Mate 20 Pro green edges on screen

Show first post

1856 replies

Bonjours je suis français, j'ai le LYA-29 j'ai le même problème que vous je vient d'appeler Huawei a qui j'ai envoyer un mail avec les différentes photo

Unfortunately I don't speak French, but contact Huawei and your supplier and swap your phone.
code:
I'm going to bring him back is take another mark by that it will be the same problem if he make me another exchange
Userlevel 3
Bonjours je suis français, j'ai le LYA-29 j'ai le même problème que vous je vient d'appeler Huawei a qui j'ai envoyer un mail avec les différentes photo

Unfortunately I don't speak French, but contact Huawei and your supplier and swap your phone.

Userlevel 3

UK customers, you have far more power to reject/refund/return/repair under the consumer rights act beyond the initial 14 or 30 days. Do a quick Google search for consumer rights act and there's a great Which article which will help.

Some retailers don't understand the law, but these are your legal rights. Bottom line being... If goods are faulty, not as described, or not of satisfactory quality, the law is on your side and you've a lot of rights.

Retailers/manufacturers will naturally try to fob people off as this stuff costs them a lot of money. But, bottom line being, retailers are entitled to goods which are of satisfactory and fault-free standard. When they're not, then that's what the consumer rights act is for.

When manufacturers stop using LG for displays, then many of these problems wouldn't happen. They're great at creating large OLED screens, but rubbish at creating mobile phone OLED screens. Google were bitten hard by the substandard displays in the Pixel 2XL, hopefully this won't be the same for Huawei... Makes sense for Huawei to be transparent with consumers sooner rather than later!
Exactly what I was saying just put in a more professional way lol.
Haha cheers! It's understandable people are upset, I'm annoyed as I'm going to have to get mine replaced as well, but the law is there to help. I'm about to send my Pixel 2XL back for a full refund due to screen issues/software faults despite the fact I bought it a year ago. 6 months is the deadline to be wary of, as after that you have to prove the fault was there at time of purchase (if you're looking to get refund).

Hopefully this is a dodgy batch of screens and Huawei will remember not to use LG screens in future ha

Think they did eventually remember and changed to BOE. They thought oh well customers won't notice and we'll tell customer service to say its normal for curved screens to go green. Lol hmm Samsung have curved screens have they gone green
Userlevel 1

UK customers, you have far more power to reject/refund/return/repair under the consumer rights act beyond the initial 14 or 30 days. Do a quick Google search for consumer rights act and there's a great Which article which will help.

Some retailers don't understand the law, but these are your legal rights. Bottom line being... If goods are faulty, not as described, or not of satisfactory quality, the law is on your side and you've a lot of rights.

Retailers/manufacturers will naturally try to fob people off as this stuff costs them a lot of money. But, bottom line being, retailers are entitled to goods which are of satisfactory and fault-free standard. When they're not, then that's what the consumer rights act is for.

When manufacturers stop using LG for displays, then many of these problems wouldn't happen. They're great at creating large OLED screens, but rubbish at creating mobile phone OLED screens. Google were bitten hard by the substandard displays in the Pixel 2XL, hopefully this won't be the same for Huawei... Makes sense for Huawei to be transparent with consumers sooner rather than later!

Haha cheers! It's understandable people are upset, I'm annoyed as I'm going to have to get mine replaced as well, but the law is there to help. I'm about to send my Pixel 2XL back for a full refund due to screen issues/software faults despite the fact I bought it a year ago. 6 months is the deadline to be wary of, as after that you have to prove the fault was there at time of purchase (if you're looking to get refund).

Hopefully this is a dodgy batch of screens and Huawei will remember not to use LG screens in future ha
Userlevel 3

Userlevel 1
I agree, but is it 400 quid better with the risk of a green screen plus all the other bugs being reported, and a less than great support regime is the question..
Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I'm literally fingers on button to cancel ... I still want the device, I've always had a niggle re EMUI and security updates. It's really exciting to see this device challenging the best from Google and Samsung but at the moment picking up a OnePlus 6 t sim free next week is looking sensible
Please don't be put off, there a a number of users worldwide with this issue but they are not the majority of users.

I think its a very small batch of phones that are affected which unfortunately happens.
Userlevel 3
I'm literally fingers on button to cancel ... I still want the device, I've always had a niggle re EMUI and security updates. It's really exciting to see this device challenging the best from Google and Samsung but at the moment picking up a OnePlus 6 t sim free next week is looking sensible
This phone is far better than the 6T so no way am I going that route
Userlevel 1
Userlevel 3
I would recommend not listening to Amy. No offence but you have a script to follow to fob ppl off. Contact Huawei direct or your supplier

I'm happy with the phone it's an amazing device so I'll keep trying till I get a working screen. I'm sure in UK we have a trade act where the goods have to be fit for purpose. Having a green screen isn't fit for purpose. So they either have to keep trying or supply something different.

I'm on My second phone at the mo and this is still an LG one so I'm expecting it to go faulty soon, if Amy is saying its normal why isn't mine doing it yet.

The BOE screens were shipped to the reviewers to get good reviews and get ppl on board so the next batch shoud b OK fingers crossed.
They swapped from LG for a reason so it's fairly obvious why in my eyes
Userlevel 2
@Amy

Thanks for your reply, I also appreciate you letting this discussion continue as I believe it's an issue people need to be aware of.

I know nobody wants this to be an issue, both Huawei and the consumer. I love my Mate 20 Pro, but having a £900 device with a faulty screen isn't something I can get on board with as it seriously impacts the user experience and will mean in a year or so when I come to sell the device on, I will also take the hit there.

I think I speak for a lot of people here that we are all worried about Huawei's response to this because:

1. In the UK, we have 14 days to cancel the contract. If not we are stuck with it for 24 months.
  2. If after the 14 days are over and we haven't cancelled, we have another 16 days to report the issue and get a replacement device (30 days for faulty devices).
  3. After both of those, we are fully at the mercy of Huawei and from some reports on reddit, Huawei customer service are telling people this is normal and isn't a fault. I think this is what most people are very worried about.
It's the most expensive android handset out there right now. Nobody want's to be stuck with a faulty phone for of that value and for two years.

I urge Huawei to at the very least release some sort of promise that this will be fixed. I appreciate you're only relaying the message Amy and thank you again but that statement is a non promise at all and isn't reassuring in the slightest. If that is the official stance then I strongly recommend people to cancel their contract if they have this issue.
Userlevel 1
That's pretty much made my decision as well
Userlevel 2
Hi all,

All info I have now:

The Mate 20 Pro uses an industry-leading flexible OLED screen featuring special design curved edges for an enhanced visual experience and holding comfort. This may lead to slight discolouration when viewed from different angles. In extremely dim lighting conditions, when the screen brightness is too low, or when using dark wallpapers, these differences can be exaggerated. If the colour cast affects your normal use, take your phone to an authorized Customer service Center for assistance.

Ok Amy you have been fed a BS line there. If that was the case why does it only start after 3 days? Why does it only apply to certain LG panels? And most importantly why hasn't anyone with the BOE display had any issues?

If this is the stance Huawei is taking I'll be getting a different phone asap and would advise others to do the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Not a free feature 😉

If you have any additional questions, please leave them in this thread. I'll try to get them all answered.
Userlevel 3
@Amy
Thanks for the reply

Nearly all flagship phones use these type of panels. Do Huawei think this is normal. If so why do other phones not have this. Maybe it's a free feature! lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

All info I have now:

The Mate 20 Pro uses an industry-leading flexible OLED screen featuring special design curved edges for an enhanced visual experience and holding comfort. This may lead to slight discolouration when viewed from different angles. In extremely dim lighting conditions, when the screen brightness is too low, or when using dark wallpapers, these differences can be exaggerated. If the colour cast affects your normal use, take your phone to an authorized Customer service Center for assistance.

This is not an official statement.
Userlevel 2
Good morning everyone,

To answer @djBarren's question: no I'm not ignoring you. We are reading every reply in this topic and are looking into this internally. As soon as I have more info, I will share it in this thread.

Hi Amy, appreciate the reply.

However a lot of us are sat here with a faulty device and no idea if and when the new stock arrives it'll be the same displays or different. None of us want to have to go through it all again so it'd help of you can find out what screens these units will have.
Userlevel 1
I can only agree, I have a Mate 20 Pro ordered, expected for delivery a week today and at the moment I'm likely to cancel it for another handset, which would be a shame
Userlevel 3
Good morning @Amy

Thanks for the reply. Do you have rough idea of timescale. As some people have a limited time to action this with there provider. Then there options on what they can do change dramatically. E.g a replacement device through there provider is time gated. Then they can only go though Huawei for a repair. Meaning no phone. And don't think most people want that option.
Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Good morning everyone,

To answer @djBarren's question: no I'm not ignoring you. We are reading every reply in this topic and are looking into this internally. As soon as I have more info, I will share it in this thread.

Can anyone explain why I'm seeing green on the edges of my Huawei mate 20 Pro?

I spoke yesterday with huawei support on the phone 3 times trying to explain them that this is a issue and is not normal. I had no results. I want a L29 not this L09... when are they planning to go public and admit they've done something wrong?!

Userlevel 3
Badge
I am experiencing the same issue on my mate 20 pro with lg model 51. Will be speaking to Vodafone about a replacement.
Userlevel 4
Just put in a request with my network provider to cancel the mate 20 pro replacement and replace it with a Google pixel 3. Way to many people complaining about the issue without any feedback from Huawei. Which to me is amateur movement.