Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Show first post

738 replies

Userlevel 1
@Amy

Hey there, after checking out xda and reddit I decided to post here of what could be the issue or what models.

Seems like this problem occurs on LYA-L09 devices with LG screen.

Myself and a few other users have the LYA-L29 device with LG screen and so far nobody of us detected any green bleeding/radiation problems.

I'm using the phone daily for 11 days now and 2 days ago I didn't even know such problem existed.

And i'd like to point out that some LYA-L09 users had the problem start within 2 days of usage and some reported to have green bleeding when they took the phone out of the box.

Hope this helps.
Im having the exact same issue! I thought it was just me until I saw this! Mine is doing worse as the screen has started to flicker green slightly whenever i close it! Going to go in store tomorrow and hope they can give me a replacement!
katsura9k wrote:

@Amy

Hey there, after checking out xda and reddit I decided to post here of what could be the issue or what models.

Myself and a few other users have the LYA-L29 device with LG screen and so far nobody of us detected any green bleeding/radiation problems.

I'm using the phone daily for 11 days now and 2 days ago I didn't even know such problem existed.

And i'd like to point out that some LYA-L09 users had the problem start within 2 days of usage and some reported to have green bleeding when they took the phone out of the box.

Hope this helps.

Hey, how can we check what model we have?
Userlevel 1
Shujhon wrote:

katsura9k wrote:

@Amy

Hope this helps.

Hey, how can we check what model we have?

Settings > system > about phone

Or

Download : Device Info HW from Play Store
Userlevel 2

If you download that app you can screenshot the results. It will also show you your current screen settings
Userlevel 3
chillphone wrote:

Huawei haven't said it's normal, your retailer will refund or replace or huawei will repair under warranty.

Not all of the screens are failing, I personally think it's a small batch.

I've same screen but don't see this replicating.

For clarity, whats the model number of your phone etc

You can also pursue via huawei support app should a replacement not be what you require.

Are a number of devices having a screen problem?

Yes

Is this a large group of devices? Don't think so

Can these users get replacements? Yes

Is huawei ignoring this issue?

No, as already stated they are investigating but to help that I'd suggest stating your imei numbers direct with hiawei so they can look into it being a batch issue etc

Hope you get your replacement soon as its the best smartphone on the market in my opinion.

If you read the Reddit posts Huawei have been telling some people this is normal.

We know not all screens are failing and this is only certain ones. Still does not change the fact that some people paid a large amount of money for a faulty product.

I am glad you're is not. As you can imagine the frustration other have with this.

This seems to be the single SIM version with Lg screens.

Majority would have already contact Huawei support and provide/point of sale. Because they want there faulty device fix/replaced asap

In the scale of things probably not a large number of devices. But I am sure if you had this problem that would not matter if 1 or 1 million. It just shouldn't be the case.

A replace would be lovely. But as you know this is a popular phone. And most now have to wait upto 2 weeks for a replacement due to no stock. And on some cases this problem is getting progressively worse!

As for Huawei ignoring this is issue. I am sure they are not. Don't think people think there are. Acknowledgement is what people are after. So they don't feel cought in limbo wondering if they should replace a phone that could potentially have the same problem? If maybe we was told they know about this, and are taking the relevant steps to correct it that would be great.

As you can imagine having a green hue around your prescious new Huawei phone that you have just got is a bit frustrating for some. I am sure it would be for you if you had the same issue. Thankfully you have not.

I to hope this is sorted soon. But also acknowledged by Huawei. But as for many who pre ordered as soon as they can, and for those who did not. It at its current state is a choice to risk a replacement (that for some is 2 weeks away due to stock!) Send for repair (unknown timescale without any phone!) Or just change phones completely!

It definitely is a sad state for people with this problem as I know 1st hand ☹️😑

Hope this gets acknowledgement soon 🤞🏻
Userlevel 3
Just put in a request with my network provider to cancel the mate 20 pro replacement and replace it with a Google pixel 3. Way to many people complaining about the issue without any feedback from Huawei. Which to me is amateur movement.
Userlevel 1
I am experiencing the same issue on my mate 20 pro with lg model 51. Will be speaking to Vodafone about a replacement.
RajassHuawei wrote:

Can anyone explain why I'm seeing green on the edges of my Huawei mate 20 Pro?

I spoke yesterday with huawei support on the phone 3 times trying to explain them that this is a issue and is not normal. I had no results. I want a L29 not this L09... when are they planning to go public and admit they've done something wrong?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Good morning everyone,

To answer @djBarren's question: no I'm not ignoring you. We are reading every reply in this topic and are looking into this internally. As soon as I have more info, I will share it in this thread.
Userlevel 3
Good morning @Amy

Thanks for the reply. Do you have rough idea of timescale. As some people have a limited time to action this with there provider. Then there options on what they can do change dramatically. E.g a replacement device through there provider is time gated. Then they can only go though Huawei for a repair. Meaning no phone. And don't think most people want that option.
Thank you
Userlevel 1
I can only agree, I have a Mate 20 Pro ordered, expected for delivery a week today and at the moment I'm likely to cancel it for another handset, which would be a shame
Userlevel 2
Amy wrote:

Good morning everyone,

To answer @djBarren's question: no I'm not ignoring you. We are reading every reply in this topic and are looking into this internally. As soon as I have more info, I will share it in this thread.

Hi Amy, appreciate the reply.

However a lot of us are sat here with a faulty device and no idea if and when the new stock arrives it'll be the same displays or different. None of us want to have to go through it all again so it'd help of you can find out what screens these units will have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi all,

All info I have now:

The Mate 20 Pro uses an industry-leading flexible OLED screen featuring special design curved edges for an enhanced visual experience and holding comfort. This may lead to slight discolouration when viewed from different angles. In extremely dim lighting conditions, when the screen brightness is too low, or when using dark wallpapers, these differences can be exaggerated. If the colour cast affects your normal use, take your phone to an authorized Customer service Center for assistance.

This is not an official statement.
Userlevel 3
@Amy
Thanks for the reply

Nearly all flagship phones use these type of panels. Do Huawei think this is normal. If so why do other phones not have this. Maybe it's a free feature! lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Not a free feature 😉

If you have any additional questions, please leave them in this thread. I'll try to get them all answered.
Userlevel 2
Amy wrote:

Hi all,

All info I have now:

The Mate 20 Pro uses an industry-leading flexible OLED screen featuring special design curved edges for an enhanced visual experience and holding comfort. This may lead to slight discolouration when viewed from different angles. In extremely dim lighting conditions, when the screen brightness is too low, or when using dark wallpapers, these differences can be exaggerated. If the colour cast affects your normal use, take your phone to an authorized Customer service Center for assistance.

Ok Amy you have been fed a BS line there. If that was the case why does it only start after 3 days? Why does it only apply to certain LG panels? And most importantly why hasn't anyone with the BOE display had any issues?

If this is the stance Huawei is taking I'll be getting a different phone asap and would advise others to do the same.
Userlevel 1
That's pretty much made my decision as well
Userlevel 2
@Amy

Thanks for your reply, I also appreciate you letting this discussion continue as I believe it's an issue people need to be aware of.

I know nobody wants this to be an issue, both Huawei and the consumer. I love my Mate 20 Pro, but having a £900 device with a faulty screen isn't something I can get on board with as it seriously impacts the user experience and will mean in a year or so when I come to sell the device on, I will also take the hit there.

I think I speak for a lot of people here that we are all worried about Huawei's response to this because:

1. In the UK, we have 14 days to cancel the contract. If not we are stuck with it for 24 months.
  2. If after the 14 days are over and we haven't cancelled, we have another 16 days to report the issue and get a replacement device (30 days for faulty devices).
  3. After both of those, we are fully at the mercy of Huawei and from some reports on reddit, Huawei customer service are telling people this is normal and isn't a fault. I think this is what most people are very worried about.
It's the most expensive android handset out there right now. Nobody want's to be stuck with a faulty phone for of that value and for two years.

I urge Huawei to at the very least release some sort of promise that this will be fixed. I appreciate you're only relaying the message Amy and thank you again but that statement is a non promise at all and isn't reassuring in the slightest. If that is the official stance then I strongly recommend people to cancel their contract if they have this issue.
Userlevel 3
I would recommend not listening to Amy. No offence but you have a script to follow to fob ppl off. Contact Huawei direct or your supplier

I'm happy with the phone it's an amazing device so I'll keep trying till I get a working screen. I'm sure in UK we have a trade act where the goods have to be fit for purpose. Having a green screen isn't fit for purpose. So they either have to keep trying or supply something different.

I'm on My second phone at the mo and this is still an LG one so I'm expecting it to go faulty soon, if Amy is saying its normal why isn't mine doing it yet.

The BOE screens were shipped to the reviewers to get good reviews and get ppl on board so the next batch shoud b OK fingers crossed.
They swapped from LG for a reason so it's fairly obvious why in my eyes
Userlevel 1
I'm literally fingers on button to cancel ... I still want the device, I've always had a niggle re EMUI and security updates. It's really exciting to see this device challenging the best from Google and Samsung but at the moment picking up a OnePlus 6 t sim free next week is looking sensible
Userlevel 3
Neil wrote:

I'm literally fingers on button to cancel ... I still want the device, I've always had a niggle re EMUI and security updates. It's really exciting to see this device challenging the best from Google and Samsung but at the moment picking up a OnePlus 6 t sim free next week is looking sensible

This phone is far better than the 6T so no way am I going that route
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Neil wrote:

Please don't be put off, there a a number of users worldwide with this issue but they are not the majority of users.

I think its a very small batch of phones that are affected which unfortunately happens.
UK customers, you have far more power to reject/refund/return/repair under the consumer rights act beyond the initial 14 or 30 days. Do a quick Google search for consumer rights act and there's a great Which article which will help.

Some retailers don't understand the law, but these are your legal rights. Bottom line being... If goods are faulty, not as described, or not of satisfactory quality, the law is on your side and you've a lot of rights.

Retailers/manufacturers will naturally try to fob people off as this stuff costs them a lot of money. But, bottom line being, retailers are entitled to goods which are of satisfactory and fault-free standard. When they're not, then that's what the consumer rights act is for.

When manufacturers stop using LG for displays, then many of these problems wouldn't happen. They're great at creating large OLED screens, but rubbish at creating mobile phone OLED screens. Google were bitten hard by the substandard displays in the Pixel 2XL, hopefully this won't be the same for Huawei... Makes sense for Huawei to be transparent with consumers sooner rather than later!
Userlevel 1
I agree, but is it 400 quid better with the risk of a green screen plus all the other bugs being reported, and a less than great support regime is the question..

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings