Question

Mate 20 Pro Screen Mirroring

• 11 November 2018
  • 44 replies

I'm new to Huawei just purchased the Mate 20 Pro coming from OnePlus 3t...

I'm trying to mirror my screen to a Goggle Chromcast but the quality is awful. I've tried different apps, TVs and even another Chromcast device but its always the same poor quality. My wife uses her Samsung Galaxy S8 fine and my OnePlus 3t works perfectly.

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong or is this a known issue?

Thank you

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi jp007_uk,

Sorry to hear of the initial rough start with the brand new phone. If by chance you can provide us with some pictures to better understand what is happening I will gladly assist you with this situation.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi jp007_uk,

Sorry to hear of the initial rough start with the brand new phone. If by chance you can provide us with some pictures to better understand what is happening I will gladly assist you with this situation.

Best wishes,
Max

Hi Max,
I actually noticed this as well. Basically the resolution of what is being cast to the screen is of a far lower resolution than what's on the actual phone screen, not even standard definition quality I'd say, pictures for instance look positively pixelated. I could add a picture if you like?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Jase,

Thanks for your response! Would be great if you could share a picture of it 🙂. Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Same picture cast from mate 20 Pro, then another device. Clear to see washed out colour and missing resolution. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks, I'll ask the support guys to check this out!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Jase,

Thank you for the pictures, could you please pm me with the IMEI and Build number of the phone.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi Jase,

Thank you for the pictures, could you please pm me with the IMEI and Build number of the phone.

Best wishes,
Max

Done 👍
Userlevel 1
Please fix this huawei. Looks like its mainly google apps. Screen mirror and google images.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Terkje,

Thank you for the images. Could you also please pm me with the details of the device?

Best wishes,
Max
+1,Dito me too.
Same here
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@neil.broomfield and@Gre, Please send a DM to Max about this issue 🙂
I'm experiencing the same issue. Must DM Max with my details. Please could you help.
Regards
Robi
I have the same issue. I was excited to get started with my new mate 20 pro device, but ended up very disappointed. Casting from my previous OP 5 worked perfectly. Hope for a bug fix from Huawei on this
Hi I have the same issue, when trying to cast it says the device is not optimized for Chromecast. And the screen is very pixalted. Interestingly if I use the screen mirroring on the same TV not using Chromecast I don't experience the same issue.

But for a premium device it isn't really acceptable.
Same here on mate 20 pro. This is not acceptable for a flagship device!
@Amy @Max I've DMed you my details and haven't heard from you. Any update on this? When can we get a fix for this? I've come from my holiday and I can't cast any of my pics natively to chrome cast. And with 3rd party apps they appear horrible.

Please can you tell us when we can expect a fix?
Userlevel 1
Me too, think this is Mate 20 Pro related issue. Look in this forum:

XDA Forum
Me too!!

Quite embarrassing really - stopped bragging about my Mate 20 X until fixed.

Does @Huawei have any idea when we can expect a solution?

Thx.
Same issue here with P20 Pro. Android 8 was ok. After the Android 9 upgrade Google Photos casts to Chromecast appear completely blurry/pixelated. The receiving end is not the issue. It happens with Nvidia Shield TV which has Chromecast built-in and also to native Chromecast devices. Also tested with USB Ethernet connected to the OTG port - same issue. This is definitely a Huawei issue with Android 9. The Google Photos app with the exact same version number casts perfectly fine from a Samsung Galaxy S6.

R.I.P. QA
Hello

Does anyone have a fix for these issue?

1st. DLNA
I cannot use the DLNA feature from the stock gallery, music app or video player though I should be able to. I have tried going in to the "easy projection" settings to connect to my TV from there but my phone just can't find the tv's DLNA feature though I have no problem with other phones, both the phone and TV are connected to the same router and I've tried WiFi direct but no success. I have tried this with three different smart tv's.

2nd. Screen mirroring / projection / casting.
When screen mirroring in landscape mode there is a black border around three sides of the screen (see picture) I believe this is something to do with the notch/notification bar, either way ita very annoying.
I've tried hiding the notch and adjusting the screen resolution but still no fix, this is both wireless and using HDMI.
If anyone has found a way for full screen mirroring please advise.

And lastly when wireless casting in desktop mode and using the phone as a track pad there is a lot of lag making the track pad kind of unusable, using and HDMI adapter fixes this though. I though this phone was supposed to be super fast and have a powerful WiFi chip so why lag? (This is just an annoyance, the other two issues are the problems)

I tried to connect Samsung TV via Wireless Projection and Chrome cast without any luck..

Certain period wireless projection was working fine but now freezes after connection unable to do anything?

Chrome cast doesn't connect at alll..

Very first disappointment with this device?? is there any update available or solution available?

Thanks
Anaj
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
For those trying to connect to a Samsung Tv it seems using Samsung's own app is the best solution at the moment (Samsung smart view) just bare in mind that it will only work with files that the TV is compatible with and it's highly likely you will have stuff on your phone that's incompatible.
Fingers crossed the casting issues are dealt with in the next firmware update.

Regards Jase.
Getting an error on Mate 20 pro, when i try to download the Samsung Smart View app from play store.. Anyone else???
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Getting an error on Mate 20 pro, when i try to download the Samsung Smart View app from play store.. Anyone else???
Nope, I never had any issues downloading it at all on my mate 20 pro
Just for reference I've got an older 2012 Samsung plasma TV and the app works perfectly, except from files the TV doesn't support like I said above.

Regards Jase.