Scratched screen on my Mate 20 after a week

• 11 February 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Today to my surprise I took out the phone out of my pocket and found it really badly scratched, like if I took sand paper and passed it on a single point.
I got many high end phones and even mid range phones and I did never see this issue not even after 2 years of use.
Isn't this supposed to be gorilla glass?
How is that possible?
I never had the need to use a glass and always kept keys and more in my pockets without issues, minor micro scratches after several months.
Is the Mate 20(non pro) screen really so delicate?!

8 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm an idiot, there is still a plastic protective film in front of the screen...
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I'm an idiot, there is still a plastic protective film in front of the screen...

Lol. We all make mistakes, but only the best people admit it 😂👍
Userlevel 4

😄😄 I've made that mistake a few times - it's easy to do. You should probably select your reply or Jmoon's answer as the best answer.
Userlevel 2
Glad it's not as bad as you thought, but do be warned, the glass is very delicate! It marks scarily easily
Hello, after having my mate 20 Pro for a very short space of time, it seems it has developed war wounds on its screen. I do not use a screen protector, but I am careful with my handsets.

Do any other mate 20 Pro users have scratches from know where?

I have a 3 year old moto x play that I used for personal and work. That I would say has less scratches than this mate 20 Pro, 4 months old has.

Oleophobic Coating, could this be what is scratching?

I can easily catch a scratch with my nail. Hairline scratches.

Is this cheap gorrila glass or is it Oleophobic Coating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Stevenmckinlay,

I moved your question to this thread. Could it be that there still a plastic protective film on your screen?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hello, after having my mate 20 Pro for a very short space of time, it seems it has developed war wounds on its screen. I do not use a screen protector, but I am careful with my handsets.

[...]

Is this cheap gorrila glass or is it Oleophobic Coating.

Huawei's new devices don't come with Gorilla glass, etc, just some kind of different protector, which is indeed rather weak to scratches etc. My Mate RS, even if properly protected, ended up getting a few tiny scratches, till I decided to put a plastic film on it.

I personnally use and recommend "ClearCoat" from Mobile Outfitters, they cut the film and then apply it on the display, but isn't as resistant as tempered glass. Thing is, tempered glass on curved displays usually doesn't last long, while a film like this yes.

Didn't even think twice and just put a ClearCoat film on my new P30 Pro right out of the box, not taking a chance again.😅
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Great tip @DRSC Media!

Did you know that there is a long thread about the best screen protectors for the Mate 20 Pro and a thread about screen protectors on the P30 Pro? Maybe you could share your tips in those threads as well.