Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Show first post

1853 replies

I can see I'm not the only one with this issue which at first I thought was my eyes posting tricks on me but got progressively worse over the last 2 days. I spoke to Huawei and after telling me all the rubbish about it being a normal feature they told me to contact my retailer for a replacement device or a refund. I explained that I can't as the Twilight version is no longer in stock and I do not want the black variant, if I get a refund and purchase where I will lose out on the promotional offer I am currently entitled to (Huawei watch gt and wireless charger. They said the only other option is to send the phone off to Huawei for 10 days for them to repair but as the phone is so new the is no guarantee that they will have the necessary parts to repair my phone. I feel my phone should just be replaced straight away by Huawei, I don't see why my phone that isn't even a week old is being sent away for repairs! I can see the discolouration in a brightly lit room such as my work place of the gym and also in natural lighting (outdoors).

I'm so disappointed in huaweis response! I agree with all those saying Huawei should simply accept responsibility.

This has also started to happen on my Mate 20 Pro. It wasn't there (or I didn't notice) it when I received it last Friday, but it's definitely starting to appear on the left hand side of the display. Got 7 days left in my cooling-off period with O2, but watching this thread (and those on reddit) with interest.

Device is LYA-L09
Screen is LG-01-18-10-43
Userlevel 3
This has also started to happen on my Mate 20 Pro. It wasn't there (or I didn't notice) it when I received it last Friday, but it's definitely starting to appear on the left hand side of the display. Got 7 days left in my cooling-off period with O2, but watching this thread (and those on reddit) with interest.

Device is LYA-L09
Screen is LG-01-18-10-43

Don't worry about the 7days left the phones are faulty so they have to provide you with a fully working mate 20 or an alternative phone which is same spec.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I've got the lg screen as well and after reading this thread and getting paranoid I tried but failed replicate these screen issues. Hopefully it doesn't develop over time but just so folk know it's not all the lg screens that are having this problem.

Regards Jase.
Userlevel 2
Another LG 43 here, 7 days old and beginning to glow green under the conditions suggested (night mode, darkest screen brightness, open dialer).
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Another LG 43 here, 7 days old and beginning to glow green under the conditions suggested (night mode, darkest screen brightness, open dialer).
If I follow your suggestions I can see it a tiny tiny bit at the very edges of the screen, I'd never see this under normal circumstances in a million years but will be keeping a close eye on it just in case it gets worse.
Userlevel 3

Have the same issue with an L09 model and LG screen. Really love the phone so will probably just try and get an exchange with Vodafone. Does anybody know if this will affect the pre order offer? Because I know they track the claim by the IMEI
Userlevel 3
Call them
Userlevel 3
And another one. My brother who got the phone on release like me (lg screen also) has told me his has just started to show the HULK! 😑😑 Just wow
Userlevel 3
Have the same issue with an L09 model and LG screen. Really love the phone so will probably just try and get an exchange with Vodafone. Does anybody know if this will affect the pre order offer? Because I know they track the claim by the IMEI
Don't worry. Get your proof of purchase and your fine. I Got my Pop yesterday and this phone is being changed for a second 3rd time

Have the same issue with an L09 model and LG screen. Really love the phone so will probably just try and get an exchange with Vodafone. Does anybody know if this will affect the pre order offer? Because I know they track the claim by the IMEIDon't worry. Get your proof of purchase and your fine. I Got my Pop yesterday and this phone is being changed for a second 3rd time

Yea I've submitted the claim and everything, was just worried they might see the phone was returned and cancel the offer or something.

That's what worries me about replacing the handset; getting another one with the same screen and having to change it multiple times. Really cba with all that hassle
Userlevel 2
So tried calling up the number just to chance it and the person on the phone word for word read the official statement. It's very disappointing they're not trying to address this.

I had to ask for the person on the phone to take my details and give me a case number just to log my complaint. I assure everyone else to do the same.
I called up too, after 15 minutes on the phone to an agent I requested to speak to a manager who also word for word read me this official statement. After explaining that I'm not stupid and I know this isn't normal and my issues are occurring at all times he said he had to read the official statement. After another 10 minutes they offered to repair it themselves.
I've decided to send my phone directly to Huawei to be repaired.
It's insulting to tell us that a green screen is "normal".
Userlevel 2
I called up too, after 15 minutes on the phone to an agent I requested to speak to a manager who also word for word read me this official statement. After explaining that I'm not stupid and I know this isn't normal and my issues are occurring at all times he said he had to read the official statement. After another 10 minutes they offered to repair it themselves.

Well that's interesting that they're willing to repair it. Even though it shouldn't require it as it's a week old! It should just be a straight swap. Still keep us informed of how that works.

Well that's interesting that they're willing to repair it. Even though it shouldn't require it as it's a week old! It should just be a straight swap. Still keep us informed of how that works.

Exactly. They said they can't do a straight swap as they don't sell devices. 😑
Userlevel 3
Going a bit viral now Huawei 😳 #gluegate

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_responds_to_the_mate_20_pros_screen_light_bleeding_issue-news-34037.php

https://www.heapooh.com/mobile/android/the-color-shifting-issues-on-the-mate-20-pro-is-getting-popular-gluegate/

Got my hand on a website though lol 😂😂
Evening all, just adding my experience to the pot as it was helpful finding this thread (as well as those one reddit). L09 Model & LG Screen before I get into it.

I spoke to CS at Huawei & could audibly hear the resignation in the voice of the woman I was speaking to. At the mention of screen defect she began reading her script - seems like it *must* be an issue if i'm being schooled on 'normal' OLED behaviour before I've had a chance to explain *my* issue. She was fairly sympathetic but also would not admit that this is actually issue and offered a repair with them (but it may take a while due to parts) or that I should go back to the retailer. Got a ref number (after asking) so atleast I have a long string of numbers to wave about should I need to follow up again.

Shame as disregarding the screen issue I was quite enjoying the phone - will aim for a replacement but I'm not sure now how much confidence I have in Huawei & any future devices. I hope to be surprised but that'll remain to be seen!

Let's see how this plays out.
Another unhappy user here. Mine wasn't as bad as some other's photos but still the same problem down the right hand side. A real shame because it's a great phone otherwise.
I've had a replacement from the supplier so will see. If this one shows the same problem I'll have to exchange for something else.
Userlevel 2
Now visable at 100% in ambient light. Been told I can wait until the 9th for a replacement, get a full refund or swap to another device. But in terms of spec what even comes close to this?

Userlevel 3
Thought I'd add pics of mine since it's getting worse. The side of the screen looks like it's dying now

Also bonus video at:

https://gfycat.com/ForkedEasygoingGrasshopper

Userlevel 3
Thought I'd add pics of mine since it's getting worse. The side of the screen looks like it's dying now

Also bonus video at:

Impressive! So what angle do Huawei suggest you look at your screen not to get the green HULK screen? 😑😳

Also what image you using. Really brings out the green in your phone! This make mine look normal!
Userlevel 2

Also bonus video at:

Holy fooooooookkk that's toxic.
Userlevel 3

Also bonus video at:

Holy fooooooookkk that's toxic.

It's meant to do that. It's a feature form Huawei
Userlevel 3

Also bonus video at:

Impressive! So what angle do Huawei suggest you look at your screen not to get the green HULK screen? 😑😳

Also what image you using. Really brings out the green in your phone! This make mine look normal!

I was using this image https://orig00.deviantart.net/4758/f/2018/214/e/2/dark_grey_wallpaper_4k_by_idrawedit-dcizgn3.png

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings