Mate 20 Pro Intermittent Freezing

• 15 January 2019
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Only just got my mate 20 pro, and after all the hype I'm very disappointed. Been using it for about 1 week and I've noticed on multiple occasions that the screen freezes and becomes unresponsive to any touch. This can be in any app including the stock 'settings'.
I've cleared the system cache to see if this helps but still happening.
Anyone else seen this and any ideas what is causing it??

20 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Apart from a few people that were having issues using aftermarket screen protectors I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. Perhaps a full factory reset may help although unfortunately a pretty extreme potential fix.

Regards Jase
Userlevel 4
Badge
Apart from a few people that were having issues using aftermarket screen protectors I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. Perhaps a full factory reset may help although unfortunately a pretty extreme potential fix.

Regards Jase

Hi Jase,

Yeah i'm going to see what happens over the next few days after the cache clear again, but I had already thought about that one. On an aside, I did wonder IF it was something to do with internet connectivity or lack of it as it did correlate with that sometimes

Cheers
Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Are you sure the phone has not been knocked or dropped?

Are you running an alternative Android launcher like Nova?

Try uninstalling snap chat!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Are you sure the phone has not been knocked or dropped?

Are you running an alternative Android launcher like Nova?

Try uninstalling snap chat!

Positive it's not been dropped and its all stock Huawei. Not using Snapchat
Userlevel 1
Hi smeeghead, is there any memory-intensive application running in the background? is it helpful to clean up the background? or try to restore the factory.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi smeeghead, is there any memory-intensive application running in the background? is it helpful to clean up the background? or try to restore the factory.
Hi lizzy

I'm currently also looking into a massive battery drain as well so I'm redoing the charge cycle and checking the memory and battery consumption over the next few days.
Hi,
I encounter the problem too...I think so...Maybe just similar...

Screen manufacturer : Lg
Build of the phone 9.0.0.153 (CC432E10R1P16)
Screen protection : Azuri screen tempered glass Rinox Armor

So, the screen randomly freezes after i use my 4 dig-it pin.
Impossible to swipe !

I first thought it was the facial recognition that causes the trouble...Nope, disabled.

The problem seems to happen only when i'm in a dark room.

The phone vibrates sometimes and the screen lights up when the problem occurs, no sound.

My workaround till now is to scroll the top menu, go to parameters, then come back to the screen.

Till now and still investigating, i have some doubts about different things:
-Some buggy app notifications
-Some buggy app (stock ones ?)
-Defective light sensor (or driver) (But still, i didn't encounter the problem spending daylight. It has to be proven...)
-Defective update

Some people are talking about some battery drain, i'll check it too

I'll stay on touch...
Userlevel 4
Badge
Well looks like I may have inadvertently stumbled across a possible cause of the issue, although not totally resolved, it's definitely better.

I've reported a massive battery drain, and since discovered that one particular app was running in the background and just chewing the battery power. BUT, this app also was connecting via a VPN connection to upload data at specific intervals, and i'm almost certain that when there is little or no internet connectivity, it is this app that was causing the freezing, as I have now forced stopped it and all seems better (bit not perfect)

I'll let you all know if I find any more info as to the cause of the freezing.

Smeeghead
Hi Smeeghead,

Another Dwarfer lol. I have been having exactly the same issue but I usually pull down the status bar menu, choose settings, rotate the screen and then rotate back. This then "unlocks" the rest of the screen.
Prior to doing this I cannot swipe between screens or interact with any of the icons on screen and the only thing I can do is pull down the status bar menu.

I didn't notice this for the first week or so and only seems to have started after I started to use the Huawei Smart view case. Are you using this case too?

"I think we may have encountered the middle of this conversation." 😀
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Smeeghead,

Another Dwarfer lol. I have been having exactly the same issue but I usually pull down the status bar menu, choose settings, rotate the screen and then rotate back. This then "unlocks" the rest of the screen.
Prior to doing this I cannot swipe between screens or interact with any of the icons on screen and the only thing I can do is pull down the status bar menu.

I didn't notice this for the first week or so and only seems to have started after I started to use the Huawei Smart view case. Are you using this case too?

"I think we may have encountered the middle of this conversation." 😀

AHhh, Now that's the start of the conversation... ha ha

But seriously, it's the fact that the WHOLE screen just freezes, and I can't actually do ANYTHING, even swipe down from the status bar. As it happens, I've now stopped an app from running in the background and am about to do a factory refresh and install everything from scratch rather than copy from my old P10 to see if this cures all... I'll keep you posted.

"The sausages are ready...."

Smeeghead

AHhh, Now that's the start of the conversation... ha ha

But seriously, it's the fact that the WHOLE screen just freezes, and I can't actually do ANYTHING, even swipe down from the status bar. As it happens, I've now stopped an app from running in the background and am about to do a factory refresh and install everything from scratch rather than copy from my old P10 to see if this cures all... I'll keep you posted.

"The sausages are ready...."

Smeeghead

That would be great, I must admit to being loathe to try that until I know that it has a chance of working !

"...it does mean changing the light bulb"

John M
My Mate 20 Pro has started doing something similar over the last week or so, randomly exits apps with no pattern to it. Mine also freeze's, screen goes bright for a millisecond then goes blank and then comes up with the screen saying I have restarted the phone and need to enter my pin. I have cleared cache and done a factory reset, and still not cured it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Have you tried performing a factory reset on the phone, as @Lizzy-UK suggested? The phones are usually running at full performance again after a reset is being performed.

If you are having the same issue, can you please PM me the serial number of your phones? Then, I will be able to look further into this situation.

You will be able to find it on Settings > About phone > Status or on the box of the phone.

Best wishes,
Max
Having the same problem along with so many other glitches. Thinking of going back to my iphone7. Everything freezes but the home button. Face recognition sucks. Fingerprint sensor sucks. Doesn’t recognize my voice about 50 percent of the time. What a letdown. Will not be buying another HUAWEI phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Migsey,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your device. :(

Please try a reset and let us know if it helped. You can find a how to on this page.

Please keep us updated!
Sorry to necro an old thread but I have recently got a Mate 20 Pro and it is constantly freezing up, I did a factory reset as suggested and that lasted for about a week before it started freezing again.

There is clearly something wrong here, I have had Samsung phones for the last 6 years and have never had to do weekly factory resets.
I think @smeeghead got the issue correct; though for me, I don't necessarily think the issue is necessarily app related. My phone freezes when I switch from WiFi to Data. Apps become unresponsive which often makes the phone itself unresponsive as well. This sometimes results in black screens, unresponsive home/back button and unresponsive fingerprint reader, but eventually resolves itself when I leave a WiFi zone/airplane mode that my phone is unfamiliar with (not home/work) - it is beyond frustrating for a premium device. That said I had an EMUI update this morning and the issue seemed to have gone away for now... I was going to post my frustrations prior before the issue being seemingly resolved - so I share my experience.
Hi there, yes mine too, and is not the only problem, mine has also others like:
-wifi not conecting
-photos video not opening just once received in facebook and messenger
-volume goes dawn in every video calls and youtube videos and i changed two phones because of this issue thanks to my network provider
-wallet message is pop up every 2 minutes.
I called them reset it, did everythink they told me, usesless because after 2 or 4 days problems are coming back.So if you like to make factory reset daily or weekly good for you, otherwise my advice is to return it.
I also invoke the warranty, big scam, is one week since i wait for prepaid envelope and email with reference nr of claim.So i am very very disappointment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

Sorry to see that you are having these issues.

If the issues still persist after the reset suggested in this thread, please contact our support channels for a more hands-on approach: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/.
Only just got my mate 20 pro, and after all the hype I'm very disappointed. Been using it for about 1 week and I've noticed on multiple occasions that the screen freezes and becomes unresponsive to any touch. This can be in any app including the stock 'settings'.
I've cleared the system cache to see if this helps but still happening.
Anyone else seen this and any ideas what is causing it??

I’m having exactly the same problem ,  on my Mate 20 X , screen freezing when swiping  . No matter what key pad Im using it freezes , screen just stops , cant use anything .  Im vigorously trying to find my old Samsung here as need to be able to type many times  day . Its driving me nuts ! Given as a gift , been using it for 6 weeks now . Absolutely fell in love with it , the screen size , the speed of my work opening , everything , vowed not to go back to Samsung again. Great for first  3 weeks then above started . Please someone advice me on this . Ive cleared the cashe , still the same . A brand new phone and doing a google search Im not the only one thats having this problem. Please help/advise me / Thanks in advance …………….