Share your questions! - Mate 20 Pro Q&A session with a product trainer Alex

Share your questions! - Mate 20 Pro Q&A session with a product trainer Alex
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
  • Community Manager
  • 425 replies
On the 16th we introduced the Mate20 Pro...isn't it amazing🤩!? We teamed up with our product trainer Alex for our next Q&A session.

Share your questions about the Mate20 Pro
Do you have questions about the power management? Usabliity? The camera? Ask anything you'd like about the Mate 20 pro below. Alex will answer the most interesting questions in a Q&A video.

Want to get your hands on the Mate20 Pro? Take a look at the product page. And don't forget to check out Tony's blog and Rick F's blog on their first impressions.

28 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
How can I get the best effects from the camera
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
What is the format of the sd card and what will the memory size be for this new format? Can I save photos and videos to the sd card without seeing any impact on performance?

I'm thinking of using the new video modes and I see me using lots of disk space with my clips so would love to save directly to the new sd card format.
is the body metal/glass or plastic please?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I love my Mate 20 Pro and am eagerly awaiting the update which brings in the 3D live scanning using the front-facing camera, when can we expect that? Also can you give us a quick run through of what we can expect to do with this mode?
The in screen finger print sensor is awesome, are there any other in screen features that we can look out for in the upcoming releases?? We won't tell!!
From the launch I understand there is a bokeh video effect setting but this isn't showing on the device has this been delayed or does it need to be activated within a certain setting?
Userlevel 4
Badge
How do we do the health photo, where you take the image and it shows you how many calories it is
Userlevel 1
Golden wrote:

How do we do the health photo, where you take the image and it shows you how many calories it is

Hi Golden. I hope you are well. If you launch the camera, then select the top left hand corner icon under the flash, then select identify. You can then point the camera at the subject and it will tell you how many calories it has.

I hope the above helps.

Thanks

Mani
Userlevel 1
Golden wrote:

How can I get the best effects from the camera

Hi Golden. The Mate 20 Pro having A.I technology will automatically recognise the subject and the background and then adjust the correct settings for you. It will recognise many things from cat, dog, plant, tree, sunset, beach, snow etc. All you have to do is press the camera key. To get great shots always work with natural light shining on the subject.
Userlevel 1
Could you please confirm the possibility of this camera receiving 60 FPS support for 4K. When the last version of Snapdragon 845 came, it brought with it support for 60 FPS (LG V40, Galaxy S9, OnePlus 6 etc.,). Given the power of Kirin, it was natural for me to assume that Kirin 980 will bring with it the 60 FPS.
Hi there, do you know if the Dual Sim version will be available in the UK and if so where I can go about getting one?
Userlevel 1
MikeBibby wrote:

Hi there, do you know if the Dual Sim version will be available in the UK and if so where I can go about getting one?

I understand, all the models are dual SIM compatible since you can use the same to expand your storage too!
Hi there,

I would like to know where in the UK I can buy this phone with dual sim.

thanks,

Jack
I expected the mate 20 Pro to come with a screen protector fitted and a clear case just as the 'unboxing' videos on YouTube show and my p20 did. Can you tell me where I can get an original case a protector? I don't really want to buy a cheap aftermarket one from ebay. Bit disappointed it wasn't included.
After trying out 3 different types of glass screen protector and two film protectors, nothing is working with the under-display fingerprint scanner. Will there be any official screen protectors being released or are there any particular third party ones that actually work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Loving my Mate however a little miffed that he firmware version it shipped with doesn't have the enhanced AI Video effects.

My current firmware is 9.0.0.108(C432E10RP16) and its my understanding that 9.0.0.122(C432E10RP16) is the version I need.

When can we expect to get it please ? O2 have advised it is pushed out by Huawei not by themselves.
sany wrote:

MikeBibby wrote:

I understand, all the models are dual SIM compatible since you can use the same to expand your storage too!

there are 2 distinct models.

The L09 which is Single Sim +NM Card
The L29 which is a hybrid , the second sim slot can be used for the NM card as per the L09 or with a second SIM

O2 certainly are sending out the L09
chillphone wrote:

What is the format of the sd card and what will the memory size be for this new format? Can I save photos and videos to the sd card without seeing any impact on performance?

I'm thinking of using the new video modes and I see me using lots of disk space with my clips so would love to save directly to the new sd card format.

The Nano Memory (NM) Cards used by the M20P are Huawei proprietary items and do not adhere to SD card standards
Userlevel 1
mikeyw64 wrote:

sany wrote:

MikeBibby wrote:

there are 2 distinct models.

The L09 which is Single Sim +NM Card
The L29 which is a hybrid , the second sim slot can be used for the NM card as per the L09 or with a second SIM

O2 certainly are sending out the L09

Mostly the single sim version, I guess, will be the phones offered by carriers! In some markets like mine, we only get the double sim version so no confusion. I never realised there was a single sim version until I saw this post.
Userlevel 1
scott256 wrote:

After trying out 3 different types of glass screen protector and two film protectors, nothing is working with the under-display fingerprint scanner. Will there be any official screen protectors being released or are there any particular third party ones that actually work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

While I value your concern, I normally had stayed away from screen protectors. There are a few reasons for this,
  1. I want to enjoy the vibrancy of the original screen (which gets a bit muffled/dull with the screen protector on - irrespective of whatever is being claimed by the screen protector company)
  2. Screen protectors are the existing remains of yesteryear phones. Now we have improved Gorilla glass every passing year. I do understand, there are chances of getting minute scuffs anyway from keys and coins in the pocket. However, with screen protector it is just a sacrifice for me listed in point number 1.
  3. Also this helps us to be more cautious with the screen.
  4. I also decided, I will not invest more on the cosmetic accessories more than once as it all adds up to the cost of the phone as I normally hold on to a phone for two years maximum and something or the other gets outdated in the fast paced tech world. So keep your further investment on a device to minimal. I suggest not to look for expensive covers or protectors if you are someone that changes the phones on a regular basis.
  5. I normally go towards a back cover or any other minimals like skins from dbrands as I believe, we are hiding away the beauty in the design of these phones given the fact that the look of the phone also had played a part in our buying decision and do not want to hide the pride of it with protectors and flip covers.
Don't be too worried for the screen protector, take as it goes until one day you spot the right one. Hope these thoughts or mine helps in someway.
Userlevel 1
Rick F wrote:

The in screen finger print sensor is awesome, are there any other in screen features that we can look out for in the upcoming releases?? We won't tell!!

I am sure the currently available apps that support fingerprint support from physical fingerprint buttons will work on this too. There is a camera at the bottom of the screen behind a small circular cutout which reads the finger prints, so any gimmicks/tricks for any upcoming feature utilizing this reader will be limited to that small circle and this means not too many we can expect our of the current in-screen reader.
Userlevel 1
Golden wrote:

I understand all these features are AI dependent. If you had accidentally deactivated the AI mode in your camera for the sake of avoiding the AI treatment, you may have to enable it back. All of the AI features are interlinked to that enabling AI in setting.
Userlevel 1
JackLittleworth wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to know where in the UK I can buy this phone with dual sim.

thanks,

Jack

I think if you buy from a carrier it will mostly be a single sim, the dual sim would all hopefully be carrier independent ones.
amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J6NMTVG?ie=UTF8&tag=etaleukhuawei-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B07J6NMTVG

fonehouse: https://www.fonehouse.co.uk/Huawei-Mate-20-Pro?htrid=167417

However confirm with the buyer before you commit.

S
sany wrote:

Rick F wrote:

I am sure the currently available apps that support fingerprint support from physical fingerprint buttons will work on this too. There is a camera at the bottom of the screen behind a small circular cutout which reads the finger prints, so any gimmicks/tricks for any upcoming feature utilizing this reader will be limited to that small circle and this means not too many we can expect our of the current in-screen reader.

Depends on the App I think.
Outlook works with the fingerprint on the M20P but my Santander app plain refuses to play ball (although it worked on my Motorola G4+.just fine)

That said the Santander app on my GFs P20 doesn't play ball with Huaweis fingerprint scanner either thinking about it
Hey Huawei,

I've received a Mate 20 Pro here in the UK but to my great disappointment, for me it has a MAJOR disadvantage as compared to my old OnePlus 3 - it's single SIM!!

Please.... Why??

Otherwise, here is my opinion compared to a 2.5 year old OnePlus 3:

+ Great camera(s), faster, nice selection of Huawei apps

- Single SIM version, quite narrow screen, feels much heavier, overall feels worse quality than One Plus 3, fingertip magnet, SIM tray quality questionable, volume/power buttons a bit on a loose side, volume increase/decrease not very smooth.

Oddly, the screen is much better quality on the paper, but One Plus 3 looks better with much lower resolution - it's more natural and readable.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but that's what it is.

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings