshot to start the extended screenshot like on the OnePlus devices. knock twice and draw an S. really now ? Who taught that it is a good idea and it is intuitive. But you have million options do do the same thing. why not just one option hmmmm I don't know say swipe down with 3 fingers to take a screenshot and add a button to take an extended screenshot. I think it sounds much easier.

4 and a quick toggle to put the phone is silent and then back out of the silent mode would be nice without unlocking the phone every time would nice as well. Tripple tapping the volume up button could do the trick while the phone is locked.

Other that that the phone is good. Screen is nice, nice quality and nice camera.

For scrolling screenshot, press volume down + power button together, once you see the preview of screenshot on bottom left, drag the preview down south to make a scrolling screen shot.
Userlevel 1

For scrolling screenshot, press volume down + power button together, once you see the preview of screenshot on bottom left, drag the preview down south to make a scrolling screen shot.

Cheers it worked, much better than the stupid knock and then draw S style, the rest of the issues however still needs to be address I the software update. I forgot to mention random vibrations and nothing is received, no message no notification nothing, just a random vibration. very aggressive in killing apps in the background so when you return to the app after some time the app reloads. And of course the bluetooth. In order for it to connect to my cars radio and be able to make calls I have to open it before I start the car, then it's fine, you open it after say when you gore to open it form before it doesn't connect at all. You have to go manually to the settings select the radio and enable calls. supper annoying as well.
All the above mentioned things used to work like a magic without issues on a phone that cost 420 EUR. You decide to buy a premium phone so you expect the things to work when you pay 900 EUR and they don't.
Really annoying.

Cheers it worked, much better than the stupid knock and then draw S style, the rest of the issues however still needs to be address I the software update. I forgot to mention random vibrations and nothing is received, no message no notification nothing, just a random vibration. very aggressive in killing apps in the background so when you return to the app after some time the app reloads. And of course the bluetooth. In order for it to connect to my cars radio and be able to make calls I have to open it before I start the car, then it's fine, you open it after say when you gore to open it form before it doesn't connect at all. You have to go manually to the settings select the radio and enable calls. supper annoying as well.
All the above mentioned things used to work like a magic without issues on a phone that cost 420 EUR. You decide to buy a premium phone so you expect the things to work when you pay 900 EUR and they don't.
Really annoying.

Wait till you find this bug i found yesterday. I was using google map and only to find the 4G failed to switch from wifi. Then most of the apps i found except chrome broswer works with 4G and wifi. Though its not just google map but the rest of the apps i found failed to switch from wifi to 4G even when i took wifi off. This gotta be a common fault and coming like you said on what you paid. I'm regretting quite alot from buying this new phone.
Userlevel 1
Really annoying.

I couldn't agree more. I got 10 more days to decide if I should keep it or not and I am considering returning it. IS there a way to control the how aggressive the app killing is in the back ground. I am running some 3rd party calendar apps and I cannot have them running 24/7. It really sucks. My windows phone could it, my palm pre could do it...why can't Android do it? Geezz

Vas
Userlevel 1

Really annoying.

I couldn't agree more. I got 10 more days to decide if I should keep it or not and I am considering returning it. IS there a way to control the how aggressive the app killing is in the back ground. I am running some 3rd party calendar apps and I cannot have them running 24/7. It really sucks. My windows phone could it, my palm pre could do it...why can't Android do it? Geezz

Vas

The background killing process is really bad on EMUI, it's way too aggressive. The phone have 4000 mAh battery in it and still they killing aps in the background like crazy. I never close the aps in the background andI never had issues before with my phones. I always let android do it's thing. And if I did run into battery issues I simply checked the battery sections and find the app that was killing the battery.
I wanted to buy the same phone for my employees as we as few of them require a company phone but I can't afford a phone with no notifications.
I already can't return mine cause I'm out of return policy and they would not accept software issues anyway so I will stuck with it for a while. But I'm willing to give them a chance to solve the issues with a software update. There is plenty of complains outside of this forum. You got issue type it in google and you find plenty of results for all the issues mentioned here.
Userlevel 1

Really annoying.

Wait till you find this bug i found yesterday. I was using google map and only to find the 4G failed to switch from wifi. Then most of the apps i found except chrome broswer works with 4G and wifi. Though its not just google map but the rest of the apps i found failed to switch from wifi to 4G even when i took wifi off. This gotta be a common fault and coming like you said on what you paid. I'm regretting quite alot from buying this new phone.

hmmmm this is very strange. I don't have this issue. I will check my settings I use and I keep you updated. I had something similar in my OnePlus when it refused to switch to 4g when the wifi signal was weak but still in range even tough I had seamless wifi switching on. Say I left the house and the wifi was still in range but even with the weaker signal the phone refused to switch to 4g, it did it only after a few seconds that it lost connection to wifi. And the phone was set to switch to 4g as soon as the wifi signal is weak.
I will check my settings and let you you know.
Userlevel 1
I have a major problem with editing photos. Basically I realised recently that the exif meta data (date & location) is changed as well when editing it through the phone's gallery. So if not edited immediately, and maybe a day or two later at home, its totally pointless. For a phone that is sold by its top line camera, it feel a little superficial to then not be able to do any post-production editing on the in-house software (that is excellent I have to say) because the exif data gets completely corrupted. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is an issue?
I really like the phone after getting rid of all the bloatware. However, coming from an old Galaxy Note 4, I really really miss these features:

• DLNA streaming to TV without third party apps
  • a system-wide audio equalizer that lets me change the sound for bluetooth output
  • direct unlock with fingerprint, just like with face unlock
Besides that, it would be great to have more control over the cameras. I really would like to explicitely use this or that camera without automatically switching between them. And the JPG compression is a bit too aggressive, I think... it would be nice to have a setting for that, maybe in such a way that you can specify the maximum JPG file size in the options and the compression gets set accordingly. I would go for something like 30 or 40 MB, I think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Epwhamilton I've moved your topic to this existing thread. This way your question gets noticed more and hopefully you'll have a quicker answer to your topic!

Cheers,

Amy
Userlevel 2
  • the AOD NEEDS notifications! An working AOD is a basic function for any highend phone. But without notification support from apps like Messenger, WhatsApp, .... the AOD is USELESS. Really Huawei?
  • would be nice to make the AOD customizable (clock style, color, contents, style, ...)
  • add visual alert to AOD when a notification is present (like edge lighting, a "flash" every X seconds, ...)
  • make notifications in the status bar more prominent. Right now, they look like the status icons and you really have to peek to see if there is a notification. The notification counter could be made red for example. So, if you see anything red or in the statusbar, you immediately see that it is a notification and NOT a status icon.
  • don't let us waste one icon space in the dock when we use the app drawer. Why an icon for the drawer? Why can't we just swipe upwards from within the dock to open the drawer?
  • support more the 5 icons in the dock. Maybe 6, oder 10 in two rows.
  • get a running preview of the live wallpapers in the design app BEFORE one has to buy.
  • allow scaling of widgets on home screen. Widgets like Outlook (calendar and mail) and others are way too big, wasting a lot of space on the screen without providing much info.
  • allow to start the camera by holding the power button for one second. The option for shutdown and restart could be implemented by holding the button 3 seconds or longer. That way, we would have a hardware button to access the camera app
Dear fellow Mate 20 pro Users,

Do we have any update if mate 20 pro users wil get emui 9.1 update?.
Also for feature request it would be great if Huawei could implement in gallery the ability to playback
videos like on iphone where you can drag the video bar and see frame by frame.
The playback at slow speed is good but it would be better if we could actually select and see the specific
frame we want.

Really annoying.
hmmmm this is very strange. I don't have this issue. I will check my settings I use and I keep you updated. I had something similar in my OnePlus when it refused to switch to 4g when the wifi signal was weak but still in range even tough I had seamless wifi switching on. Say I left the house and the wifi was still in range but even with the weaker signal the phone refused to switch to 4g, it did it only after a few seconds that it lost connection to wifi. And the phone was set to switch to 4g as soon as the wifi signal is weak.
I will check my settings and let you you know.

hi there,
did you have same problem? i'm having it worst than i thought since the new update. Even google play store and firefox no longer works.. The map is fixed but google play and firefox stop working.
Userlevel 4
Badge
It would be great if mobile data usage was in the mobile network area so it could be accessed quickly by pressing and holding the Mobile Data shortcut in the notifications bar as it would save having to go through so many menus.
Coming from the OG Google Pixel, I recently bought myself a Mate 20 Pro and my partner a P30 Pro when my phone died.

I love the Huawei hardware, I just wish they'd stop filling the phone with their shitty bloatware and give me vanilla Android. The literal definition of Android One. That's all I want. Just plain old Android, no "improvements" or additional software. I get zero value from ANY of the apps that come pre-loaded.

In most cases I have (where possible) just replaced them with their vanilla Google equivalent (e.g. contacts/clock/messages, etc.) and have switched to Nova Launcher. It frustrates me to no end that I can't even remove half of them without rooting the phone and risking breaking stuff. Why give me a Huawei App store when Google Play exists and is the de facto standard? Why give me Huawei Health when Google Fit is far superior? Why fill it with themes, custom contact and messaging apps, dialers, etc.? They add absolutely nothing.

I echo OP's gripes as well. The AOD is a mess and really needs fixing. It isn't even functional when using the official Huawei "Smart" Cover. So far I'm pretty undecided on whether I will buy another Huawei device. If they were to start making Android One devices with Huawei hardware, I'd be all over it.

😕
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'm facing a bug with the gallery and dark mode. Sometimes when I open the gallery it lacks the album names and I have to force close and reopen to get it to display correctly.

How it should look.

How it often looks.

Can we please please add the 'requrie password when power of'! Services like 'find my android' are completley useless if the theif can just power of the phone. I see on forums its been a request since mate10, comon Huawei!!
I've had a bug with sound recording since new. The sound in some of my videos and voice recordings is kind of garbled and pretty much renders it useless. This happens at random which is the most annoying aspect. I've done resets etc and nothing has changed. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their device?
I'm still getting DRM issues with Amazon Video and Netflix all the time - and keep having to restart the phone to temporarily resolve it. The picture freezes in Amazon Video, then pops up the below message. With Netflix, the loading screen simply hangs.

If it was just one of them, I'd say it was their issue rather than Huawei's, but as its both, I'm leaning more towards it being a Huawei problem.

Userlevel 1
I would like to be able to lock the screen in one orientation to avoid it changing directions during watching a video.