Mate 20 Pro screen scratches

• 22 November 2018
  • 18 replies

Iv had my mate 20pro for about a month now and the screen is horrendously scuffed, small scratches but everywhere. It's in a case most of the Time and never dropped. I'm very particular so have never manhandled it etc. Iv had iPhone for years with no screen protector on or cases and never had a scratch. Any ideas why it's so bad? Iv heard they have a protective film on but some people say they haven't.

18 replies

Userlevel 3
Iv had my mate 20pro for about a month now and the screen is horrendously scuffed, small scratches but everywhere. It's in a case most of the Time and never dropped. I'm very particular so have never manhandled it etc. Iv had iPhone for years with no screen protector on or cases and never had a scratch. Any ideas why it's so bad? Iv heard they have a protective film on but some people say they haven't.
The new gorilla glass they are using is more shatter/crack than scratch proof. Huawei is using cheap materials unlike Apple hence the price is so much lower.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I've not noticed any scuffs or scratches on my screen, I think you have just been terribly unlucky when handling your device.

The device uses industry standard corning "gorilla" glass as used in billions of devices from iPhones, Samsungs etc..
Userlevel 3
Badge
It's the olephobic coating that is scratching.
Userlevel 5
I have also seen scratch on mine a small one,I can't understand how it got there as I'm very careful with mine too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
If it's the coating that's scuffing I believe you can get a product to repair that..

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+apply+anti-fingerprint+oleophobic+coating/9682
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Sorry to hear the situation. To avoid such situation we highly recommend purchasing and using a screen protector of choice, be it tempered glass or plastic as you see fit.
If the screen has already been damaged please contact your local support at https://consumer.huawei.com/en/worldwide/ by selecting the region.

Best wishes,
Max
Sorry to reactivate an old thread, but did you ever resolve the issue by finding the cause, or using oleophobic liquid coating to repair it (so to speak)?

I got the Mate 20 Pro on launch day, having preordered it for my upgrade, and it arrived covered in tiny scratches. I rang my provider and they replaced it with a new phone, which I've used exclusively with a tempered glass screen protector AND shock absorbant case ever since. Which in itself seems redundant as I am extremely particular about my phone and treat it carefully. Yet, somehow, I have four or five thin scratches that are visible on the screen under certain light conditions. Just to be sure I took the protector off and, sure enough, the scratches are on the phone itself.

It seems ridiculous that the screen is so seemingly fragile, as my fiance has the P20 Pro, without a screen protector and case, works in an industrial setting, and constantly drops his phone and it still looks brand new.
Userlevel 5
Yea this pissed me off about this phone to be honest, the screen is too soft and gets scratches very easily I use a tempered glass protector which has been working fine, if I'd known the screen was that soft I'd had one fitted from the time I got it, however I still think its an awesome phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Sorry to reactivate an old thread, but did you ever resolve the issue by finding the cause, or using oleophobic liquid coating to repair it (so to speak)?

I got the Mate 20 Pro on launch day, having preordered it for my upgrade, and it arrived covered in tiny scratches. I rang my provider and they replaced it with a new phone, which I've used exclusively with a tempered glass screen protector AND shock absorbant case ever since. Which in itself seems redundant as I am extremely particular about my phone and treat it carefully. Yet, somehow, I have four or five thin scratches that are visible on the screen under certain light conditions. Just to be sure I took the protector off and, sure enough, the scratches are on the phone itself.

It seems ridiculous that the screen is so seemingly fragile, as my fiance has the P20 Pro, without a screen protector and case, works in an industrial setting, and constantly drops his phone and it still looks brand new.

Hi @Mynsii !

I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Since the screens of our devices our made using aluminosilicate glass they are not supposed to scratch or crack easily. However in unlucky conditions they could still get minor damages. Having it in pockets next to small coins/keys/other sturdy materials, placing them in backpockets or bags etc. These are just a few cases in which glass can be scratched, you can never keep a close eye on your phone's screen constantly. Since we do not manufacture the screen protectors we can not guarantee complete protection either, but it never hurts to shield the devices as much as you can while having them still comfortable to use.

Have a lovely day,
Max
I work from home due to a disability, so the phone literally just sits on a desk. Not in pockets, not in a bag. The scratches seem to come from nowhere. Even if I did work in an industrial environment, the screen shouldn't scratch so easily, and it does. Every single person I've talked to with the Mate 20 Pro complains about how easily the screens scratch. As I mentioned, my fiance has had the P20 Pro for a lot longer than I have had the Mate 20 Pro, without so much as a hint of damage.

Given how expensive the screens are to fix and replace, this puts people like me, who can't stand even the most hairline scratches, in an annoying financial situation
I have had the p20 Pro for about a week and the screen is also covered in many scratches now which are very visible, also under certain light the top right corner looks very bumpy, as if someone has rubbed a golf ball over it!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I have had the p20 Pro for about a week and the screen is also covered in many scratches now which are very visible, also under certain light the top right corner looks very bumpy, as if someone has rubbed a golf ball over it!

Hi @louisjk

The P20 pro comes with a pre-installed screen protector. As such, it is likely this that you are seeing the scratches/ imperfections on. This can be removed, although I'd advise that you replace with another screen protector. There are lots of suitable ones out there.
@Mynsii I believe its on the factory fitted screen protector though, rather than the actual screen. i will be replacing this shortly. Just check whether your scratches are on a screen protector rather than the actual screen, it should be obvious around the home button, if it looks like the home button and glass is somewhat recessed (about a quarter of a mm or so) to the rest of the "screen" its probably the protector
@Mynsii I believe its on the factory fitted screen protector though, rather than the actual screen. i will be replacing this shortly. Just check whether your scratches are on a screen protector rather than the actual screen, it should be obvious around the home button, if it looks like the home button and glass is somewhat recessed (about a quarter of a mm or so) to the rest of the "screen" its probably the protector

The Mate 20 Pro doesn't have a home button, nor did it come with a preinstalled screen protector. So that is not the issue. Curved phones are always notoriously fragile, but the screen is becoming increasingly scuffed (which, admittedly is probably the coating) as OP said, with several more noticeable scratches on the glass itself. And given the cost of replacing the screen is extortionate, I'm not sure I want to give at home repair methods a go in case I make matters worse and end up with a £200 bill.

The phone is definitely an upgrade from my previous iPhone in terms of aesthetic and capability, but the screen is hideously soft.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I installed a basic film screen cover (less than £5 from Amazon) and, while it won't prevent damage from drops, I don't need to worry about scratches and scuffs.
Probably worse screen I ever had in smartphones. I have my mate 20 pro for a 2 months and it is full with small scratches.
I have been using mate 10 pro before and I am so disappointed that the quality of the materials from mate 10 pro to mate 20 pro has drooped so much. At least mate 10 pro came with screen protector already installed in the box.
I am sorry to say but I will think twice buying next huawei product.
Userlevel 5
My son has my Mate 10 and is a lot more uncaring and heavy handed and yet he has very limited scratches next to none, my Mate 20 developed scratches just by being in my pocket with nothing else in there, 🤔 how then did the scratches get there, other thing that bothers me is I use a tempered glass screen which is good for the first few weeks but after a while dust still gets trapped around the edges and under the screen which means if this bothers you you'll be buying a new one every three to four months at 5 to 7 pounds a shot, and not all last that long either, iv had one that lasted just under a week,... I had the seller send me a new one after having to send pictures of the cracked one, which has lasted about four months now but has dust under it and around the edges now too,... works out about $40+ a year on screens.😡
Hello to all...I´m a Huawei Mate 20 X buyer from Portugal ..... I still don´t know about the screen condition but after I change Huawei soft case for one Hard case , some micro scratches appeard.
I have extremely care with my new phone...I have it for 2 month and the back cover has small scratches , also aluminium frame has small dots. I didnt´went to the beach yet.
I really want to know, is it suposed a 700 euro phone be scratched so easily special with a protection case ???
What can I do for not having a new phone looking a piece of garbage after 1 year ?????
Notice... it has 2 month and everyday a new tinny scratch appears
What should I do ??