System Updates on Mate 20 pro

• 9 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
I have A mate 20 pro , whilst I love the phone I detest the ota updates that Huawei impart and how they deliver the updates. Continuously late, and random as to when the end user gets them. Support offer nothing, yes they say they will push it but I wonder if they actually do anything of the sort?

I'm on 153, I believe a 183 build is out and then read a 196 build elsewhere. It's ridiculous Huawei. Come on, invest in your customers like we invested in you.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi Buxtonlad,

I think the phones had three possibly four updates since its release and as you say there's another one on the way but just not released hear just yet. Could be better perhaps but it's pretty much in line with every other manufacturer except for Apple. It's definitely a pain that Vodafone and other providers need to check it doesn't conflict with there software first because this obviously slows down when we actually get the update, this definitely contributes to the delay but is outwith Huawei's control.
Just need to be patient I guess, hopefully it's here soon

Regards Jase.
Userlevel 1
Hi Jase. When I spoke to ee (my provider) they categorically state ee have no involvement in the software updates. It's the whole ota system that needs an overhaul. I've owned a one plus phone before and the number, and frequency of updates is a lot quicker than any other phone brand I've owned and that's been quite a few. Again, I love the mate 20 pro but It's a very expensive phone and I want to be able to ensure my phone receives the latest security and bug fixes in a timely manner. For that would involve me being able to install the file via Huawei suite before the ota is eventually released.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi Jase. When I spoke to ee (my provider) they categorically state ee have no involvement in the software updates. It's the whole ota system that needs an overhaul. I've owned a one plus phone before and the number, and frequency of updates is a lot quicker than any other phone brand I've owned and that's been quite a few. Again, I love the mate 20 pro but It's a very expensive phone and I want to be able to ensure my phone receives the latest security and bug fixes in a timely manner. For that would involve me being able to install the file via Huawei suite before the ota is eventually released.
Yeah I get what your saying as I came from OnePlus myself, they are absolutely the best at updating bar getting the Google pixel phones so it's kinda hard for other manufacturers to compete with that. Oneplus only sell one phone pretty much, Google only has a few pixel phones. All other manufacturers have way more than that so it's not a fair comparison. What EE are telling you though is not true, Huawei send the updates to them and then they are 100% tested by the carrier to make sure it doesn't conflict with any of their own pre installed software.
Anyway I'm as much looking forward to the next update as yourself, so I hope it's soon too.

Regards Jase
Userlevel 4
I have both a p20 Pro and mate 20 pro. My p20 is still waiting for emui 9 and stuck on Octobers security patch.

The mate 20 pro has had about 4 updates, the first two enabled apps/software advertised at the launch. The other two were security patches and changes to the camera app removing the 5x zoom toggle.

Now in back to being 2 months behind on security patches and the re addition of the 5x zoom.