Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Show first post

1856 replies

My status on the sbe tracker has changed from awaiting component to with repair engineer. Has everyone that has had a new phone sent to them had this on their status? Im a bit paranoid after my last experience with sbe and want to make sure im getting a new phone and they're not going to attempt to repair it. HaGood luck! Mine has been like this for 1 month now! Im just speaking to Vodafone as i am sick of paying for a phone i don't currently have!

I know how you feel! I received mine at the end of November and i must of used the thing for a total of 5 days. Its the second time it has been sent to SBE because they sent it back to me saying there was no fault found the 1st time. I had to send proof of the green screen to Huawei and send it back to SBE, its been a joke all round to be honest. I've just spoken to SBE but it was pretty much a waste of time. Can see me paying at least 3 bills maybe 4 but not had any phone in that time.
My status on the sbe tracker has changed from awaiting component to with repair engineer. Has everyone that has had a new phone sent to them had this on their status? Im a bit paranoid after my last experience with sbe and want to make sure im getting a new phone and they're not going to attempt to repair it. Ha

Good luck! Mine has been like this for 1 month now! Im just speaking to Vodafone as i am sick of paying for a phone i don't currently have!
My status on the sbe tracker has changed from awaiting component to with repair engineer. Has everyone that has had a new phone sent to them had this on their status? Im a bit paranoid after my last experience with sbe and want to make sure im getting a new phone and they're not going to attempt to repair it. Ha
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Lol like it says in the title?

I'm going to have another coffee and rest now..... :-)

Steve
Userlevel 3
I mentioned that my P20 Pro phone did not display the touchscreen line on Device Info HW but after rooting it displays:

synaptics-CLTE500900-Samsung-01-06-01-07

My phone has no symptoms of green screen bleeding etc.

Hope this helps

Steve

Here is problem with mate20pro you have p20pro lol
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I mentioned that my P20 Pro phone did not display the touchscreen line on Device Info HW but after rooting it displays:

synaptics-CLTE500900-Samsung-01-06-01-07

My phone has no symptoms of green screen bleeding etc.

Hope this helps

Steve
Also I don't think Virgin should have taken that stance. I spoke to Huawei through HiCare and the guy said *in his own words*, they do recognise they have an issue with the screens and they accept there is a fault..!! Then.. I spoke to one o2 guy who said that Huawei used two companies to source the screens and that one of them had faulty hardware and so o2 have no idea how many devices are out that are faulty.. Where did that guy get his info from??? I told the resolution dept all of this and obviously they keep recordings so they couldn't deny it.

I think I will report this to watchdog!
Really sorry you're all dealing with a similarly dire situation..
Its almost as if they have gone ahead and released half baked watches and subsidised a massive mate 20 Pro rollout by comprising on the source quality of the screens.. Idk..

Your screens are a lot worse than mine for sure. When I'm watching stuff it then really starts to show and seems to affect the video quality... Also makes photography a pain as everything is tinged in a green light...

Tbh I somehow have managed to get o2 on board. Initially the people I spoke to weren't a help and I got daisy chained around loads of different departments, but after I'd put in a complaint with how it was all handled I got a call from customer resolution dept who then went on to apologise for the hassle I've had!?! I had to explain the issue for the nth time but I explained that I'm not going to pay for a contract whilst o2 give me a much lower quality phone as a replacement for a fault that is entirely out of my control. I've maintained that position the whole time and I think it did help that I'd noticed the problem within the first cooling off period.

Anyway.. I'm getting a call today from resolutions to let me know if there are any phones in stock to replace.. Yesterday the lady said she couldn't tell me when they would have new stock as they have no dates ahead for stock to come in.. I'm not hopeful..

The camera is amazing and the phone is mostly great but I'm going to cancel the contract completely and I'll let you know when I've done it.

Apparently I just need to return the phone to o2 with jiffy bag and I can walk off into the next two years without these chains around my neck!!

I pre-ordered two mate 20 pro devices from Virgin Media here in the UK around September 21st. Since then, both devices have developed the green screen issue. Unfortunately the issue wasn't noticeable at first and it was only after my 14 day cooling off period ended that I started to see the issue.

I have attached two images of each of my devices which clearly illustrate just how bad my phones green issues are.

I have complained to Virgin Mobile on around 5-6 occasions but they always tell me that I should have returned the devices during the 14 day cooling off period and now its past this time, they are telling me I have to pay to have the devices inspected and repaired.

They don't believe me when I say that its a manufacturers fault. I am not just saying there is an issue for the sake of it! If Huawei announced this issue officially then maybe Virgin mobile would be aware of it and replace me phones with no hassle.

I have been in touch with Huawei who sent me two jiffy bags to send my phones off for replacement but now I am sitting with two defective devices, in a 2 year contract that I can't use, and am worried to send to SBE (Huawei's mobile repair company here in the UK) for replacement as I keep hearing more and more horror stories of no them having no replacement stock or people getting faulty damaged phones back, sometimes with worse damage.

I am completely regretting buying these devices. They were my first Huawei phones and will probably be my last ones now.
Hi Mate,

I'm in the Exact same boat; Also with Virgin and they have told me the exact same thing. - They even sent me a Deadlock letter basically saying there's nothing they can do.

Let me know if you have any Joy ;- My Device has been with Huawei since the beginning of December, and they haven't had stock to replace it yet.. so i'm paying my contract for a phone i don't physically have at the moment lol.

Literally just off the phone to a Virgin Mobile manager there. She has advised me to book my two mate 20 pro devices in for repair with them, not SBE. She said that if I get a replacement device from Huawei that is still broken then it wont match up with the device Virgin sold me and it would make cancelling or replacing the device with Virgin more difficult. If that makes sense?

The manager had no knowledge of this issue prior to me calling in apparently so I directed here to this webpage and she was able to see the thousands of comments and how big the issue actually is.

She is sending me two jiffy bags in the post within 2 working days and then their technical team are going to assess the phones and get back to me within 5 working days after that. She is now letting me send these devices for free. Initially I was quoted £234 to send them as Virgin said I damaged my phones. I was told now that the total turnaround for a fixed phone should be two weeks.

I've been asked to include a summary, and some images, of the issue in my jiffy bags when I send them so the technical team can get a better understanding of the problem.

I asked about compensation as I am paying £66 per month for each of these unusable phones, but she has offered nothing (same as the other 5 agents I've spoke with over the last few weeks).

I don't have high hopes for this working out but at least if I give Virgin Mobile a chance to resolve it then I can hopefully cancel my contract if they can't supply me with a fully working device again.

I also phoned SBE (Huawei's repair centre in UK) today around 3pm. I spoke with a woman who advised me to hold off sending my devices in until next week as they are struggling with "a huge backlog". She couldn't tell me when stock was due in or how long of a turnaround it would take to me recieving a new device. She couldn't even guarantee me that I'd even get a brand new device.

I think I'm going to go the Virgin Mobile route to be safe as it's them who I have my contracts with.

Hope you can get yours sorted.
Userlevel 4
I'm on my 3rd replacement from o2 and Huawei. I'm now going to cancel the o2 contract with o2. O2 have agreed that there doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem as I am already on the 3rd phone. If any one else is having this problem please let me know.. I think the camera and phone is great. I've just had three faulty phones and I don't have the patience to get a fourth..

I had issues with my 3 replacements from O2. In the end I went down the jiffy bag route and now have a Boe screen that doesn't seem to have any issues. In fact O2 refunded me a months contract to cover the fact that I had to send the device off to be repaired. If you can get a working screen then it's a great phone. Just a shame it seems so hard to do at the moment
Userlevel 1
Hi, I have had replaced my phone two times and its fine since that time. Only sometimes in YouTube with dark theme it looks like its partially faulty, like some parts of screen aren't as bright as others, but when I lock screen and turn it on again its fixed. I also didn't receive my preorder bundle. Should be here on 24th December.
It appears that my post has been moderated.

Does it mean that Huawei cares and listens or they don't care but just don't want to be abused?????

You know you deserved it.
Userlevel 1
Hi Mate,

I'm in the Exact same boat; Also with Virgin and they have told me the exact same thing. - They even sent me a Deadlock letter basically saying there's nothing they can do.

Let me know if you have any Joy ;- My Device has been with Huawei since the beginning of December, and they haven't had stock to replace it yet.. so i'm paying my contract for a phone i don't physically have at the moment lol.

Sorry, I've just read you sent your phone to SBE already. The manager at virgin did say it was still an option for them to help if I did decide to deal with the manufacturer directly and if they send me a bad phone. She just said it would be less hassle to deal with Virgin direct.

Hopefully everyone gets this sorted soon. I just want a usable phone for the money I'm paying.

It hasn't been an easy process at all 😞
Userlevel 1

I pre-ordered two mate 20 pro devices from Virgin Media here in the UK around September 21st. Since then, both devices have developed the green screen issue. Unfortunately the issue wasn't noticeable at first and it was only after my 14 day cooling off period ended that I started to see the issue.

I have attached two images of each of my devices which clearly illustrate just how bad my phones green issues are.

I have complained to Virgin Mobile on around 5-6 occasions but they always tell me that I should have returned the devices during the 14 day cooling off period and now its past this time, they are telling me I have to pay to have the devices inspected and repaired.

They don't believe me when I say that its a manufacturers fault. I am not just saying there is an issue for the sake of it! If Huawei announced this issue officially then maybe Virgin mobile would be aware of it and replace me phones with no hassle.

I have been in touch with Huawei who sent me two jiffy bags to send my phones off for replacement but now I am sitting with two defective devices, in a 2 year contract that I can't use, and am worried to send to SBE (Huawei's mobile repair company here in the UK) for replacement as I keep hearing more and more horror stories of no them having no replacement stock or people getting faulty damaged phones back, sometimes with worse damage.

I am completely regretting buying these devices. They were my first Huawei phones and will probably be my last ones now.
Hi Mate,

Literally just off the phone to a Virgin Mobile manager there. She has advised me to book my two mate 20 pro devices in for repair with them, not SBE. She said that if I get a replacement device from Huawei that is still broken then it wont match up with the device Virgin sold me and it would make cancelling or replacing the device with Virgin more difficult. If that makes sense?

The manager had no knowledge of this issue prior to me calling in apparently so I directed here to this webpage and she was able to see the thousands of comments and how big the issue actually is.

She is sending me two jiffy bags in the post within 2 working days and then their technical team are going to assess the phones and get back to me within 5 working days after that. She is now letting me send these devices for free. Initially I was quoted £234 to send them as Virgin said I damaged my phones. I was told now that the total turnaround for a fixed phone should be two weeks.

I've been asked to include a summary, and some images, of the issue in my jiffy bags when I send them so the technical team can get a better understanding of the problem.

I asked about compensation as I am paying £66 per month for each of these unusable phones, but she has offered nothing (same as the other 5 agents I've spoke with over the last few weeks).

I don't have high hopes for this working out but at least if I give Virgin Mobile a chance to resolve it then I can hopefully cancel my contract if they can't supply me with a fully working device again.

I also phoned SBE (Huawei's repair centre in UK) today around 3pm. I spoke with a woman who advised me to hold off sending my devices in until next week as they are struggling with "a huge backlog". She couldn't tell me when stock was due in or how long of a turnaround it would take to me recieving a new device. She couldn't even guarantee me that I'd even get a brand new device.

I think I'm going to go the Virgin Mobile route to be safe as it's them who I have my contracts with.

Hope you can get yours sorted.
Not sure how many there are still actively patrolling this forum, but if you, like me, feel aggrieved by this whole situation, feel free to send a message in to Watchdog by this link - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
Appreciate it might not get anywhere, but I'm completely fed up by now and somehow doubt the 'Email the CEO' service will get me anywhere! I've sent a quick message in myself, so if we can get a fair few messages sent over maybe they can do some investigating for us - perhaps Huawei would care about their remaining UK consumers a tad more if the BBC approached - especially considering their less than favourable position with a few western countries already!
I'm on my 3rd replacement from o2 and Huawei. I'm now going to cancel the o2 contract with o2. O2 have agreed that there doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem as I am already on the 3rd phone. If any one else is having this problem please let me know.. I think the camera and phone is great. I've just had three faulty phones and I don't have the patience to get a fourth..
Hello there.

I'd like to know if there are any others who are experiencing problems with their mate 20 pro. Since I got my phone in October, I am now on my 3rd iteration.
Not only that, but I purchased the phone with the a promotional offer of the new GT watch with Wireless charger. I was supposed to have received that already but after having called Huawei Promotions today, (and being told they aren't even part of Huawei, just a third party) I was told that they've had a lot more demand than the expected.. And then their delivery company went on holiday.. and whatever.. not the end users problem, I'm certain of that..

So that hasn't arrived. I noticed that the phone had a strange green hue all around the edges of the screen and so within the first 2 weeks of owning it, I returned it to o2 store and they replaced it.
After another week or so, my new phone then displayed the same problems as before and got progressively worse.

After speaking to Huawei through Hicare, they said they would have to replace the phone as only they could guarantee that it would not be a faulty phone.. I had to decline that offer as they said it may take up to 4 weeks to collect phone and return new one... O2 were not willing to offer me a replacement of the same quality, and Huawei could not offer anything either.. This has left me with very few options.. I don't think it's ok that I have had three faulty phones and no honest admittance from Huawei regarding this matter.. Then to top it off to have been fobbed off with the promotion... It's a terrible experience..

Regarding this faulty screen matter, o2 have decided they will honour a complete contract termination without having to pay any extra costs.

I advise all of you who have problems with the mate 20 along the same lines to do the same!
I get the feeling that no one wants to give us an answer. They say we can leave feedback with other departments etc no one gives us a straight answer.
Have you been offered any compensation for your contract that your paying for and can’t use? As I haven’t I have asked Huawei but they not getting back to me or just ignoring/avoiding the question? I have had 3 devices since launch end of October and prob had 2 weeks use between all of them. Stuck with an old iPhone that needs constant charging.
Many thanks

When I called Huawei the other day and asked if they were planning on sorting out any form of compensation it was a very generic and uninspiring answer. To be fair to the poor lad on the other end of the phone he did seem very apologetic and dismayed himself, but he said all he could do was leave my comments in the call feedback notes on his end. The way Huawei have acted throughout this debacle is terrible, especially to think that this is supposed to be their new flagship device. Don't suppose any of you lot happen to know anyone who works on Watchdog? 😂
Have you been offered any compensation for your contract that your paying for and can’t use? As I haven’t I have asked Huawei but they not getting back to me or just ignoring/avoiding the question? I have had 3 devices since launch end of October and prob had 2 weeks use between all of them. Stuck with an old iPhone that needs constant charging.
Many thanks
I am worried about what state of phone that I will get back if and when Huawei get back to me. They still saying awaiting component (new batch) it’s gone beyond a joke now.
After having a replacement phone from SBE for the whole 5 days my superb BOA screen has developed a green line from top to bottom.

Hi Mate,

We all been having these issues. I had my phone replaced twice by Vodafone. Since gone directly through Huawei. Although I’ve been waiting nearly a month for any news on when I’m getting it back
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Truly awful behaviour from huawei. How can I ever buy one of these phones knowing that the customer service is so bad?

Theyve ruined the whole pleasure of purchasing what should have been the coolest phone out.

Im still struggling on with a failing IPhone 6 because I can’t face parting with a grand for a new Xs max. I see very little benefit in doing so but also cannot throw myself onto the random forces of nature that determines if i get a LG or boe m20pro or if indeed that phone works and having to deal with their incompetent repair company.

Ill struggle on and hope that something else attracts my attention.

Hi @j200george

Just wanted to say that this really hasn’t been my experience at all. I’ve found my dealings with Huawei customer services to be incredibly efficient and friendly. I also had an iPhone 6 and struggled with making the leap but am now truly converted. The Mate 20 Pro is an amazing device. The battery life has been truly transformative (having been ruled by my awful iPhone battery for so long). I understand your reticence reading the posts in this thread but this really is the vocal minority. In addition any teething issues will have been worked out now. Why not go for it and get yourself a great phone for the new year? You can always return if you feel it doesn’t deliver. Every day you stall is a day you’re missing out.
Userlevel 4
Truly awful behaviour from huawei. How can I ever buy one of these phones knowing that the customer service is so bad?

Theyve ruined the whole pleasure of purchasing what should have been the coolest phone out.

Im still struggling on with a failing IPhone 6 because I can’t face parting with a grand for a new Xs max. I see very little benefit in doing so but also cannot throw myself onto the random forces of nature that determines if i get a LG or boe m20pro or if indeed that phone works and having to deal with their incompetent repair company.

Ill struggle on and hope that something else attracts my attention.