Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Show first post

1856 replies

Hi, i have now the possibility to buy 2 different available Mate 20 Pro in stock in store near my house

1) emerald green 18C21 Dual Sim L29
2) midnight blue 18C28 Mono Sim L09

Which i can buy to not have problems? Thanks
I have a Mate 20 Pro with BOE-02-18-00-61 (from Device Info HW) and I'm experiencing the lower right corner with a more bluish tone. Besides that it is practically impossible to see an even background... there is always a variation of color depending on the angle.

Is it enough reason to ask for a change?
Ran mine through display tester again last night and decided the edge colour shift is just not acceptable to me, it is more than light fall off that you see on other edged phones and I just do not want a green frame around my screen.

On the fence as to whether to try another one from Amazon or not, not seen an example of a BOE screen that does not have this effect and if it is indeed ‘normal’ then I am not happy with that. LGs do look to fair better but judging by this and other forums the hulk issue still persists even today on LG screens.

Leaning towards waiting for the S10 but I have to say that the View 20 has me curious as does the Mate 20 (non-pro)
Cheers, will take a look.

The non-pro M20 also has me curious.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Thanks, seems that if you can get a non-hulk LG screen that is the way to go

Yep, that would be ideal.

If you can handle the lack of wireless charging and onscreen fingerprint (and a much bigger form factor) then check out the Mate 20 X. It's huge, but when I had one for a test I found I preferred it to the Pro in loads of ways. Here's my review if you're interested.

Anyway, g'luck whatever you go for.
Thanks, seems that if you can get a non-hulk LG screen that is the way to go
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hey @neil74

I have a Mate 20 Pro (BOE) and would say the angular dependency is about the same as you're experiencing. On my first (returned) LG it wasn't as noticeable but there were, of course, other issues with that.

Anyway, I can say that I've now grown accustomed to it and have kinda tuned it out. However, despite the benefits of a curved edge (aesthetics/ form factor) I'll probably revert to flat in the future. Maybe even the P30 Pro!
I got the M20 pro hulk edition at launch so decided to return it and picked up a Note 9. There was recently a really good deal in the UK though (£250 off) so I decided to give it another go as honestly other than the truly terrible always on display I think it is the best droid currently available. My new one is a BOE and I was initially so relieved when I discovered it! The I noticed that green colour shift on the edges, sorry angular dependency!

I am really not sure if it is acceptable and I do think it is really noticeable when using any app with a lighter screen (see attached for picture of mine) I have used the S7 edge, various S8/8+, various 9/9+ and have a Note 9 now too and have never seen this phenomenon on any of them. My question is though does anybody on here (BOE or LG) have a mate 20 pro that does not have any colour shift / angular dependency?

I have a jiffy bag on the way from Huawei for them to replace but after reading this thread it seems that this can drag on, I also fear they may just come back say there is nothing wrong with it and then I’d be outside my cooling off/warranty period with o2 and would have to live with the one of I have. I am considering buying another from Amazon and chancing my arm as their CS and returns if needed are just so much better.

Got a BOE screen which is good... I think? No green yet. Is it normal for there to be a blue tint down the edges? I can only see it when its against a white background. Seems to come and go if I tilt the phone. I'm guessing that's just a symptom of curved edges? Happy with the phone though, would never want to swap to a different model!Hey @Coffea

Yes, all good 👍 The effect you describe is completely normal and due, as you say, to the curved edges - it even has a fancy name (white angular dependency). Glad you're enjoying the phone.

Top lad. Thanks for your quick response!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Got a BOE screen which is good... I think? No green yet. Is it normal for there to be a blue tint down the edges? I can only see it when its against a white background. Seems to come and go if I tilt the phone. I'm guessing that's just a symptom of curved edges? Happy with the phone though, would never want to swap to a different model!

Hey @Coffea

Yes, all good 👍 The effect you describe is completely normal and due, as you say, to the curved edges - it even has a fancy name (white angular dependency). Glad you're enjoying the phone.
Got a BOE screen which is good... I think? No green yet. Is it normal for there to be a blue tint down the edges? I can only see it when its against a white background. Seems to come and go if I tilt the phone. I'm guessing that's just a symptom of curved edges? Happy with the phone though, would never want to swap to a different model!
Userlevel 3
Having to go through these issues whether it was bought new or used is unacceptable. I really don't understand how such a few people on here have so many replacements.. Surely this problem must be much bigger of an issue to discuss officially!

Is the scale of this issue unlike others that came before, lg, google pixel etc ?

Received new boxed with accessories BOE device - 19116

I received my replacement & honestly not trying to look too hard as it was tiring to wait. My process..

16-Jan Reported
19th Jan, Received Sbe Return bag (unsure why they can't invest into booking a collection)
21st - sent
22nd received
25th - Assessed as bad screen quality ( told stock would be an estimated week)
31st Stock Received
4th/ Feb - Despatched
6th - Received via royal mail 24 ( missed on the day before)

20 days.. But if we want to be nice, sbe sent a new replacement in 10 working days from receiving the device.

I truly hope this is the end and I can use the device for years to come, will see how it goes & hope as I'm get tired from this experience, researching, shopping & replacing.

I guess everyone needs a spare Android device for such situations right! A free overpriced NM card would have been hired as a sorry for the inconvenience customers we messed up.
Userlevel 1
So just a quick, and final, update on my situation.

I've now fought with my retailer (Virgin Mobile) to the point where I've now had them replace my Huawei Mate 20 pro phone three times. The latest of which arrived today. One plus side is that the turnaround from me sending my defective phone in to them, then them delivering it to my door was just 2 days each time! Glad I din't go down the SBE route.

Unfortunately it is the BOE screen (my first one as the previous two were Lg's) and the screen is absolutely awful! The pink hue is so unbearable right out the box. It is most noticeable down the bottom right of my screen only and is impossible to unsee when on dark or white backgrounds.

I have put in another complaint and Virgin Mobile have now honoured an agreement to cancel my contract penalty free as soon as I return this garbage phone.

I cannot wait to be done with this nightmare. This was my first Huawei product and will definitely be my last.

I'm switching to Samsung as soon as their s10+ comes out.

If anyone wants to know:
My first 2 phones were of batch 18A10 (both suffered from really really bad green screen and terrible uniformity issues). This latest BOE phone was from batch 18B26 and has sever pink hue from bottom right corner of screen.
Userlevel 3
After months of dealing with these issues Huawei & Sbe should be handling these screen issues better. I made complaints you both about slow procedures but unsure it'll make any difference.

These issues could and should be dealt with in under 5 working days. It's supposedly a premium device, surely a next day delivered item could be inspected for fault, verified and a replacement sent out within 4 days..

Anything less are simply excuses, 1 week wait for expected stock arrival & 2-3 days to test the item and verify it's working before sending out. That's 10 days gone. Estimates in this case might be knowingly underestimated. I'll have to enquire.

The earliest I can expect a return is 22 days from first report..

My Mate 20 pro Cases and other items are already arriving from China, but I have no phone!
A update on mine. Turns out because I bought a dual SIM variant off eBay it wasn't a UK model but a Hong Kong one. 26/10/18 version with LG screen. So SBE wouldn't touch it and claimed I would have to either get it touch with the seller or Huawei Hong Kong. Got in contact with the seller (who advertised it with 1 year warranty) and he told me to return it. When received he claimed it wasn't faulty and was refusing to acknowledge any fault. Luckily I took some photos beforehand (one attached below). Finally after a lot of back and forth he agreed to refund in full (the cheeky b4574RD then resold it on eBay at a discount claiming it was opened and the buyer just changed his mind!)

Anyway bought one from 3 UK and that's a 26/12/18 build with a BOE screen. Looks perfect so far.

Old phone:

Userlevel 3
Update
Received my replacement mate 20 pro and so far so good. Bit paranoid constantly checking for green screen but hopefully can start enjoying it now..
Good luck to everyone else still waiting

If its a BOE screen which it should be from SBE you should be green screen free. Is it a 5/11/18 build? I wasn't impressed with the quality of my boe screen at all, it looked inferior to my LG screen (apart from the glowing green of course ha) It might of just been my replacement that looked a bit ropey though because ive read on here that people have been really impressed by their BOE replacement. I just couldn't be bothered sending it back again and it was highly likely that SBE would of sent it back to me saying there's nothing wrong with it if they couldn't spot the green screen with my original device and it was quite severe so just decided to get rid and move on.
Userlevel 2
Update
Received my replacement mate 20 pro and so far so good. Bit paranoid constantly checking for green screen but hopefully can start enjoying it now..

Good news. Day 17 and still waiting
Userlevel 1
Update
Userlevel 2
The majority of customers myself included do not have such issue with screen, so hopefully your issue will be rectified with a replacement (stocks permitting)
Thousands do and we are waitng weeks and weeks (16 days so far for me). Not acceptable while Huawei continue to feed sales market.
Userlevel 3
Ive sold my mate 20 pro today. Even though my faulty lg screen device was replaced by Huawei (SBE) im still not satisfied with the quality of the BOE screen. Also the way Huawei and SBE handled the replacement swap has put me off using the thing, ive found myself using my old g5 more than i should of been. Its a shame cause the mate 20 pro should of been the flagship device that catapulted Huawei from a mid range manufacturer to the big league alongside Samsung and Apple. My next phone is looking likely to be a galaxy s9 plus and im sure if there happens to be any issues with that Samsung will do a much better job in rectifying it. Good luck everyone 👍
Userlevel 3
Reading just a handful of posts is just frustrating, I've only recently bought a mate 20 pro, green screen noticed the first night while setting up, it's the o2 variety lg screen from a seller but thought it quicker to get it replaced than return..

Its been with sbe for 2 days now, on such a scale, hoping one replacement will be enough or before too long,. The screen issue are quite bad though. It's not really the way to compensate customers with more bad services. Certainly far from premium that where do you get what you pay for these days, it's always a struggle or fight.

Userlevel 2
Update. Day 15 still no word. Even though it has allegedly been escalated.
To be honest I would now accept am altermative.

Am absolute shambles.
Userlevel 1
So I thought my nightmare was over but no.

Long story short, I had purchased two Mate 10 Pro devices on pre-order and recieved them on release date here in the UK. Both developed extremely bad green screen in around 2 weeks time. After ALOT of hassle I finally managed to get my provider (Virgin Mobile) to replace one of my devices with a new one (only sent one device in to test whether it was with going through the hassle of replacement).

I've had the new device for a few weeks and surprise surpise it has developed the same green screen issue, getting worse by the day!

I've sent a complaint email in to virgin Mobile but I am not holding out any hope for a resolution.

I'm absolutely sick fed up of this joke of a phone now. I've paid over £2100 for two devices which are faulty with no sign of hope for working devices!

Feel for you bro, Huawei is a joke of a company. I'm on day 10 that phone has been with SBE and still no update on tracking. Sent email but no reply and can't phone as put on hold for 45 minutes plus. Lesson learnt never buy Huawei and make sure everyone I know never buys Huawei again
Userlevel 1
So I thought my nightmare was over but no.

Long story short, I had purchased two Mate 10 Pro devices on pre-order and recieved them on release date here in the UK. Both developed extremely bad green screen in around 2 weeks time. After ALOT of hassle I finally managed to get my provider (Virgin Mobile) to replace one of my devices with a new one (only sent one device in to test whether it was with going through the hassle of replacement).

I've had the new device for a few weeks and surprise surpise it has developed the same green screen issue, getting worse by the day!

I've sent a complaint email in to virgin Mobile but I am not holding out any hope for a resolution.

I'm absolutely sick fed up of this joke of a phone now. I've paid over £2100 for two devices which are faulty with no sign of hope for working devices!
Userlevel 3

I have decided im going to try and push for a replacement of my replacement (boe screen) device. Im finding myself drawn to the white spots that are visible on my screen and it's driving me nuts ha. Im also not happy with the severity of the amoled pink/ red tint to my screen, I've never owned an amoled screen phone previously but im sure its not supposed to be as bad as this. The issue i have is SBE couldn't spot the glowing green screen i had on my original mate 20 pro i sent to them and i had to send proof of the problem to Huawei before i sent it back the 2nd time. I don't think the issues with this screen are going to be visible on a photograph so i cant see me getting anywhere with them this time. I've been seriously contemplating selling my phone to music magpie today for 450 quid and purchasing a galaxy s9+ but i would be out of pocket doing that and i dont see why i should have to be. I thought my Huawei horror story had come to an end when i got my boe replacement but it continues....I was thinking the same but on eBay they are selling for over £600, whenever I get my phone replaced that is. Really disgusted in the manner Huawei are handling this issue, regretting ever using them and certainly won't buy another Huawei phone.
Good luck trying to get it replaced and the time it will take for it to be processed.

Ive seen the s9+ (new) for £470 i think it was but I'm not sure if the site can be trusted, it has shocking reviews on trustpilot ha. I'll see how my phone call goes later but nothing is straightforward with Huawei and SBE so im not hopeful. I know how you feel, think Huawei have a long way to go if they want to be on par with the big boys, Samsung, Apple etc.