Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Show first post

1856 replies

Userlevel 3

Thought I'd add pics of mine since it's getting worse. The side of the screen looks like it's dying now

Also bonus video at:

https://gfycat.com/ForkedEasygoingGrasshopper
Impressive! So what angle do Huawei suggest you look at your screen not to get the green HULK screen? πŸ˜‘πŸ˜³

Also what image you using. Really brings out the green in your phone! This make mine look normal!
I was using this image https://orig00.deviantart.net/4758/f/2018/214/e/2/dark_grey_wallpaper_4k_by_idrawedit-dcizgn3.png

Cheers will keep that one it works well. Congratulations you have the worst I have seen out of everywhere I have looked! Hey Huawei! This a normal feature then!? #gluegate

Hi all,

All info I have now:

The Mate 20 Pro uses an industry-leading flexible OLED screen featuring special design curved edges for an enhanced visual experience and holding comfort. This may lead to slight discolouration when viewed from different angles. In extremely dim lighting conditions, when the screen brightness is too low, or when using dark wallpapers, these differences can be exaggerated. If the colour cast affects your normal use, take your phone to an authorized Customer service Center for assistance.
Ok Amy you have been fed a BS line there. If that was the case why does it only start after 3 days? Why does it only apply to certain LG panels? And most importantly why hasn't anyone with the BOE display had any issues?

If this is the stance Huawei is taking I'll be getting a different phone asap and would advise others to do the same.

People had this problem within 1 to 7 days of usage, some people had the problem out of the box, on some chinese website there's reports with the BOE screen having the same exact issue.

I'd like to think that the problem is not in LG screens at all but that it may be assembled in a different factory, or used a batch of faulty internal hardware that makes the screen go bad.
Userlevel 2
Thought I'd add pics of mine since it's getting worse. The side of the screen looks like it's dying now

Also bonus video at:

https://gfycat.com/ForkedEasygoingGrasshopper

Oh my god. That's the worst I've seen. Almost makes mine look normal.
Also to add, I visited the support branch from the company I got the contract and phone from.
I have asked them about this issue and was told they are aware from the Huawei that users are experiencing this globally ,then I asked if there were any reports and was told that over a few thousands devices sold there was 0 complains on this exact problem. Checking Austrian forums and mobile tech websites provided no results.

Also told by support that this is 100% a faulty device and if it would happen to any user they would give a replacement without voiding the warranty of the contract or so.

If you are offered repair you have to decline that, this is a faulty device and MUST be replaced with a fully working one, it's your rights as a customer.
I'v got the LAY L29 And it too suffer fro a bad green light bleed on the right of the screen and on the top...

Hello, we also meet this problem in France and are shocked by the response of huawei who finds it normal
Userlevel 3
Updated.

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_responds_to_the_mate_20_pros_screen_light_bleeding_issue-news-34037.php
Userlevel 2
Updated.

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_responds_to_the_mate_20_pros_screen_light_bleeding_issue-news-34037.php

I read that last night. It's somewhat reassuring
I've got the same issue although not as bad as some. Noticed it when I first got it but it is definitely getting worse over time.

Very annoying when watching videos etc.

Shame as its such a great device, just needs some software tweaks in my opinion. Prefer this thing to my iPhone X,8 and my Note 9!
Userlevel 2
Anyone had any luck getting a replacement with EE? I'm going into their shop today to return the faulty device and ask for a new one, assuming there is still stock. As this is still within the 14 day cooling off period would I be within my rights to request an equivalent device (pixel 3 xl, note 9 etc) whilst honouring my contract if it came to that? Not that I want that, the m20p is still the phone I want. Just one that doesn't look like this

Userlevel 4
Greenglow, you may have to pay the difference as the Huawei mate 20 pro was the cheapest contract deal from Three (now I know why). I have exchanged mine with a Google pixel 3, which I ended up payingΒ£50 more for. Will be here some time next week. Hopefully it should be smooth sailing.
In Russia we have the same problem.

How can I see who the screen maker is?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Anyone had any luck getting a replacement with EE? I'm going into their shop today to return the faulty device and ask for a new one, assuming there is still stock. As this is still within the 14 day cooling off period would I be within my rights to request an equivalent device (pixel 3 xl, note 9 etc) whilst honouring my contract if it came to that? Not that I want that, the m20p is still the phone I want. Just one that doesn't look like this

Some retailers have twilight stock issues due to demand but your retail should swap it without issue.
Userlevel 2
In Russia we have the same problem.

How can I see who the screen maker is?

Download Device Info HW app from play store.
Userlevel 2
Vodafone have estimated they will have new stock from Huawei by Tuesday so will get one soon after and keep tabs on it. I'm hoping that Huawei have fixed the issue behind the scenes and this whole PR exercise with no real statement on the issue is to save face.
I phoned huawei today regarding this matter as my phone started doing this a few days ago. Was asked to email them picture which I have done. Will see what happens
Userlevel 2
Ive just been into iSmash (the service center that Huawei tell us to get in touch with) and they have no clue about this issue. The guy behind the counter said it's definitely a hardware fault though from what he could tell... Story thickens.
The women on the phone said it might just be because of the Oled screen. I not buying that though

'Can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest Green?'

I called up too, after 15 minutes on the phone to an agent I requested to speak to a manager who also word for word read me this official statement. After explaining that I'm not stupid and I know this isn't normal and my issues are occurring at all times he said he had to read the official statement. After another 10 minutes they offered to repair it themselves.
I've decided to send my phone directly to Huawei to be repaired.
It's insulting to tell us that a green screen is "normal".
Well that's interesting that they're willing to repair it. Even though it shouldn't require it as it's a week old! It should just be a straight swap. Still keep us informed of how that works.
Exactly. They said they can't do a straight swap as they don't sell devices. -_-

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_finland_will_replace_mate_20_pro_handsest_with_faulty_screens-news-34052.php

interesting, I'll be calling up Huawei tomorrow about this
Userlevel 2

I called up too, after 15 minutes on the phone to an agent I requested to speak to a manager who also word for word read me this official statement. After explaining that I'm not stupid and I know this isn't normal and my issues are occurring at all times he said he had to read the official statement. After another 10 minutes they offered to repair it themselves.
Well that's interesting that they're willing to repair it. Even though it shouldn't require it as it's a week old! It should just be a straight swap. Still keep us informed of how that works.
Exactly. They said they can't do a straight swap as they don't sell devices. -_-
https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_finland_will_replace_mate_20_pro_handsest_with_faulty_screens-news-34052.php

I was told by huawei this is a problem and to take it back to the store for a new one as mine was an LG screen. I changed mine today and got one with a BOE screen so hopefully I won't have any issues now.
Userlevel 3

I was told by huawei this is a problem and to take it back to the store for a new one as mine was an LG screen. I changed mine today and got one with a BOE screen so hopefully I won't have any issues now.

Nice to know. Where did you purchase yours from?
Userlevel 2

I got mine from o2. I had the black one and when I downloaded hw info app it told me I had an LG screen, just checked this new one and the screen is made by BOE and from what I have been reading they haven't got any issues.
Userlevel 3

I got mine from o2. I had the black one and when I downloaded hw info app it told me I had an LG screen, just checked this new one and the screen is made by BOE and from what I have been reading they haven't got any issues.

Cool I am on O2 as well. But twighlight so the beginning of next week for me. Hopefully the BOE screen 2 🀞🏻😳
Userlevel 2

Cool I am on O2 as well. But twighlight so the beginning of next week for me. Hopefully the BOE screen 2 🀞🏻😳

Hopefully you get lucky think it's just luck of the draw what screen you get. Maybe all preorders were LG screens.