Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Userlevel 3
Can anyone explain why I'm seeing green on the edges of my Huawei mate 20 Pro?

738 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
It is hard to make out from your image, not sure if its refraction from the curved edge or you have an issue with the glue on the edge of your screen.

If you think you have an issue , contact the retailer you purchased from in the first instance or go via the huawei car app and raise a repair request.

Again not sure if you have an issue or its refraction from the edge are my best guesses.
Userlevel 3
I have the same issue but only on some apps. It's seems it happens when trying to replicate a certain colour? As in the setting in dark mode it's perfect black? But on some app when not fully black this green tinge appears?
Userlevel 3
Mine is constantly a green on the left side(curve). I've been told I'm eligible for a replacement but I'm just not too sure now about the handset. Never had a screen issue with likes of iPhones and my most recent handset the pixel 2. Hick ups like these put a lot things in perspective. May just swap for a pixel 3 πŸ˜’

Ps..

Btw, Loving the battery lifeπŸ‘
Userlevel 3
This is a pain. I only get it with grey colours but still not good enough! How did you go about eligibility for a replacement. I love the phone and will gladly take a replacement. But can't stick with it being green!
Userlevel 3
As the other post has been marked as solved. Has anyone else got this issue when the screen tries to reproduce grey. I just googled grey wallpaper then zoomed in to picture. Looks like will be sending this back then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi ATPJB,

I unsolved this topic (as it's clearly not solved!) and moved your new post. We are looking into this internally and I'll let you know as soon as I have more info.
Userlevel 2
Hi,

So quite a few people who pre-ordered and received the first batch of phones in the UK are beginning to spot a growing issue that is that on low brightness and dark backgrounds, the edges of the screen and sometimes the screen itself glows green.

I myself have this issue and it's very annoying, especially when I browse a lot at night using dark mode on apps such as reddit and discord.

Early signs are that the problems are with LG manufactured screens. The easy way to test if you're experiencing this issue is twofold:

1. Download an app from the app store called "Device Info HW". Open that up and on the first page under the touchscreen row it will say either LG or BOE.
  2. To test if your screen glows go into battery settings and turn on the dark mode. Then go to a dark, glare free environment, such as a room at night and open the dialer. You'll immediately be able to tell if your screen is a experiencing this issue.
What I think needs to happen is for the people who are experiencing this issue to speak up so that Huawei can address it.

I've attached examples of mine but more examples can be found on other forums also.

Userlevel 3
Ok thank you. This is not the only case there is Reddit posts and websites already reporting this issue.

Just a couple.

https://phoneradar.com/several-huawei-mate-20-pro-users-reporting-green-tint-problem/

https://amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Huawei/comments/9t72ni/green_screen_on_the_mate_20_pro_looks_to_be_an/?usqp=mq331AQECAEoAQ%3D%3D&_js_v=0.1

Love the phone amazing bit of kit!
But this is bit of a quality control issue!
And have contacted my provider to return only to be told have to wait until new stock arrives in up to 2 weeks! β˜ΉοΈπŸ˜‘
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
If you have an issue with your device, simply return to the point of sale for a replacement or under the Huawei customer services app you can request a free repair.

Unfortuanlty a small number of phones from all manufacturers sometimes get issues, especially with this type of screen.

It's possibly a small batch effected only as although chatter on xda and Reddit are hyped up actual evidence posted on official channels seems to be in the low numbers.

Again Huaweinwill repair or point of sale should replace.

Not convinced on the LG / china theory either.

Hope you get a resolution quickly.
Userlevel 3
Cheers but..
At point of sale don't have stock of my model. And sending off with a repair will leave me with out a phone at all.
Userlevel 2
Seeing as though this is reported not just in the UK but China and Germany I don't think it's quite as isolated as you might like to think.

Look at this objectively, I say that because you openly admit to being bias. People have had replacements from their point of sale only to have the same issue. I'd much prefer Huawei to acknowledge the issue and provide a solution than gamble with a retailer who only care about shifting boxes.
Userlevel 3
ATPJB , I have been offered a replacement by my network provider (three). The replacement will be here on the 9th. This is bad for Huawei. All this complex technology (reverse wireless charging) but can't even provide a proper DND mode! And screen durability. It looks like I will be switching back to a pixel 3. I have a strange feeling it if I go with the replacement I'm going to be back and forth with warranty issues.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
It's a shame you feel like that @RajassHuawei why request a replacement and not a switch to pixel?

I think you have been unlucky with Tour screen, but EMUI is not stock android and only pixel has that if that's your priority.
Userlevel 3
ATPJB, just been on the first link you have sent, and learned that the screen of the mate 20 pro is made by LG and not Samsung as I was told. Definitely switching now to a different handset πŸ˜’
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi all,

I've merged the replies on this matter from different topics to this one. All new threads on this matter will be merged or trashed. Let's use this topic as the general discussion. 🙂
Userlevel 3
RajassHuawei yes I have been offered a replacement via 02 but the only colour they have in stock is the black. I have the twighlight. I wouldn't mind some much if it was just a software issue but a faulty panel I can't stick with. It's is a shame as love the phone. Kinda of stuck because of stock issues. Unless I go for the black or a new phone. Sucks ☹️
Userlevel 3
Mr Chillphone I requested the replacement because I thought it was a one off hick up but now that many users across the globe are reporting the same issue I'm just simply paranoid of the handset. And I say it's definitely a LG problem, because if you remember the pixel 2xl last year had the same issues with their screens made by LG, hence the reason they sacked them and went with Samsung.
ATPJB... Hope you get your issue resolved.
Userlevel 2
@Amy Any official word on this? I'm going to try for a replacement from place of purchase first but I'd feel much more reassured if there was an official statement as I only have a certain amount of days to decide if I keep the phone or not and if I do I'm tied in for two years. I don't want to do that if this issue wont ever get fixed.

I want to keep this phone as I love the cameras, but the screen is faulty beyond belief.
Userlevel 2
yeah I have that issue too. it wasnt there at first but gets worse each day. getting my replacement next week.
Userlevel 3
Kipz.RW, that screen looks horrible. Mine isn't as bad as that but over the days I can see it turning into a green monster. This is my first ever experience with this company so don't know how great their customer service approach is. I myself have a limited amount of time to decide. Which sucks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
The majority of customers myself included do not have such issue with screen, so hopefully your issue will be rectified with a replacement (stocks permitting)
Userlevel 2
RajassHuawei wrote:

Kipz.RW, that screen looks horrible. Mine isn't as bad as that but over the days I can see it turning into a green monster. This is my first ever experience with this company so don't know how great their customer service approach is. I myself have a limited amount of time to decide. Which sucks.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. 14 day cooling off period. This is like my dream phone too with the camera setup. I've come from an LG G6, wanted the V40 but that doesn't look to be coming to the UK and this has a better camera quality anyway.

Maybe my phone is just angry with me and is turning into the Hulk, just waiting for the battery to explode to confirm it lol.

I've never dealt with Huawei CS or warranty before either but I'm hopeful they will try.
Userlevel 3
Hi @Amy can we unsolved this again please?
RajassHuawei wouldn't keep marking it as solved. Need to keep this thing going. πŸ‘πŸ»
Userlevel 3
It's 14 days to change your mind , and 30 days if the device is faulty according to the law. KIPZ.RW how are you getting around the DND mode problem? Whenever I have my phone on do not disturb I get a pop screen notifying me on who's calling even when I'm gaming. I don't think Huawei understand the definition of Do Not DISTURB!!!! 😁
Userlevel 1
Same problem on my Mate, got it from O2, have to wait for twilight to be stocked to get my replacement

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings