Answered

Touchscreen delay on Mate 20 Pro

Userlevel 1
Hi

I have the Mate 20 Pro, l09. UK Ee. Technically 2 months behind on updates now with 1st December security patch. Ver 153.

Anyway when you use the touch screen, there is a small delay before it registers.

You can see this when you use a drawing app.. When you scroll it takes a 1 to 2 mm movement before the screen reacts.

This was fixed on the P20 Pro with an update but not on the Mate 20 Pro 153 version.

Just wanted to highlight this to Huawei and others and see what happens. It's unacceptable on a 800 quid flagship.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by smeeghead 1 February 2019, 14:17

Hi @Max

Thanks for that. As it happens I Installed update 18 7 last night and I've still got the same issue

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 3
biffsmash wrote:

Hi

I have the Mate 20 Pro, l09. UK Ee. Technically 2 months behind on updates now with 1st December security patch. Ver 153.

Anyway when you use the touch screen, there is a small delay before it registers.

You can see this when you use a drawing app.. When you scroll it takes a 1 to 2 mm movement before the screen reacts.

This was fixed on the P20 Pro with an update but not on the Mate 20 Pro 153 version.

Just wanted to highlight this to Huawei and others and see what happens. It's unacceptable on a 800 quid flagship.

Thanks.

Hi @biffsmash

I've also noticed something peculiar when using the screen to 'draw' on the keyboard. Instead of a continuous line showing the direction of drawing the word, I get a broken line as though the screen starts/stops recognising my finger touch. Don't know if it is related or not but does sound like it is!

Have the technical team been informed of anything like this @Amy ??

Cheers
Smeeghead
Userlevel 1
Yes I notice that too. I think it'll be related for sure.
Thanks for the reply I'm glad it's not just me noticing these things.
Userlevel 3
Excellent, I thought I was going nuts seeing that.

The keyboard/scrren issue needs to be passed to tech support I reckon @Amy
Userlevel 3
Also, maybe @Max already knows something about this??!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi @biffsmash, @smeeghead,

Thank you for voicing your concerns!

I have forwarded this further to the development to look into the matter.
Please let us know if this has been fixed with the upcoming update!

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 3
Hi @Max

Thanks for that. As it happens I Installed update 18 7 last night and I've still got the same issue
Userlevel 1
smeeghead wrote:

Hi @Max

What network are you on? I'm still waiting for that update. EE network.
Userlevel 3
Yup I'm on EE as well
What is new on this update? Thank you.
Same here...UK ee user. Is the delay caused by Huawei or ee? Either way it's really frustrating.
Userlevel 3
This straight from the change log:-

[Camera]
Adds super macro mode to Camera. It can be found under More. Improves the zoom shortcut in the viewfinder

[System navigation]
Improves the smoothness of Gestures system navigation

[call]
Improves call experience in certain circumstances

[Apps]
Adds HUAWEI Wallet as a pre-installed app

[Security]
Integrates Google security patches released in January 2019 for improved system security. For more information on the security of Huawei EMUI system updates, please visit the official Huawei website :
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/bulletin/2019/1/
Userlevel 3
Not sure about the delay though!!
Userlevel 1
I'm getting really annoyed with this delay. Huawei support told me via email they'd push an update to me but it would take up to 2 weeks.

I am still unsure the update will fix the touch lag.

I'm beginning to wish I'd stuck with my P20 Pro now as the night mode blew this away and the wide camera isn't proving as fun as I'd hoped hehe.
As much as I have loved my p20 pro and now mate 20 pro, I am going to make the move to one plus 7 as I find they update their devices a lot quicker than Huawei. It's a great shame Huawei sky up their game with updates. At the very least they should allow users to update via a file moreso than being forced to wait for an ota which takes weeks to arrive.
Userlevel 1
Update came this morning. Still have the touch delay.
When you use a drawing app it shows that the line doesn't start drawing til you've moved your finger at least 1 to 2 mm then catches up.
It is causing significant lag for me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi @biffsmash,

Does the touch delay only happen when you are using the drawing application or at all times?

There might be a slight delay in certain third party application for numerous amount of reasons, as they are not always 100% compatible with the software of the device.

Also, do you have a protective film case attached on your device screen by any chance? If so, could you kindly remove this and see if the touchscreen delay is still present afterwards?

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!😀
Max
Userlevel 1
Hi

It happens all the time, it's just noticable for you to see the effect on those apps including the built in keyboard.

If you simply scroll, it doesn't register the movement straight away.

There is no screen protector.
Userlevel 1
Max wrote:

Hi @biffsmash,

Does the touch delay only happen when you are using the drawing application or at all times?

There might be a slight delay in certain third party application for numerous amount of reasons, as they are not always 100% compatible with the software of the device.

Also, do you have a protective film case attached on your device screen by any chance? If so, could you kindly remove this and see if the touchscreen delay is still present afterwards?

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!😀

Max

This is still happening. Its infuriating. Update fixed it on the p20 Pro but its still resent on 187 update. There are videos on line showing it. You move a stylus up and down with a touchscreen multutouch app on and the circles don't move unless you are moving 2 or 3 mm fast.
If that makes sense.
Needs a fix.
Userlevel 3
Yup, I'll confirm it's still happening in various 'STOCK' apps as well as the keyboard

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings