Testing out the Mate 20 Pro camera

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Huawei Wonder
  • 230 replies
As its my day off today I decided to take the Mate 20 Pro to one of my favourite local photography spots, St. Mary's Lighthouse in Whitley Bay.

This isn't an in-depth camera review, that's coming next month when I take the phone to Kielder for 4 days, this is simply the first chance I've had to really get out and give this phone a quick test and I'm really pleased with the results. I've taken many photos of this lighthouse from all sorts of angles at different times of day; some using zoom, some in monochrome, some even taken with a 360° camera but this is the first time I've shot with a wide-angle lens. When I received this phone last week and realised Huawei had replaced the monochrome sensor with a wide-angle lens I couldn't wait to get out and use it.

This first shot was taken around the rear of the lighthouse. There isn't much room to stand back and get a full shot of the whole building so this is where the wide-angle lens really came into its own, allowing me to fit everything into a single shot without needing to either stitch several images together, shoot in Panorama mode or hire a boat to get far enough back to capture everything.

This next shot was taken from the front and again the wide-angle lens allowed me to get everything in shot at once. I had hoped to stand a bit further back on the causeway and get the water on each side in view but it was an incredibly windy day and I didn't trust this new phone on my tripod with gales blowing at it.

Lastly, I just had to snap some shots of my daughter playing on the sand. One thing this phone really excels at is taking portrait shots, the bokeh effect (where the background blurs while the foreground remains sharp) works brilliantly here.

I'm really pleased with the results here. When I first got my P20 Pro I didn't think it would be topped for a long time, I thought it was going to be a one-off camera-centric mobile similar to what Nokia did years ago with the Lumia 1020. How wrong I was, the Mate 20 Pro is the new king of mobile photography.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
What a solid review with storing pictures of the various aspects of distance, brightness and degrees of background. Thank you for shaing these insights.
Userlevel 1
Very good shots - they look like a product of DSLR. I am assuming all these were taken with the auto mode and not in pro mode. They look very pro! ☺
What do you think of the video capabilities?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
sany wrote:

Very good shots - they look like a product of DSLR. I am assuming all these were taken with the auto mode and not in pro mode. They look very pro! ☺

What do you think of the video capabilities?

Hi Sany

Yes these were all taken on auto-mode, I will be testing out the Pro mode next month in a lot of depth.

As for video, coming from a P20 Pro to this I'd say its a massive improvement. Hopefully Huawei can add support for 60fps at 4K but at least it's now stabilised. The video I've shot so far is great and I love the neat little AI tricks it's capable of.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Here's some more photos taken a few days ago at Whitehouse Farm in Northumberland. I'm so impressed with what this phone can do, I think I'll rarely be carrying my dedicated camera around with me from now on.

Userlevel 1
Tony wrote:

Here's some more photos taken a few days ago at Whitehouse Farm in Northumberland. I'm so impressed with what this phone can do, I think I'll rarely be carrying my dedicated camera around with me from now on.

That's my idea too, though I would want to use this for video recording more. While I want to use my Panasonic bridge camera along with Mate 20 pro for photos. Great pictures, lots of details, nice and sharp!
Userlevel 1
Tony wrote:

As its my day off today I decided to take the Mate 20 Pro to one of my favourite local photography spots, St. Mary's Lighthouse in Whitley Bay.

This isn't an in-depth camera review, that's coming next month when I take the phone to Kielder for 4 days, this is simply the first chance I've had to really get out and give this phone a quick test and I'm really pleased with the results. I've taken many photos of this lighthouse from all sorts of angles at different times of day; some using zoom, some in monochrome, some even taken with a 360° camera but this is the first time I've shot with a wide-angle lens. When I received this phone last week and realised Huawei had replaced the monochrome sensor with a wide-angle lens I couldn't wait to get out and use it.

This first shot was taken around the rear of the lighthouse. There isn't much room to stand back and get a full shot of the whole building so this is where the wide-angle lens really came into its own, allowing me to fit everything into a single shot without needing to either stitch several images together, shoot in Panorama mode or hire a boat to get far enough back to capture everything.

This next shot was taken from the front and again the wide-angle lens allowed me to get everything in shot at once. I had hoped to stand a bit further back on the causeway and get the water on each side in view but it was an incredibly windy day and I didn't trust this new phone on my tripod with gales blowing at it.

Lastly, I just had to snap some shots of my daughter playing on the sand. One thing this phone really excels at is taking portrait shots, the bokeh effect (where the background blurs while the foreground remains sharp) works brilliantly here.

I'm really pleased with the results here. When I first got my P20 Pro I didn't think it would be topped for a long time, I thought it was going to be a one-off camera-centric mobile similar to what Nokia did years ago with the Lumia 1020. How wrong I was, the Mate 20 Pro is the new king of mobile photography.

Hi @Tony

In the last picture, which mode was used (Portrait or Aperture)?

thanks
S

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings