Answered

USB-C headphone, does it support playing with Mate 20 (non-pro version)?

• 18 June 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi folks,

I am considering to buy a usb-c headphone. My phone is Mate 20 (non-pro) with 3.5 mm jack. I'm wondering if any of you ever try usb-c headphone?

Any idea?
icon

Best answer by chillphone 18 June 2019, 14:31

Hello,

I've just tested USBC headphones as working with the Mate20 lite.

Mate lite has 3 options for headphones.

Jack, usbc and Bluetooth!

I used the free USB C that I got with the Pro.
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I cannot guarantee type-C works on the Mate 20, as I do not have one to test, but I can say that Huawei's ANC-3 (type-C) headphones work just fine on the P10, which has a headphone jack, as well as on the Mate 9, which also has a headphone jack.

In theory yes, they'll work just fine. Although be careful with compatiblity, I've already seen a few headphones out there not being recognized by the [Huawei] phone.

Maybe somebody else, owning a Mate 20, can confirm this though.
I cannot guarantee type-C works on the Mate 20, as I do not have one to test, but I can say that Huawei's ANC-3 (type-C) headphones work just fine on the P10, which has a headphone jack, as well as on the Mate 9, which also has a headphone jack.

In theory yes, they'll work just fine. Although be careful with compatiblity, I've already seen a few headphones out there not being recognized by the [Huawei]
phone.

Maybe somebody else, owning a Mate 20, can confirm this though.

As far as I know, the USB-C headphone has its own DAC. Hence, it is possible that some DAC might be incompatible with Huawei phone. What I do not know is that how many different protocols it uses to link between the phone and DAC. That's why I need people with the same model to confirm.

Can you name some headphone models that do not recognised by the phone?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Generally the cheap, "chinese" (no-name) brands that cost a few bucks, although I doubt you're going for those.

Also seen a specific model from Beats (the overpriced headphone brand thing from Apple) that just did not want to work with an adapter for Type-C, although in this case the issue was the adapter.

The ANC-3 are from Huawei & compatible with all the Kirin 970 & higher models, although those are earphones and not headphones, so I don't think it's what you're looking for😛

@Amy could you please tag some Mate 20 (non-Pro) owners, see if they have any recommendations?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hello,

I've just tested USBC headphones as working with the Mate20 lite.

Mate lite has 3 options for headphones.

Jack, usbc and Bluetooth!

I used the free USB C that I got with the Pro.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Perhaps @Tboy2000 can help?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@jskasia I also have the Mate 20 non pro and use the Huawei Noise Cancelling USB C headphones and they work perfectly. So I assume any USB C headphones should work.
so if i own a mate 20 lite will be able to use any headsets that use a type c connector instead of a headphone jack?
@jskasia I also have the Mate 20 non pro and use the Huawei Noise Cancelling USB C headphones and they work perfectly. So I assume any USB C headphones should work.

Thanks and sorry, I haven't checked for a while.

I was trying to buy a usb-c dac/amp for the phone. Just wondering if it will work with mate 20 non pro.