Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Show first post

1856 replies

Userlevel 3
UK customers, you have far more power to reject/refund/return/repair under the consumer rights act beyond the initial 14 or 30 days. Do a quick Google search for consumer rights act and there's a great Which article which will help.

Some retailers don't understand the law, but these are your legal rights. Bottom line being... If goods are faulty, not as described, or not of satisfactory quality, the law is on your side and you've a lot of rights.

Retailers/manufacturers will naturally try to fob people off as this stuff costs them a lot of money. But, bottom line being, retailers are entitled to goods which are of satisfactory and fault-free standard. When they're not, then that's what the consumer rights act is for.

When manufacturers stop using LG for displays, then many of these problems wouldn't happen. They're great at creating large OLED screens, but rubbish at creating mobile phone OLED screens. Google were bitten hard by the substandard displays in the Pixel 2XL, hopefully this won't be the same for Huawei... Makes sense for Huawei to be transparent with consumers sooner rather than later!

Exactly what I was saying just put in a more professional way lol.
Userlevel 1

UK customers, you have far more power to reject/refund/return/repair under the consumer rights act beyond the initial 14 or 30 days. Do a quick Google search for consumer rights act and there's a great Which article which will help.

Some retailers don't understand the law, but these are your legal rights. Bottom line being... If goods are faulty, not as described, or not of satisfactory quality, the law is on your side and you've a lot of rights.

Retailers/manufacturers will naturally try to fob people off as this stuff costs them a lot of money. But, bottom line being, retailers are entitled to goods which are of satisfactory and fault-free standard. When they're not, then that's what the consumer rights act is for.

When manufacturers stop using LG for displays, then many of these problems wouldn't happen. They're great at creating large OLED screens, but rubbish at creating mobile phone OLED screens. Google were bitten hard by the substandard displays in the Pixel 2XL, hopefully this won't be the same for Huawei... Makes sense for Huawei to be transparent with consumers sooner rather than later!

Haha cheers! It's understandable people are upset, I'm annoyed as I'm going to have to get mine replaced as well, but the law is there to help. I'm about to send my Pixel 2XL back for a full refund due to screen issues/software faults despite the fact I bought it a year ago. 6 months is the deadline to be wary of, as after that you have to prove the fault was there at time of purchase (if you're looking to get refund).

Hopefully this is a dodgy batch of screens and Huawei will remember not to use LG screens in future ha
Userlevel 3

Haha cheers! It's understandable people are upset, I'm annoyed as I'm going to have to get mine replaced as well, but the law is there to help. I'm about to send my Pixel 2XL back for a full refund due to screen issues/software faults despite the fact I bought it a year ago. 6 months is the deadline to be wary of, as after that you have to prove the fault was there at time of purchase (if you're looking to get refund).

Hopefully this is a dodgy batch of screens and Huawei will remember not to use LG screens in future ha

Think they did eventually remember and changed to BOE. They thought oh well customers won't notice and we'll tell customer service to say its normal for curved screens to go green. Lol hmm Samsung have curved screens have they gone green
Bonjours je suis français, j'ai le LYA-29 j'ai le même problème que vous je vient d'appeler Huawei a qui j'ai envoyer un mail avec les différentes photo

Userlevel 3
Bonjours je suis français, j'ai le LYA-29 j'ai le même problème que vous je vient d'appeler Huawei a qui j'ai envoyer un mail avec les différentes photo

Unfortunately I don't speak French, but contact Huawei and your supplier and swap your phone.

Unfortunately I don't speak French, but contact Huawei and your supplier and swap your phone.
code:
I'm going to bring him back is take another mark by that it will be the same problem if he make me another exchange
Userlevel 2
@Amy

Thank you for your reply my frustration is with Huawei not you and for taking it out on you I apologise.

As I've not been given a time frame for a replacement device I'm going to seek a full refund today.

As for their official statement that's complete and utter dribble. Pure thoroughbred bs. Potent.

Mine is that bad my white screen is glowing green. I'm guessing LG's screens are made at the mercy of Homer Simpson inside a reactor.

Seiously not happy.
Userlevel 3
Not a free feature ;)

If you have any additional questions, please leave them in this thread. I'll try to get them all answered.

I literally just been to O2 to get a replacement. And the 1st sale assistant to take a look paused a sec and told me this is a feature! I couldn't believe it! lol
This was until a 2nd sales assistant with a mate 20 pro shows up. We look at his phone and low and behold his doesn't have this feature! 😲
Anyway I have a new one coming in a few days, I pray that this doesn't have the same problem. Or I may have to switch to another phone.! Shame as apart from the HULK screen. Love the phone!
Userlevel 3

Not a free feature ;)

If you have any additional questions, please leave them in this thread. I'll try to get them all answered.
I literally just been to O2 to get a replacement. And the 1st sale assistant to take a look paused a sec and told me this is a feature! I couldn't believe it! lol
This was until a 2nd sales assistant with a mate 20 pro shows up. We look at his phone and low and behold his doesn't have this feature! 😲
Anyway I have a new one coming in a few days, I pray that this doesn't have the same problem. Or I may have to switch to another phone.! Shame as apart from the HULK screen. Love the phone!

Thats funny they are being fed crap. I see Amy if that's her real name has vanished lol
Userlevel 3
Ooooooo mine is going green now in the top right

What a lovely feature Huawei have given us
Userlevel 2
Ooooooo mine is going green now in the top right

What a lovely feature Huawei have given us

They'll be saying next it's your phone going all hulk on you. Showing its true power.
Chalk up another green screen issue. My phone has an LG 51 screen also. Phone 1 week old exactly. Currently only on RHS edge.
Userlevel 2
The line of it being "normal for curved oled screens" is my main issue of concern here. We all know that this is not true and it comes across like an attempt for Huawei to dodge any fault.

Yes, the Consumer Rights Act is there to protect us in the UK but with Huawei taking a stance that this is normal, they are effectively trying to avoid having to replace devices. The onus is on Huawei to prove that this is normal.

I had similar issues with the p20 pro camera glass that broke very easily. Apparently that is normal too but they can't prove it.

In both cases there is a stalemate and so short of taking Huawei to court we're stuck in a blame game.

Is quite clearly company policy to pass blame and not take responsibility for poor product. I'd love for Huawei to prove me wrong on this. However, I'm finding it very hard to back the company at the moment.
Userlevel 2
Question is though, if folk jump ship what android phone do they choose? That even comes close to how fast this thing is, how great the camera is and how the battery performs.
Userlevel 1
Question is though, if folk jump ship what android phone do they choose? That even comes close to how fast this thing is, how great the camera is and how the battery performs.

I think everyone has their own unique requirements, depending on what's important to them and the less important is where a compromise is.

Personally because of where my current sim free contract is at I got a good deal to go back to a contract on the Mate 20 Pro. A one Plus 6t sim free will tick my boxes though with a compromise on camera
Userlevel 3
That is my problem! gone for a replacement and just hoping to get lucky! Huawei is to good to us a new feature and to play handset lottery all in one week! 😂
Userlevel 3
New phone ordered through vodafone. Be here in 3-5 days as they are awaiting new stock, hopefully it the BOE screen. No mention of a special feature lol.
Userlevel 2
New phone ordered through vodafone. Be here in 3-5 days as they are awaiting new stock, hopefully it the BOE screen. No mention of a special feature lol.

For me it would be the 9th if I decide to stick with it.

As mine was bought sim free I've 30 days to get a full refund. If it's deemed faulty. Thing now is, if Huawei feed their dribble to everyone what then?

I even considered the rotten fruit brand in the S variant. But they are being throttled already.

Man, tech sucks ass.
Gotta say the whole green glow situation is a joke. Maybe this was Huawei trying to copy Edge Lighting from Samsung but someone missed the memo on how its meant to work?

Also gotta say the uk customer service manager Muleya is an actual joke.. If he is your head of customer service then I would hate to see any of his staff members! Apparently though he has "internal access" which tells him exactly which ones are affected..

Why isn't something being done about it ?

If you cant offer the level of service of the big boys, don't sell at big boy prices
Userlevel 1
I just cancelled, not risking it. Good luck all
Userlevel 3
I just cancelled, not risking it. Good luck all
I don't understand what ppl are worrying about or thinking your taking a risk. Vodafone have to provide me with a fully working phone even if its passed 14 or 30 days . If they can't provide a working mate 20 then I'll get the next best available.
At the moment with this phones spec Nothing comes near so I'm happy waiting
Userlevel 3

I just cancelled, not risking it. Good luck allI don't understand what ppl are worrying about or thinking your taking a risk. Vodafone have to provide me with a fully working phone even if its passed 14 or 30 days . If they can't provide a working mate 20 then I'll get the next best available.

Some people just don't want the hassle. That's up to them. Me I am happy to wait. But some are not. Everyone is different.
Userlevel 3

I just cancelled, not risking it. Good luck allI don't understand what ppl are worrying about or thinking your taking a risk. Vodafone have to provide me with a fully working phone even if its passed 14 or 30 days . If they can't provide a working mate 20 then I'll get the next best available.
Some people just don't want the hassle. That's up to them. Me I am happy to wait. But some are not. Everyone is different.

True. But it seams ppl are panicking Coz of the time allowed by the carrier.
Userlevel 3

True. But it seams ppl are panicking Coz of the time allowed by the carrier.

I think people just want a acknowledgement for what is happening and to know what to do. Nobody likes being in the dark when it is directly effecting them. Me, as much as the situation is annoying would like a statement from Huawei just to say yes we know we are looking into this problem. As I think you are, I will wait and keep replacing until I get a good one I think. As not much out there that touches this phone atm.
Ordered a replacement from EE. Just waiting stock.